Private Camping Options

AshSlattery

18 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

id say maybe annecdotal given you are posting in here ... they are always popular and usually get pretty close to selling out ... i guess we will only know if some don't sell out where they have previously and not the other way round 

Yes but I'm seeing more interest and chat in random facebook groups and such. And it used to be that people were "excusing" the choice and that's much less now? 

It's all quite personal, last year at WV I was surprised with people booking the 4 people bell tent thing for 2. Some people are probably thinking the same about our 300 quids scout tent. And the 2 in a 4 people bell tent probably don't get the Pennard Orchard people.

21 minutes ago, t0paz said:

Pfft! That’s slumming it. Camp Kerela has its own helipad. £15k from memory but that was a few years back and they don’t publish prices anymore. I guess if you have to ask you can’t afford it…

It pleases me greatly that Windinglake Farm, £10k a pop glamping, is absolutely right next to the Oxfield - free and full of volunteers 😆 they have the same stroll into the festival site as us lot. There's something very egalitarian about that - yeah, loads more money has got you this and that, but in the grand scheme of things there's a muddy path to get in, and we've all got to get down it, so get your boots on and muck in a bit 

• Like 1

I think it’s way too much personally but a couple of people I know swear by Love Fields as it’s so close to the gate, especially if you want to be in SE corner in your late evenings. Personally as I’m normally out until 3-6 am then by a stage for music from 1 pm ish and never go back to the tent so I don’t see the point in spending the extra cash, but fair play if people have it and want to

2 hours ago, Aragorn said:

In the interest of a transparent convo, it's about £1,700 (for the two of us) for 5 nights. It is very much our big treat of the year. You get a bell tent, mattresses, proper bedding, showers, toilets, getting ready tent with hair straighteners and that, breakfast and a generally peaceful spot away from the main festival

That seems alot - there is a place near Gate D with the same setup - a 5m Bell Tent for £1000 for 3 people 

What place is that if you don't mind me asking? 

1 hour ago, Barneym said:

I think it’s way too much personally but a couple of people I know swear by Love Fields as it’s so close to the gate, especially if you want to be in SE corner in your late evenings. Personally as I’m normally out until 3-6 am then by a stage for music from 1 pm ish and never go back to the tent so I don’t see the point in spending the extra cash, but fair play if people have it and want to

I'd be intrigued how many people in the glamping options do 6am SE corner nights - bet people get pissed off with others stumbling back and waking them up!

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

I'd be intrigued how many people in the glamping options do 6am SE corner nights - bet people get pissed off with others stumbling back and waking them up!

Actually quite a few at Worthy view. I tend to wake up once around that time due to habit (😞) and need of a wee and it's lovely seeing folks coming back then.

2 hours ago, topmarksbri said:

What's the issue, if people want to spend their money on this rather than holiday or whatever then that's their choice? Frees up space for anyone inside the fence as well

I hear you and don't give a shit. I have a good time regardless.

There is a school of thought that it is not such a great thing. Everyone inside the fence can be a great leveller. Working, middle and upper class all in it together, as it used to be. Everyone in the same situation rubbing along together. None of the I need all the facilities at hand otherwise I will not go (easier on tickets 🙂 if the facilities were not there) @russycarpswould put it better with more swear words. I can see that also as a good thing, probably ends up being more of a shared experience. 

Can't get it back in the bottle though. And the whole thing has moved on obviously. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I hear you and don't give a shit. I have a good time regardless.

There is a school of thought that it is not such a great thing. Everyone inside the fence can be a great leveller. Working, middle and upper class all in it together, as it used to be. Everyone in the same situation rubbing along together. None of the I need all the facilities at hand otherwise I will not go (easier on tickets 🙂 if the facilities were not there) @russycarpswould put it better with more swear words. I can see that also as a good thing, probably ends up being more of a shared experience. 

Can't get it back in the bottle though. And the whole thing has moved on obviously. 

Well said sir, couldn't have put it better, but could have put it more forcefully and with more anger. Personally I think it's a disgrace.

Fortunately I park up in one of the remaining old school areas and hang out with the old school crew.(This doesn't necessarily mean they're all old gits, they've brought their offspring well within the festival traditions)

Waits for the slating I will get and the questions like - why do you go?

Edited by Skip997

8 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

While I think this pov does have some merit, the argument against is that the caravan and campervan fields predate the glamping and arguably require even greater outlay - but noone really considers them a negative.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

While I think this pov does have some merit, the argument against is that the caravan and campervan fields predate the glamping and arguably require even greater outlay - but noone really considers them a negative.

I don't understand

A greater outlay in what way?

1 minute ago, Chef said:

Friends of ours have booked love fields - think it was about £750 for a two-person pitch. The main benefit of it I can see is you park the tent next to the car but it's a hefty price tag for what you get, which is not a lot. 

I find this option mind boggling, sure you get access to showers and toilets but it’s £750 to pitch your own tent. In many ways their other options are better value as at least you get accommodation with it.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I don't own one myself so have no experience - but my assumption is that buying a campervan will involve some kind of monetary transaction.

Ah see what you mean.

The difference is that a camper van is not a one off thing, they can last for decades. It's possible to obtain a camper van for less than the cost of one stay in some of those glamping sites, mine cost £3500. Although you could spend £250,000.

12 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

There’s buses every hour from Glastonbury, Shepton and north wootton direct to the festival every day , last bus  back at 3am, for anyone staying locally or in a B and B Four quid each way. 

We stayed in B&Bs in Glastonbury town for several years as my partner wouldn't camp.  It wasn't that expensive (like £80 a night for a twin with ensuite), you got a hot breakfast included every morning, and you could park nearby.  They get booked up quickly, but keep an eye out and they become available from time to time.

We had to forego late nights in SE Corner in order to get the last bus back from PGA, but all in all it worked pretty well.  And in the years when it was either very hot or very wet, having a proper roof over our heads was a godsend.

The journey in and out wasn't normally too bad, apart from the Sunday night which took ages due to all the traffic leaving the site.  Sometimes we got a taxi for about £15-£20 rather than wait for the £4 bus.