Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Also, you would be amazed how quickly a man's principles change when faced with a massive divorce bill.

He'll have seen the massive popularity the Pulp and Blur reunions have and be thinking "yeah I'll have some of that..."

I expect he earns enough from his current band to have to worry about reforming Oasis.

1 hour ago, a6l6e6x said:

Yeh I sit down between sets when there's space to, especially on Sunday when my feet and soul are completely broken

51 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

When there's space it's obviously fine but when it's blatantly obvious that the people standing about you can barely move, they need to get off their collective arses. I would have loved to have sat down and rest my feet but I'm aware of the problem it would cause.

Yup, after the act finishes it's fine. The issue generally comes in the 20 minutes before the act starts when everyone's trying to get in. 

The sitting is in part a tactic as well, it takes up more space so it's a little roomier when you all stand up again.

11 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Lorde last year wasn’t packed, though busy enough for this to cause problems, but I was just in front of the sound desk and a girl in front of me decided to sit down and read a book during the set.

The edge of the pit was chock a block. As soon as you got past it into the middle there was loads of room for activities.

8 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

We sat down before Pearl Jam at Rock Werchter this year just to rest our legs, been dancing all day. Inquisitive German man seemed very confused as to why we were doing this and repeatedly kept asking if we'd stand for the show. Yeah, obviously, we said, we can't wait, just having a rest.

He proceeded to spend the entire show stone faced, didn't sing, clap, cheers, nod his head, not a thing. Very bizarre. 

Similar at an Austrian festival - when Pixies were touring as support to Chillis - I was at the front jumping like a loon to Pixies, basically on my own for the entire thing.  I assumed they were all massive peppers fans and they'd have me targeted when they started going crazy themselves - because of that and being pooped we decided to go to the back of the pit for the headliner - but they were all still just stood there.

7 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Similar at an Austrian festival - when Pixies were touring as support to Chillis - I was at the front jumping like a loon to Pixies, basically on my own for the entire thing.  I assumed they were all massive peppers fans and they'd have me targeted when they started going crazy themselves - because of that and being pooped we decided to go to the back of the pit for the headliner - but they were all still just stood there.

RHCP closed out Rock Werchter and we had to keep moving forward until we actually found a group of people who looked half interested in having a final party. Naturally they were Spaniards. Always really on the Spaniards for a good time. 

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

When there's space it's obviously fine but when it's blatantly obvious that the people standing about you can barely move, they need to get off their collective arses. I would have loved to have sat down and rest my feet but I'm aware of the problem it would cause.

Why? You're waiting for an act to come on. You don't need to be able to move around. 

I think it's far more anti social yo start photographing people with thr intent of shaming them on an Internet forum after.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Sitting down between acts is absolutely fine, but there does need to be a degree of common sense and thought for other people.

If you're down in the pit, or further out, and it starts filling up quickly then you need to stand up. Otherwise people coming in just see a big space and try to move into it, obviously they can't because there are people already there and the whole immediate area becomes very packed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Why? You're waiting for an act to come on. You don't need to be able to move around. 

I think it's far more anti social yo start photographing people with thr intent of shaming them on an Internet forum after.

Because other people are trying to come in, get to their friends, be able to shift their weight a bit, not fall over due to the movement of others... but fine, you have a nice sit down, taking up the room of 2 or 3 people.

4 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Because other people are trying to come in, get to their friends, be able to shift their weight a bit, not fall over due to the movement of others... but fine, you have a nice sit down, taking up the room of 2 or 3 people.

If you want to be at the front, you have to get down early.

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I turned up for Macca basically as Noel was finishing, it took me ages to get to my mates because every avenue was blocked by rows and rows of chairs all bunched together, and was met with scowling faces as I tried to get by, that was over an hour before the headliner!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah ideally. I do sit down if I'm at the barrier with my back to it and my husband kind of controls the space in front of me between sets when my back goes. I am quite small though so am sat hunkered down not taking up any more space than when stood up. Being at the barrier produces all sorts of other weird behaviour in people though. 

Surely the social system we have in place works absolutely fine

-Sit down near the back where the crowd is quiet before or during a set = no risk or issues 

-Sit down where its busy - Be prepared for you and your possessions to get justifiably accidently trampled on by people trying to get past 

• Like 1

Quite a few on Twitter reaching the conclusion that because Noel is getting a divorce, Oasis are reforming and headlining Glastonbury this year.

Noel's new single sounds very oasis

24 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

I turned up for Macca basically as Noel was finishing, it took me ages to get to my mates because every avenue was blocked by rows and rows of chairs all bunched together, and was met with scowling faces as I tried to get by, that was over an hour before the headliner!

Fuck off people. This ain't Glyndebourne.

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

We sat down before Pearl Jam at Rock Werchter this year just to rest our legs, been dancing all day. Inquisitive German man seemed very confused as to why we were doing this and repeatedly kept asking if we'd stand for the show. Yeah, obviously, we said, we can't wait, just having a rest.

He proceeded to spend the entire show stone faced, didn't sing, clap, cheers, nod his head, not a thing. Very bizarre. 

Went to Werchter in 2019 and this was my experience with every crowd for every show. Lovely fest, lovely location and lineup, but the Belgian (in your case German) crowds have put me off from ever wanting to attend again. People were clapping and swaying along to BMTH ffs

Edited by JayDiesel

I think perhaps if you want to be further forward and be able to rest your legs a bit people need to get themselves one of these https://flipstick.co.uk/ 

I'll be honest sub headliner to headliner time is probably the hardest part of Glastonbury for me as I am usually a bit dead by then but I hate sitting down because I feel really vulnerable to being trod on or fallen on. It's why I rarely go anywhere near the front. Just standing always feels a million times worse than walking as well. I prefer when I actually go from a sub headliner at one stage to a headliner at another for that reason but everyone knows for the really big acts sometimes you have to suck it up. 

Quite a few on Twitter reaching the conclusion that because Noel is getting a divorce, Oasis are reforming and headlining Glastonbury this year.

Noel has released a new single this morning along with news of his new album out in June. It won't be this year, but who knows beyond that. 

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Honestly I'm pretty sure the "I'm going to shame, trample and call out the people sitting down" folk and the "I'm going to sit down and scowl at anyone who even brushes past me" lot are the exact same people, just 20 years or a minor disability later.

Probably. Also bet none of us are perfect. Over a Glastonbury week everyone of us has probably done something lovely to make a person's festival better and probably scowled or grumbled at someone about something relatively minor. I know one year during Dolly I probably became one of the grumpy people that people moan about because I have no problem letting people pass by me but I do have a problem with letting about 2000 people come by me in a constant stream during her actual set. 

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Probably. Also bet none of us are perfect. Over a Glastonbury week everyone of us has probably done something lovely to make a person's festival better and probably scowled or grumbled at someone about something relatively minor. I know one year during Dolly I probably became one of the grumpy people that people moan about because I have no problem letting people pass by me but I do have a problem with letting about 2000 people come by me in a constant stream during her actual set. 

When that happens I tend to step forward and let the stream go behind me.

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yeah, I'm sure I've done it and am hyper-conscious of it these days (I tend to avoid the front at gigs/festivals now because I worry about upsetting someone or someone upsetting me) - and people aren't always in the best decision-making space at Glastonbury. "Don't they realise they're in the way?" - no, because they're on their 15th pint of the day. 

I find at Glasto I have to make the effort to put it out of my mind: it won't be perfect, people will behave in ways I don't like, and that's okay. Not everything I watch will be the perfect watching experience. Because by the time you're in the mindset of "right, I'm going to photograph these w*nkers so I can moan about it on eFests next week" then your day is already ruined.

I'm already stressed about Elton to be honest as have never seen him, it'll be my last ever chance and if that goes "wrong" it'll end the festival on a bad note. It'll be so busy I'm not even sure hanging at the back makes any sense. But that's my stupid anxiety for you.

Edited by DeanoL

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

When that happens I tend to step forward and let the stream go behind me.

The problem we had is we were the only people not in chairs. There were chairs everywhere which obviously people can't walk through so we were the only place people could get past. Nowadays I would probably just leave myself or try and find another position but one of my bugbears is people who insist on getting a good spot right in the middle when they fully intend to leave after they have heard the one song (it was the 3rd song Jolene) 

If I'm only half interested in someone I would try and watch from a less desirable place that I could easily leave if it's not capturing my attention. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah, I'm sure I've done it and am hyper-conscious of it these days (I tend to avoid the front at gigs/festivals now because I worry about upsetting someone or someone upsetting me) - and people aren't always in the best decision-making space at Glastonbury. "Don't they realise they're in the way?" - no, because they're on their 15th pint of the day. 

I find at Glasto I have to make the effort to put it out of my mind: it won't be perfect, people will behave in ways I don't like, and that's okay. Not everything I watch will be the perfect watching experience. Because by the time you're in the mindset of "right, I'm going to photograph these w*nkers so I can moan about it on eFests next week" then your day is already ruined.

I'm already stressed about Elton to be honest as have never seen him, it'll be my last ever chance and if that goes "wrong" it'll end the festival on a bad note. It'll be so busy I'm not even sure hanging at the back makes any sense. But that's my stupid anxiety for you.

Yes generally my favourite Pyramid Headliner experiences have been those where the crowd has been a bit sparser and you have room to move if someone is annoying you. I find generally speaking if you can get somewhere near the sound desk that can be a decent spot even better if you can get right in front of it or on one of the barriers by it as then people can't get through you.