Craft and (crap) beer at Glastonbury

BBC7BBCHEAVEN

28 minutes ago, Quark said:

On the AF front I'm personally always happy to walk into a pub and find they have Big Drop Pine Trail, Lucky Saint or Brooklyn Special Effects. 

As a mostly non drinker (be surprised if I hit double digit pints a year. completely teetotal for years before) I'd second these choices. In fact all the Big Drop range I've tried. 

Lucky Saint is very nice on draught too. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Lucky Saint is excellent, and I’ll echo Quark’s props for Brooklyn special effects - that’s a right result of an AF beer and is my tipple of choice when I’m at the green door store, sober or drinking. It’s an absolute smasher 

Have they started doing at GDS? Don't think they've had it when I've been there before. Happy days if they are!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I’m there on Saturday for the black metal all dayer, I shall most definitely be having one or two! 

As you do!  Current plan is Worthing for an IVW gig but if I end up heading to Brighton I'll give you a shout

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Yes, I came to the same conclusion. I was looking to replace the range of Brew Dog mostly, not because it doesn't sell, it does, just because I find their ethics more and more questionable over time, and now looking at some other options, including Plot2pot's beers. 🙂 (But I also need to find a replacement for the incredibly popular alcohol free Nanny State.) 

Whiskey, not really, we tried a decent range of single malts / blended, but they really didn't sell. Now we just offer the usual suspects in terms of scotch, Irish etc... (You know, Bells, Grouse, Teachers, etc etc) And just a couple of the nicer singles / blended that did sell... Glenlivet (house) Bruichladdich Classic Laddie (unpeated) Monkey Shoulder (blended) and Balvenie. 👍

This is the best of the AF beers that my husband has tried. The one that had him repeatedly check the can to make sure it actually was AF. 

A6570CCE-77CA-4E53-B686-8903AAF9DBC9.jpeg

• Like 1

A while ago when I did a dry spell I sampled loads of AF beers including all those mentioned above. My personal fave was Adnams Ghost Ship AF. I’m not actually huge IPA fan normally, but I found the AF IPA type beers better than the lagers, because they still had a taste to them.

Something about the lagers, including lucky Saint, meant I just necked them like I would a soft drink, rather than drink them more slowly like a normal alcoholic beer. 

3 hours ago, Jose Pose said:

A while ago when I did a dry spell I sampled loads of AF beers including all those mentioned above. My personal fave was Adnams Ghost Ship AF. I’m not actually huge IPA fan normally, but I found the AF IPA type beers better than the lagers, because they still had a taste to them.

Something about the lagers, including lucky Saint, meant I just necked them like I would a soft drink, rather than drink them more slowly like a normal alcoholic beer. 

I've got a bottle of Ghost Ship in my booze cupboard to try. Been too cowardly to try it after the horror of Doom Bar AF put me off the AF versions of more standard ales. Might give it a go this weekend

4 hours ago, Jose Pose said:

Completely agree on needing AF beers to be IPAs, only had a couple of lagers that I drunk at the same speed as a normal beer. Rest are too watery, flavourless and just get necked in 10 mins. 

Look - I know that this 'matter' has got no right to show its head in this place, but it's going to, and 'yes' I'm the one shoe horning it in here. The thing is, I just happened to need to look up this expression (for something non efests related) and stumbled across this liquid (see below), and then immediately though of you guys and gals on this thread. Naturally enough, I wanted to share, so here it is;

Arrrggghhh! (2021)

And now you want to know why on earth I was looking up that expression, I suspect.

Not tellin ya!

Can't.

Shan't.

Can't now anyway, because I've actually forgotten / bored my own self (is there any other?) into forgetting on a self preservation Cat 1 need to.

I'll be off then.

Soz!

Erm, no idea if it's any good, but picked up a can of Salt Ikat earlier, it was just calling me... From Tesco!!! Haven't looked at their beer range for ages, and was genuinely shocked by how much better it looks to be now, so many beers I haven't tried. No doubt their range is never gonna please any of you real craft aficionados, but it's a hell of a lot more interesting than it was. 

32 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Erm, no idea if it's any good, but picked up a can of Salt Ikat earlier, it was just calling me... From Tesco!!! Haven't looked at their beer range for ages, and was genuinely shocked by how much better it looks to be now, so many beers I haven't tried. No doubt their range is never gonna please any of you real craft aficionados, but it's a hell of a lot more interesting than it was. 

Summer of 2022 was very much the Summer of Salt’s Jute for me

if that’s in Tesco, I will be there in a heartbeat

11 hours ago, Quark said:

I've got a bottle of Ghost Ship in my booze cupboard to try. Been too cowardly to try it after the horror of Doom Bar AF put me off the AF versions of more standard ales. Might give it a go this weekend

Go for it, it's very nice. No idea how it compares to actual Ghost Ship as I've never had that. Doom Bar AF is indeed grim (af). Not the worst. That award still, unsurprisingly, goes to Budweiser Prohibition. Once got a 4 pack for a quid and felt I'd been ripped off.

Ale and craft beer thread on efests chat forum takes an unexpected turn towards alcohol free beer.

The worlds gone mad. All hope is lost. Anyone continuing with this theme at Ridge and Furrow in June is dead to me.

Edited by Tranquility of Solitude

56 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Ale and craft beer thread on efests chat forum takes an unexpected turn towards alcohol free beer.

The worlds gone mad. All hope is lost. Anyone continuing with this theme at Ridge and Furrow in June is dead to me.

Sorry, it started to help me find alternatives for Brew Dog's Nanny State, so I really appreciated the help... 

I will attempt to avoid promoting such blasphemy in future posts. 👍

Edited by Alvoram

7 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Sorry, it started to help me find alternatives for Brew Dog's Nanny State, so I really appreciated the help... 

I will attempt to avoid promoting such balsphemy in future posts. 👍

If @Curlygirl pitches up with a mocktail version of her cherry bakewell vodka my ticket is going back. Forget GnR this is the final straw.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

If @Curlygirl pitches up with a mocktail version of her cherry bakewell vodka my ticket is going back. Forget GnR this is the final straw.

I was just about to say maybe now is the time to revive/restart the thread about our homemade drink prep activities... I mean les than 5 months out..>!

12 hours ago, Alvoram said:

I don't drink at home so pretty much all my craft beer comes from drinking in my craft beer place. It's a fairly good sign I think supermarkets are carrying big brand craft beer that the market is there, but not sure how good it is for the smaller craft beer companies in the long run? 

On 2/3/2023 at 9:11 AM, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Was just about to update on a very nice craft AF at tonight's gig, but as you're being, well, a tosser about it I shan't bother! 😂