Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

5 hours ago, august1 said:

Did Macca ever get fined for breaking the curfew? He went on fairly late

its the festival which would get fined, not the act (tho the fesstival might charge the act for the fine).

7 hours ago, topmarksbri said:

Would GnR be least popular booking of recent times? Not seen anyone who's gassed about prospect. 

GnR are 1 of the top 2 bands that i detest, alongside simply red. I'll hopefully be at the furthest possible point away from the pyramid while they're on.  

saying that i may take a look purely for the smug factor to prove the level of shitness i hold them in is justified.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, august1 said:

Did Macca ever get fined for breaking the curfew? He went on fairly late

He went over late, not started late. But yeah, its the festival who gets the fine. Although fair to say they knew he was going to go over curfew so even the council had an idea about it. Still get fined but no matter, Paul has money to spare

1 hour ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

GnR are 1 of the top 2 bands that i detest, alongside simply red. I'll hopefully be at the furthest possible point away from the pyramid while they're on.  

saying that i may take a look purely for the smug factor to prove the level of shitness i hold them in is justified.

Life is too short to go and see an act just to confirm you hate them. 

I can appreciate that you don’t like them, that’s cool, but seriously, go and have some fun.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Life is too short to go and see an act just to confirm you hate them. 

I can appreciate that you don’t like them, that’s cool, but seriously, go and have some fun.

Yep. I never understand people going to something they are convinced they will hate. Plenty of other stuff on. Go find your joy instead. 

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

He went over late, not started late. But yeah, its the festival who gets the fine. Although fair to say they knew he was going to go over curfew so even the council had an idea about it. Still get fined but no matter, Paul has money to spare

Went on means "went for a long time", dude.

1 minute ago, GeezLouise said:

Can you explain What that means in headliner terms? (I’ve never placed a bet in my life)

Basically - it's shown as a ratio - the "winnings" are shown first and the relative stake is second.

So for Arctic Monkeys - if you bet £10 at 1/5, and won, you'd get £12 back - £2 winnings plus your original £10 stake.

Whereas for The 1975, at 5/1, the return on a £10 bet would be £60 - £50 winnings plus the £10 stake.

Obviously you only get the stake back if you do win.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

Can you explain What that means in headliner terms? (I’ve never placed a bet in my life)

and to add to the above response in even more basic terms, AM and GnR are more likely (in bookies terms) than 50-50, than any other bet. In other words, they both look more likely than not, according to the odds (which others here will tell you is complete BS for various reasons). 

8 hours ago, sophiemarie said:

Would GnR be too big for Other on Sunday?

Curious to see how they divert what will undoubtedly be a massive crowd at Elton John.

I pitched this in the GnR thread and got ignored but it reminds me of the Prince/Metallica situation in 2014 where Metallica would have helped split the crowd up (until the Purple One had his change of heart).

10 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Yep. I never understand people going to something they are convinced they will hate. Plenty of other stuff on. Go find your joy instead. 

i went to see Springsteen, just so i could say he was boring from my experience rather than expectation. Eventually, everyone came around to my view.

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

i.e. its not something they do - or something they need to do.

it is something they do, and need to do to avoid big crowd movements, and avoid places getting too full.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I genuinely can't think of any stadium / Pyramid-headliner sized bands counter-programmed onto the Other Stage at headliner time or legend set time to offset the crowds.

the whole time they're weighing up the appeal of the acts on the other stages, and the effects it has with crowds, its a huge part of licencing and safety management.

9 hours ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

and to add to the above response in even more basic terms, AM and GnR are more likely (in bookies terms) than 50-50, than any other bet. In other words, they both look more likely than not, according to the odds (which others here will tell you is complete BS for various reasons). 

And that is what ‘reopened the market’ means? 

12 hours ago, sophiemarie said:

Would GnR be too big for Other on Sunday?

Curious to see how they divert what will undoubtedly be a massive crowd at Elton John.

yep 2 stadium shows in the uk

3 hours ago, Neil said:

it is something they do, and need to do to avoid big crowd movements, and avoid places getting too full.

Not always

Megan thee stallion was against macca and she couldn't even sell out a single brixton date (no, i'm not joking!)

But then again Macca, Elton, Stones whatever.. land a name like that and the field will be flooded. Regardless of what you put as a counter. 

Also I think it’s a bit of a suicide slot for other acts on the bill, so I can’t imagine another massive name taking it. What’s the point in playing Glastonbury if your set will be overshadowed at the outset.