Coach vs. train

CardiffWanderer

Four times previously, we've booked the National Express coach from Cardiff. Good for the environment, less stressful than driving, but obviously you're still stuck in the same traffic as everyone else.

We're thinking about booking the train this time and using the Castle Cary shuttle bus. What are people's experiences with this? I imagine it's easier on the way to the festival than on the way back, with loads of people queuing for the shuttle on Monday morning?

Also, have any enterprising folk started hiring out sack trucks or wagons at Glastonbury yet? Luggage space is limited on coaches (and I presume on trains) so hard to bring your own sack truck that way.

• 3 months later...

Was looking for a thread about travel and this seems as good as any! We booked our National Express coaches yesterday having seen that a few were already sold out for the Wednesday. Not sure I've seen that happen so early before (although they may add more). Cost us over £100 each return to London - ouch. Glad to get it sorted, though.

I've got the train once, my first year, and I found the whole waiting for the shuttle bus bit a bit of a pain. When I'm carrying so much stuff I'd always opt for minimising the stages as much as possible. Hate a slow shuffling queue. Also what I like about the coach is that you're guaranteed a seat and somewhere to put your stuff whereas train felt more of a scramble. It's years since I got the train though so could be different now. This was 2008. I think Glastonbury did a combined festival and train ticket then?

From 2009 to 2013 I got a lift to Bath and West and shuttle from there. 2014 to 2019 has been coach all the way, either via See or National Express.

First year I went 2014, was Coach. Then we drove until last year where we decided to get the train. As none of us really wanted to drive.

I'm in Essex and it was a mess. The shuttle bus to the station took ages, as did waiting for a train, so I couldn't pre booked a certain timeslot to save money. Then having to get on the tube with all your stuff and then my train from London to home got cancelled so was stuck at Liverpool Street for another 30 minutes. Left the festival site at 10am, got home around 4pm. 

We're doing the coach this year, the drop off/pick up point is a 10 minute walk from my house. 15 minute wait in London, takes about 4 hours-5 hours and you don't have to worry about transfers. Wondering through tube stations and standing around at Liverpool Street hung over and tired.

Edited by chazwwe

Obviously last year was massively impacted by strikes so let’s hope that settles down and they get what they want by June…. I’ve taken the train a couple of times but probably has been the worst method of arrival and I’ve pretty well done all of them now 

I would always recommend coach over train, having done both. The main reason is that the train takes a lot longer and is a lot more hassle. You arrive in Castle Cary, and then are queueing outside to get on a shuttle bus. One year, this took a few hours. There's also a footbridge at the station meaning that you will have to carry all your kit up the stairs at least once.

For this reason, my normal routine is to get a National Express coach to the site from Bristol (arriving the night before via train), then getting the shuttle bus service direct to Bristol Temple Meads on the way back.

2 hours ago, chazwwe said:

First year I went 2014, was Coach. Then we drove until last year where we decided to get the train. As none of us really wanted to drive.

I'm in Essex and it was a mess. The shuttle bus to the station took ages, as did waiting for a train, so I couldn't pre booked a certain timeslot to save money. Then having to get on the tube with all your stuff and then my train from London to home got cancelled so was stuck at Liverpool Street for another 30 minutes. Left the festival site at 10am, got home around 4pm. 

We're doing the coach this year, the drop off/pick up point is a 10 minute walk from my house. 15 minute wait in London, takes about 4 hours-5 hours and you don't have to worry about transfers. Wondering through tube stations and standing around at Liverpool Street hung over and tired.

Yeah this all the stuff I want to avoid. Getting the tube at rush hour on my way home that first year was one of the worst travel experiences I've ever had. What I love about the coach (especially from Victoria) is once you're on it you don't need to faff about with anything until you're at the festival. We will likely cab to the station as well.

What's it like leaving on the train? I have one way coach ticket so trying to figure out the best way home (near Exeter)

Is shuttle bus to castle Cary just a nightmare? How does it compare to shuttle bus to Bristol?

Discussing how to get home from glasto is one hell of a privilege!

In previous years I've gotten the coach from Cardiff. Not had any problems at all, always a slight fear I'm not going to get all luggage on but it's fine. 

Missed out on coach tickets last year so did the train around the time of the strikes at 8am worried it would be awful and it was a breeze to get in no trouble at all, shuttles to the site were easy.

Getting back got up early to get the first train to Cardiff and again no trouble at all. Bit of waiting around but never encountered any long waits thankfully. Coach is more convenient but the train was cheaper surprisingly last year in the end.

On 3/5/2023 at 11:41 AM, Lucy F said:

I'm training it. I've been told it's quite a fun, atmospheric way to get there. Hogwarts Express vibes lol

I'm hoping to be on the train for the first time this year, normally I'm on the coach package. Looking at the other negative rail comments, I'm now a bit worried! 

7 minutes ago, Crouchinho76 said:

Anyone remember when the coach times normally get released for the coach+ticket bundles?  Going from Taunton on the Thursday.  Thanks 

25/ 5 last year … I’m on the wed coach from Taunton . Shout if u need any advice ref parking / accommodation 

On 11/11/2022 at 9:11 AM, CardiffWanderer said:

We're thinking about booking the train this time and using the Castle Cary shuttle bus. What are people's experiences with this?

Generally, getting the train is fine enough but can be a hassle schlepping around stations when you have to change trains and finding space for your stuff on the train can be a challenge if its a busy one.

Shuttle bus wise, as you imagine it's generally slightly easier on the way there but the shuttle bus and trains back are rammed so be prepared to do a fair bit of queueing.

If you're travelling light, it's not too bad but for the convenience, I'd say the coach is the better option imo

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

25/ 5 last year … I’m on the wed coach from Taunton . Shout if u need any advice ref parking / accommodation 

Thanks.  We've booked a parking space on someone's drive for the week a five minute walk from the coach departure location.  Should be an easy route in and out!  Coach must only take an hour or so? 

10 minutes ago, Crouchinho76 said:

Thanks.  We've booked a parking space on someone's drive for the week a five minute walk from the coach departure location.  Should be an easy route in and out!  Coach must only take an hour or so? 

If that . On a Thursday you should sail in . 

• Like 1

My experience of the train to Glastonbury involved space being so limited that I spent a large portion of the journey sat with lots of bags in the toilet...one tip is if you can bear standing then do so near the door so you can be one of the first off once you arrive at Castle Cary. Helped that I was alone as I could instantly hop off and get to the shuttle bus queue quickly.

Coach is much less stressful and its nice to arrive at the queue at gate A.

2 minutes ago, CardiffWanderer said:

Thanks everyone, all very helpful. What about trolley hire - anyone doing this at Glastonbury these days, or is it a question of hoping there's enough space on the coach for my own sack truck? 

Something you’d be lucky to find tbh I’ve never seen it … although someone at work did some sherparing at worthy view . Your trolley runs the risk of being left behind depending on the available coach space … 

• Upvote 1

I've driven, coached and trained.  Coach is my definite favourite, even though I don't live that close to a departure point.   Even last year with the train strike, it was fine, in some ways even better as I was forced to stay over the night before so I didn't have to worry about any hitches on the morning of the coach as I was walking distance from the bus.

On the whole I probably prefer a GA ticket and an NT coach cos you can choose your time.  You get dropped right at Gate A, there's no queuing for the coach, you get a seat and can fall asleep or talk to everyone else on the coach.  It is the nearest to hassle free.  When I drove I was in the furthest car park from a gate, probably a different postcode!  So the advantage of being able to bring more was offset by the schlep to and from the car.  And  having to be alert enough to drive on Monday!

The train involved a very long queue for the shuttle on Monday morning and a queue to get in to the station.  Difficult to be able to book a particular train which is cheaper. And my journey involved Shuttle-train-train-train (lift from station) rather than the coach-train (lift from station).

On 3/5/2023 at 5:38 AM, Scrump said:

What's it like leaving on the train? I have one way coach ticket so trying to figure out the best way home (near Exeter)

Is shuttle bus to castle Cary just a nightmare? How does it compare to shuttle bus to Bristol?

Discussing how to get home from glasto is one hell of a privilege!

So from Worthy View it was a breeze. Only waited maybe an hour in the queue to get onto the shuttle and it was 15 mins to get to the station. This was at maybe 7am or so. The good thing is your return ticket on the train doesnt matter pretty much time wise so just book it and youll be fine whenever you leave the fest. It only stinks if its pouring buckets. It was misty on the monday last year but no big deal.

Ive coached in both times Ive gone and it was reasonably hassle free since I departed from Bristol and Bath. But drove out in 2017 which was fine. Stopped for breakfast in a local place. Delicious.

Edited by Suprefan
  • Thanks 1

I always go by train. I have used the coach and think it's fine. But have never had a bad train experience on the train and actually prefer its atmosphere and journey.