Craft and (crap) beer at Glastonbury

BBC7BBCHEAVEN

6 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

stick them under groundsheet at night .... or obviously in a coolbox ... the onsite coop sells ice 

Do you think an insulated bag like this would do the job? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Insulated-Waterproof-Leakproof-Adjustable-Shoulder/dp/B0BFYJG5C1/ref=sr_1_15?crid=2ZTRVURCPU4V9&keywords=cool+bag&qid=1680273502&sprefix=cool+bag%2Caps%2C78&sr=8-15

Thinking we could fill it with ice as we head out in the morning and have cold beers all afternoon? 

3 minutes ago, JRhys29 said:

I can't do warm lager either so I take cider and it tastes fine tepid. If I fancy a lager I don't mind grabbing one or two at a bar.

Dark fruits is my last resort if I can't figure something out. Do almost of all the bars exclusively sell Carlsberg? I'd be more than happy to buy pints of a half decent lager/ale but Carlsberg is not my cup of tea

1 minute ago, JamieKThomas said:

Do you think an insulated bag like this would do the job? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Insulated-Waterproof-Leakproof-Adjustable-Shoulder/dp/B0BFYJG5C1/ref=sr_1_15?crid=2ZTRVURCPU4V9&keywords=cool+bag&qid=1680273502&sprefix=cool+bag%2Caps%2C78&sr=8-15

Thinking we could fill it with ice as we head out in the morning and have cold beers all afternoon? 

Dark fruits is my last resort if I can't figure something out. Do almost of all the bars exclusively sell Carlsberg? I'd be more than happy to buy pints of a half decent lager/ale but Carlsberg is not my cup of tea

would be ok but maybe a bit awkward to carry .... this is the one I have in rucksack form  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404034637132?var=673918882866&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338749377&toolid=20006&customid=GB_888_v1|404034637132|673918882866.148546202298~293946777986-g_EAIaIQobChMIhJC3srSG_gIVGO3tCh3IMgr7EAQYAiABEgIJUfD_BwE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhJC3srSG_gIVGO3tCh3IMgr7EAQYAiABEgIJUfD_BwE

59 minutes ago, JamieKThomas said:

Does anyone know if there is somewhere on site to get a Guinness on draught? 

Yeah there's a few bars here and there that serve it.

We got some surprisingly good pints of Guinness up at the Park last year, they were better than ones I have been served in some pubs. I think it was maybe the bar that's beyond the Stonebridge tent.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 4:33 PM, coma girl said:

Yeah there's a few bars here and there that serve it.

We got some surprisingly good pints of Guinness up at the Park last year, they were better than ones I have been served in some pubs. I think it was maybe the bar that's beyond the Stonebridge tent.

Its called the bimble inn 👍🏼

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Isaact said:

Yep, even having one of those at Glastonbury, even at a single bar on site, would be glorious.

Vocation, Thornbridge and Brew York have the volume to run a bar at Glastonbury, easily. Not the whole site but a bar? No problem.

Would be nice, wouldn’t it? Carlsberg wont entertain it, i expect. The contract will give them basically exclusivity of beer supply throughout the whole of the public site so any “craft” will sadly be under their portfolio (so by definition not craft)

Its rubbish but i’ve made my peace with it and will bring some of my own cans. Plus decent craft on site would be £8 a pint at least i reckon

Edited by Memory Man

55 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

decent craft on site would be £8 a pint at least i reckon

I'd be fine with that if they were really lovely pints - deya steady rolling man, burning sky easy answers, verdant maybe one more PSI, that sort of thing - something really cold, strong and hoppy as a bucket full of manic frogs 

14 minutes ago, sprocketrocket said:

Erm, I've not been for a while, but I thought there was decent Ales and Cider widely available at Glastonbury? 

The ale is definitely not decent. Its very hard to serve well kept real ale at a festival given the temperatures. Its always warm not cellar cool. Its always twiggy bitter and rarely hopped. You can get st austell ale at their one tent if youre lucky to happen to walk by it. Widely available it is not.

the cider bus is excellent. Rest of the cider is fizzy pop but i am partial to a brothers on a warm day.

In short its…. Acceptable. 

Edited by Memory Man

6 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

The ale is definitely not decent. Its very hard to serve well kept real ale at a festival given the temperatures. Its always warm not cellar cool. Its always twiggy bitter and rarely hopped. You can get st austell ale at their one tent if youre lucky to happen to walk by it. Widely available it is not.

the cider bus is excellent. Rest of the cider is fizzy pop but i am partial to a brothers on a warm day.

In short its…. Acceptable. 

Trikkets bar had a really nice Gold on tap , it was my favourite pint all week. Shipyard in cockmill was good and proper job in Cornish arms was nice aswell and cheaper on the Sunday 👍

1 hour ago, sprocketrocket said:

Erm, I've not been for a while, but I thought there was decent Ales and Cider widely available at Glastonbury? 

Depends on your benchmark.

Decent compared to Reading, Leeds, Latitude? Yes, the offering at Glastonbury is generally a step up from them.

Decent compared to any festival that actually puts an effort into their alcohol offering? Not even close.

Bearded is the best I've seen by some distance on this both in terms of range and pricing. Though I'm sure they're not the only one doing a good job.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, sprocketrocket said:

When you say craft do you mean the overhopped american cold lagery stuff? I can do without that as long as there are some decent real ales.

No a cask ale but like the above mentioned it's probably too hot in June without a proper cellar 

The festival had a brewery with a retail outlet pretty much at the gates in Pylle that they never sourced from (even for the cask bars) in Wild, and now they’ve gone bust and had the brand bought up and production moved to Kent. If they were willing to support a local business from Evercreech, then I doubt there’s much will to bring in pallets of cans from Cheltenham or Penzance, or tankers of Jaipur from Derbyshire.

• Upvote 1

Surprised we haven't seen the likes of Neck Oil or Camden Pale yet. They seem to be on everywhere these days. Sure, there's better beer out there, but it would be a big step up from the current selection. Bingley Weekender had Neck Oil on last year

1 hour ago, Drinky said:

The festival had a brewery with a retail outlet pretty much at the gates in Pylle that they never sourced from (even for the cask bars) in Wild, and now they’ve gone bust and had the brand bought up and production moved to Kent. If they were willing to support a local business from Evercreech, then I doubt there’s much will to bring in pallets of cans from Cheltenham or Penzance, or tankers of Jaipur from Derbyshire.

This always annoyed me so much.

Wild beer set up their drive through beer shop on the way to Glasto, they're literally on the doorstep and still not in there

Makes a total mockery of the supposed standards of the festival 

20 minutes ago, Lubic87 said:

Surprised we haven't seen the likes of Neck Oil or Camden Pale yet. They seem to be on everywhere these days. Sure, there's better beer out there, but it would be a big step up from the current selection. Bingley Weekender had Neck Oil on last year

That's because they're owned by henieken now (Beavertown at least) so there's no way Carlsberg would let them in 

1 hour ago, incident said:

Depends on your benchmark.

Decent compared to Reading, Leeds, Latitude? Yes, the offering at Glastonbury is generally a step up from them.

Decent compared to any festival that actually puts an effort into their alcohol offering? Not even close.

Bearded is the best I've seen by some distance on this both in terms of range and pricing. Though I'm sure they're not the only one doing a good job.

I haven't been to bearded but no other festivals beaten Greenman for me

They literally hold a beer festival in the courtyard. First place I ever saw / tried Tiny rebel back in the day

25 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I haven't been to bearded but no other festivals beaten Greenman for me

They literally hold a beer festival in the courtyard. First place I ever saw / tried Tiny rebel back in the day

I've done both bearded and greenman, GM is far better for ale, but Bearded gives it a damn good go.