Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

15 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

What's your worst possible clash of the festival? 

Elton / QOTSA / Fred Again / Pavement on Sunday would destroy me. 

That or Prodigy/Elton. Basically if I can see Fred/Prodigy/Elton in some form, then I'll be having a fantastic festival. Sling a nice big-ish rock act on as a sub headliner for one of the stages and I'll be very happy. 

1 minute ago, Neil said:

gnr don't seem very glastonbury. if they were very glastonbury, then glastonbury would have booked them 20+ years ago.

They may not have been available 20+ years ago. And the ‘not very Glastonbury’ argument is the same one that got applied to Jay-Z, Metallica, Kanye, Stormzy etc. Not liking them is perfectly fine (I’m not a huge fan) but that’s all it is. Personal preference. 

1 minute ago, Jose Pose said:

But he’s just said Macca was too big to navigate and Elton will be the same, so I’m confused by the acts he does actually want booked for the Pyramid, they can’t be too big or too small, so who does that leave?

i would go and try to see elton, but based on macca this year it wouldn't be possible to navigate around the crowds to somewhere i could watch so this year i've got two headliners i have no interest in, and a third i would struggle to access. on the other stages are fewer and fewer acts (each year)to my interest; that tells me i'm getting too old for it, so probably a good year for me to  save the very high ticket price,  and quit.

4 minutes ago, sisco said:

You want a reaction.  What does it matter, seriously? 

Sorry dude, disability got chucked in as a reason for chucking a ticket back in because GnR were booked, but big acts are too big for the disability too.

Excuse me for being confused, this place is such a bizarre circle jerk.

Edited by Jose Pose

27 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

This was on the basis of thewayiam saying that Arctics wouldn't go up against a dance act.

Can't see QOTSA going up against Arctics or GnR. The only other option I can see is them subbing Elton or Arctics, with the latter I can't see happening. 

Ah I see. I think. A dance act v Arctics makes perfect sense though really.

Just now, MEGABOWL said:

They may not have been available 20+ years ago. And the ‘not very Glastonbury’ argument is the same one that got applied to Jay-Z, Metallica, Kanye, Stormzy etc. Not liking them is perfectly fine (I’m not a huge fan) but that’s all it is. Personal preference. 

i wasn't making this argument to any of the acts you name your defence of my argument is to pretend i'm saying something different to what i am.

Just now, Neil said:

i would go and try to see elton, but based on macca this year it wouldn't be possible to navigate around the crowds to somewhere i could watch so this year i've got two headliners i have no interest in, and a third i would struggle to access. on the other stages are fewer and fewer acts (each year)to my interest; that tells me i'm getting too old for it, so probably a good year for me to  save the very high ticket price,  and quit.

Makes sense. If you don’t think you’re gonna enjoy it, it’s not worth the money, hassle, and perennial gamble with the weather.

Just now, Neil said:

i wasn't making this argument to any of the acts you name your defence of my argument is to pretend i'm saying something different to what i am.

No but plenty do, as part of an attempt to apply a deeper meaning to what is simple personal preference. Reality is what makes an act ‘Glastonbury’ is them being booked to play Glastonbury.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

And that’s fair enough, so GnR aren’t actually the reason you’re putting your ticket back, it would’ve been easier just to have said that from the start wouldn’t it.

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It goes without saying that Neil's (and others in a similar situation) personal circumstances aside, to which I have every sympathy, personally I think it's an irrational response to reject an entire weekend for the sake of a handful of acts when there is so much other music, performance, art and general social activity to enjoy. Of course everyone is free to make their own choice based on whatever they deem appropriate and whatever their personal circumstances, and I'd always encourage them to voice their opinions, but you well know that there's more to discover over the course of five days, and regardless of the price increase, in the context of other similar activities, it still represents good value. My point is, for those able to freely enjoy the festival, take a deeper look into what's on offer. It's far more than that Pyramid, in fact I'd suggest that the vast majority of what makes the week so special, is found outside of that field...and beyond even the music itself. But you know that.

And make no mistake, if someone doesn't want to go, just check out that resale thread. There's plenty of people who'll snap that ticket up.

I think the argument of talking about what else there is to offer at Glastonbury, on possibly one of the most popular forums of festival going in general, that is mainly associated with Glastonbury, is a silly argument, especially when that argument is presented at the person who made the forum. I would say the majority of people who come here and post here regularly, even if they haven't been before, have an idea of what the festival is and does, especially outside the pyramid. 2019 was one of my favourite years overall, I saw 2 acts on the Pyramid, last year was a phenomenal year for music but overall very hectic and difficult due to how many acts I saw in that field.  Some people need to justify a few 'Must see's for the price to make sense. Most of my group aren't going because of the price, they've been going since 2014/2015 but just can't justify it. They're all in full time work with the majority with savings, The only reason I'm able to justify it this year mentally is because of Elton. 

2 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

And that’s fair enough, so GnR aren’t actually the reason you’re putting your ticket back,

they are the reason to throw my ticket back, as i planned to go up until i believed  gnr are headlining - the final straw!

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

I think the argument of talking about what else there is to offer at Glastonbury, on possibly one of the most popular forums of festival going in general, that is mainly associated with Glastonbury, is a silly argument, especially when that argument is presented at the person who made the forum. I would say the majority of people who come here and post here regularly, even if they haven't been before, have an idea of what the festival is and does, especially outside the pyramid. 2019 was one of my favourite years overall, I saw 2 acts on the Pyramid, last year was a phenomenal year for music but overall very hectic and difficult due to how many acts I saw in that field.  Some people need to justify a few 'Must see's for the price to make sense. Most of my group aren't going because of the price, they've been going since 2014/2015 but just can't justify it. They're all in full time work with the majority with savings, The only reason I'm able to justify it this year mentally is because of Elton. 

Oddly I questioned the price today.  Bought myself and family (4 of us in total) tickets to Victorious festival for £500.  When you see it written down it did make me question £350 ish for Glastonbury for just me. 

2 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

And that’s fair enough, so GnR aren’t actually the reason you’re putting your ticket back, it would’ve been easier just to have said that from the start wouldn’t it.

Neil has a strong dislike to GnR and arguments and personal insults to anyone that suggested they were playing had threads deleted. That's Neil, I've argued his attitude towards other posters constantly, to the point he's not even apologised to the person that came up with Arctics/GnR/Elton. You'll never get anywhere with it. 

This headliner news works out in my favour. Everyone has their own reasons for going to the festival, and my top reason is the music. I always want to see at least one headliner... But this year, I have absolutely no interest in any of the 3... I don't have any FOMO from not having a ticket for the first time since I started going.

I hope anyone with a ticket enjoys themselves, but I've now got myself a free weekend in June!

Just now, sisco said:

Oddly I questioned the price today.  Bought myself and family (4 of us in total) tickets to Victorious festival for £500.  When you see it written down it did make me question £350 ish for Glastonbury for just me. 

Yup. When you can get an all expenses paid trip to somewhere nice in Europe for 7 days for £500 in September. When just the festival ticket is £350, not including spending and travel money, it starts becoming difficult. I'll probably be spending upwards of £500 and I still need to buy a new tent as the tent I have was for me, my partner and a friend. Me and my partner had this exact same argument, they prefer smaller gigs and smaller festivals. Would much rather do a few smaller festivals and a holiday that a big Glastonbury trip. 

4 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

i was justifying it cos of elton, but the reasons why its better not to go keep on mounting up, lots of people complained about the crowding last year, so imagine how difficult those crowds are when on a mobility scooter. this years memories are of  me trying not to run people down, and not of the bands i saw, cos i didn't see so many of the acts i wanted to, cos getting to them was such a chore.

Likelihood:

Arctics 60%: I’m a fairly big fan, but… I really don’t like the last two albums, and I’m already seeing them in Manchester a few weeks before. The lure of hearing some older classics on the Pyramid will probably be enough for me, but open to other options.

GnR 10%: One or two songs I wouldn’t mind hearing, but praying for some good alternatives. Weak booking IMO.

Elton 70%: Not a huge fan but evidently a great booking and has the potential to be a special occasion.

I feel more disappointed with the lack of anticipation and surprise for any Headliner announcement than the actual quality (or not) of the artists themselves at the moment. 

When the inevitable info does seem to come it'll just be ratification of something already discussed at length rather than exciting news to digest. 

Edited by Chef

Just now, Chef said:

I feel more disappointed with the lack of anticipation and surprise for any Headliner announcement than the actual quality (or not) of the artists themselves at the moment. 

That's on you for hanging around a forum where this is all pored over in detail. 90% of attendees will hear it first in an announcement.

19 minutes ago, Neil said:

gnr don't seem very glastonbury. if they were very glastonbury, then glastonbury would have booked them 20+ years ago.

20+ years ago Glastonbury were booking the likes of Travis, Skunk Anansie and Stereophonics to headline.

They would never have been able to afford GnR.