Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Yeah if an act is known for their collabs and bring one or two out that’s fine. But for instance I felt Macca wheeling out Springsteen and Grohl was a touch unnecessary, especially as Bruce did one of his own songs!

Unnecessary perhaps, but Glory Days was one of my favourite ever Glastonbury moments.

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'm largely inclined to agree. Guests when relevant or appropriate can add a huge pop, but it can also smack of an act not having the material or the chutzpah to carry a headline show.

Memory lets me down, but did the Stones have anyone? I don't think they did?

Mick Taylor.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

“I don’t like them therefore they shouldn’t headline” is the default position for many on here.

Which is somewhat less bizarre than "I've never listened to a single song of theirs but they are a shit booking".

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Yeah I don't block anyone - I read this shite uncensored, just as nature intended. 

I can enderstand folks not appreciating people piling in to diss an act on a thread about them, but if its headliners then surely a range of views is allowed?  Especially before the poster is out. 

If you think someone is poo pooing the poo poo, then give them some open questions and ask what they would prefer to see maybe? 

In the end we had to disband the forum. Morale totally destroyed. By poo poo.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I do think there's a difference between "of note" and "fuck all" though. Or fuh all for that matter.

The Cure hadn't released an album in 11 years ahead of their set. The Stones were just pumping out Best Of after Best Of. The Who had done fuck all in years....

It's not a new phenomenon at all for a heritage headliner....

11 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

surely someone can be a shit booking in terms of them not releasing any new music ? 

It depends how big they were/are.  If they can still sell out stadiums then no, they aren't a shit booking. 

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

The Cure hadn't released an album in 11 years ahead of their set. The Stones were just pumping out Best Of after Best Of. The Who had done fuck all in years....

Although the Stones had released Doom & Gloom in 2013, which was the best thing they've done since the 80's.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Not quite the same though as he's an ex member of The Stones

18 minutes ago, Quark said:

Does a former member count as a guest? One for the philosophers.

He's not in the band anymore, he's was a guest, I was very excited to see him. His contributions were some of the highlights of the set.

The problem with special guests is it could always be someone you can't stand. Thankfully I wasn't at Coldplay when they wheeled out Barry Gibb but I was trapped with no way out when The Killers enforced the bloody Pet Shop Boys on us.

1 minute ago, stuie said:

It depends how big they were/are.  If they can still sell out stadiums then no, they aren't a shit booking. 

i guess so ....its interesting to see the wide divide over GnR though ... probably more than ive seen over any single act in my time here ....  

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

True, although The Who are probably the standouts in there for me for having release sweet FA in terms of studio albums. 33 year gap between album and headline slot on 2015! They're closest to the GnR debate as a comparison, and tbh I was equally ambivalent about them headlining!

Stones had been releasing without doing much of note.

The Cure are an interesting one, less output but remained active.

For me personally the GnR thing is because they burned so brightly for such a short period of time, but then absolutely 100% imploded.  The whole thing of it just being Axl and his ego for so long, only 3 studio albums of note and then 17 years until CD came out (I'm not including Spaghetti Incident as an album of covers), all of that just adds up to a band that is more heavily based on heritage than anything else.

They just sit in a very odd space for me. Always have. And I say that as someone who thinks Appetite is one of the greatest things ever recorded.

If anything, and this is gonna cause a scene, I'd equate them to Spice Girls. Massive name that everyone knows, huge fanbase, and absolutely dominated things while they were at the top.  But if you strip it back and take away the hype they both released a very limited number of albums in that time, and while they have some songs that are absolute monsters they actually don't have a huge number of songs that hit the popular  consciousness. It's just those that did really hit home.

Right, gonna sit back and watch responses. This should be fun.

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1