Sober Glastonbury

AshSlattery

Fantastic on 8 months AF, cracking achievement and I bet you feel so much better for it.  Sorry I can’t advise if there are many options at festival though, I’m not a big drinker myself, I don’t like the feeling of drunk, but I do get fed up of soft drinks so some AF beer options at bars would be great. Have a fantastic festival and see you on the farm 😊

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rula912 said:

Fantastic on 8 months AF, cracking achievement and I bet you feel so much better for it.  Sorry I can’t advise if there are many options at festival though, I’m not a big drinker myself, I don’t like the feeling of drunk, but I do get fed up of soft drinks so some AF beer options at bars would be great. Have a fantastic festival and see you on the farm 😊

Thanks, yeh I feel like a different person to be honest! All the usual positives you can imagine from not pouring poison down your neck - weight loss, better sleep etc...the list is endless!

This will be my 7th time on the farm - if anyone else is going sober and fancies meeting up give me a shout! 😄

• Like 2

I’ve done a sober Glastonbury before, had a lot of very tasty smoothies and embraced a lot more of the day. I find there’s a lot more great alcohol free options nowadays so hopefully that translates to Glastonbury. You can get some good alcohol free cans to take too if you like those. 

• Upvote 1

Congrats on 8 months!

I've not gone sober, but I have reduced my drinking quite a bit this year. Set myself the challenge of drinking on only 50 days of the year. Sounded really easy in my head, then I worked out that it meant less than one day a week having a drink and that was before I factored in work trips that are usually pretty boozy and a summer holiday to Tuscany.

Thought I would really struggle when I thought about it, which in turn worried me greatly as my dad was an alcoholic so it's something that has been on my mind a lot and I was becoming quite a big drinker. However I've found it a lot easier than I expected once I've gotten into it. Have got really into AF beers and there are some reallt good ones out there now (wine is not there yet!).

Was at Skerryvore at the Bandstand in Glasgow last night and they had Joker AF on draught and it was the best pint I've had in ages, AF or otherwise. I'm aiming to have at least a couple of days sober at Glastonbury so hoping the alcohol free options have continued to improve, but I'm also only going to take AF beers in with me so that it's easier to grab something non alcoholic than otherwise.

• Upvote 1

I’ve cut down alot this year and imposed a 2 drink limit per night out.  Rarely had a drink at home but tended to go massively overboard on a night out resulting in not remembering the night and epic hangovers which I can’t be doing with at 50 with two little kids…  plus I’m more aware of the risks of drinking now on general health and just want to live a cleaner and hopefully longer life.  

I weirdly never had a problem at Glastonbury, I tend to have just a couple of ciders over the day.. but just coming to add my support to everyone who’s doing it sober, or more sober than previously.  

• Like 2

Well done on 8 months. I’m on 8.5 years sober and have thoroughly enjoyed Glastonbury both sober and previously drunk. I’m not going this year (thanks to Long Covid) but staying sober is my life long life choice which I’m fairly confident about. There is an official meeting place for people who want one. AA, CA, NA etc.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a zero alcohol beer as I don’t want to get close to the taste of alcohol. So I’m mainly fizzy pop, coffee and water and consequently spend half my day having a piss. 

For those that are interested or concerned about themselves that are reading this, take care, try it sober, it’s okay to be sober, there are loads of us about who don’t drink. 

PS, when I am at Glasto, I work on a cocktail bar! Which still amazes me that I’m strong enough to mix drinks all night without any temptation to consumed any. Funny world innit. 

The cider bus near the Pyramid Stage does a lovely alcohol-free cocktail. I wish all the bars had a few more options. Well done to everyone on their sober journey 👏

Edited by about
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 9:38 AM, Thunderstruck said:

Thanks, yeh I feel like a different person to be honest! All the usual positives you can imagine from not pouring poison down your neck - weight loss, better sleep etc...the list is endless!

This will be my 7th time on the farm - if anyone else is going sober and fancies meeting up give me a shout! 😄

My friend Lucy and I haven't drunk booze at Glasto since 2017. I only have about 2 glasses of Cava a year with family (nothing else) and she's not drunk any alcohol since early 2018.

Maybe we can share our plans closer to the festival and if you want a safe booze free space with friendly people then perhaps we could meet up for one of the sets?

Congrats on your efforts so far! I found it took a fair few months to feel normal not drinking when others are, but I promise it gets easier and easier 🙂

I stopped drinking in 2021 and went to the 2022 festival sober. I’ll be going this year sober too. I found that I enjoyed it more than the other 4/5 times I had been drunk. I remembered everything, took a lot more in and got more out of each day rather than focusing on drinking. The only thing I noticed was it was harder to stay out later (around 3am for me most nights) because of general tiredness to your feet which is surprisingly more noticeable than when you are so drunk! It’s hard to not feel the need to always have a soft drink in your hand (a lot of toilet visits) but you get used to that over time. You will also be in a much happier place the following week (although I actually got covid in 2022 so couldn’t benefit from the smugness then!). 

• Upvote 1

On 6/3/2024 at 10:58 AM, ian the worm said:

Well done on 8 months. I’m on 8.5 years sober and have thoroughly enjoyed Glastonbury both sober and previously drunk. I’m not going this year (thanks to Long Covid) but staying sober is my life long life choice which I’m fairly confident about. There is an official meeting place for people who want one. AA, CA, NA etc.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a zero alcohol beer as I don’t want to get close to the taste of alcohol. So I’m mainly fizzy pop, coffee and water and consequently spend half my day having a piss. 

For those that are interested or concerned about themselves that are reading this, take care, try it sober, it’s okay to be sober, there are loads of us about who don’t drink. 

PS, when I am at Glasto, I work on a cocktail bar! Which still amazes me that I’m strong enough to mix drinks all night without any temptation to consumed any. Funny world innit. 

I might check out AA. Never done it before but might be interesting to meet people. I think just identifying with that type of environment/people might help :).

16 hours ago, markfaulkneruk said:

My friend Lucy and I haven't drunk booze at Glasto since 2017. I only have about 2 glasses of Cava a year with family (nothing else) and she's not drunk any alcohol since early 2018.

Maybe we can share our plans closer to the festival and if you want a safe booze free space with friendly people then perhaps we could meet up for one of the sets?

Congrats on your efforts so far! I found it took a fair few months to feel normal not drinking when others are, but I promise it gets easier and easier 🙂

Yeh! I'll send my details across closer to the time. I'm going with people who drink but not massively. I did try to do last year sober - I was only 70 days clean then and lasted 1 day! Falling off the wagon sucks because it's not as simple as just stopping again after the festival. It took me Until October that year to start again! Which brings me to my current dry spell 😄

10 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

I stopped drinking in 2021 and went to the 2022 festival sober. I’ll be going this year sober too. I found that I enjoyed it more than the other 4/5 times I had been drunk. I remembered everything, took a lot more in and got more out of each day rather than focusing on drinking. The only thing I noticed was it was harder to stay out later (around 3am for me most nights) because of general tiredness to your feet which is surprisingly more noticeable than when you are so drunk! It’s hard to not feel the need to always have a soft drink in your hand (a lot of toilet visits) but you get used to that over time. You will also be in a much happier place the following week (although I actually got covid in 2022 so couldn’t benefit from the smugness then!). 

It's mental how alcohol has such an impact on behaviour that even people who aren't drinking alcohol still feel the urge to have a drink in hand...i'm the same!

First sober day fest at Slam Dunk went well. Had a couple pints of draft Lucky Saint (0.5%) that really helped, don't miss the alcohol that much so long as I can still have a refreshing pint while sat on the grass. Will be taking a few cans with me so can still enjoy a couple after setting up the tent.

My one concession at Glastonbury will be a 1/2 pint at the cider bus.

Edited by I am Jon

1 hour ago, Thunderstruck said:

I might check out AA. Never done it before but might be interesting to meet people. I think just identifying with that type of environment/people might help :).

Yeh! I'll send my details across closer to the time. I'm going with people who drink but not massively. I did try to do last year sober - I was only 70 days clean then and lasted 1 day! Falling off the wagon sucks because it's not as simple as just stopping again after the festival. It took me Until October that year to start again! Which brings me to my current dry spell 😄

It's mental how alcohol has such an impact on behaviour that even people who aren't drinking alcohol still feel the urge to have a drink in hand...i'm the same!

It is madness. That urge to have a drink in your hand at all times (and therefore drinking pints and pints of soft drinks...) does disappear after time but I had stopped drinking for less than a year when Glastonbury rolled around!

Really disappointing there aren't more 0% options at the bar, as realistically all pubs/bars you visit now have a few bottles and even some on tap. Done spells of voluntary sobriety this year and now only drink alc-free during the week, have done for 12 months. Here are some of my favourites (I've tried so many) - for folk wishing to purchase and take with them. 

ProductInfo1_1_6_1.png?v=1713297373

f78b5950-9754-479b-b8fa-ac0e2b4be3f6_188

AleVariety.png?v=1675956052&width=1080

And for those just looking not go 'sober' but less boozy, these are beautiful. 

813rGPEz2eL.jpg

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Really disappointing there aren't more 0% options at the bar, as realistically all pubs/bars you visit now have a few bottles and even some on tap. Done spells of voluntary sobriety this year and now only drink alc-free during the week, have done for 12 months. Here are some of my favourites (I've tried so many) - for folk wishing to purchase and take with them. 

ProductInfo1_1_6_1.png?v=1713297373

f78b5950-9754-479b-b8fa-ac0e2b4be3f6_188

AleVariety.png?v=1675956052&width=1080

And for those just looking not go 'sober' but less boozy, these are beautiful. 

813rGPEz2eL.jpg

I really like the lucky saint one.

I've also had Athletic brewing co recently and they're really good!

The Schofferhofer 2.5% are great - theyve got grapefruit, pineapple and prickly pear flavours, and if you get the two former you can blend them and make your own hefeweizen lilt, which is absolutely marvellous scenes! 

No tips here, but everyone should be incredibly f**king proud of themselves. You're excellent, so much fun, and grateful to be at the farm with you all in a few weeks!

Going for low alc due to it exacerbating my proneness to sensory overload 🙂

I'm 10 (nearly 11) years sober so I've spent a few Glastonburies off the sauce now. It's undoubtedly a different experience but richer in many ways. I see more stuff, enjoy it more fully, and remember more too.

I used to steer clear of alcohol-free versions for fear that substitution would make me crave the real thing, but I've loosened up on that in recent times because I don't feel there's any real danger any more. Last year I was pleasantly surprised how most of the bars had an alcohol-free beer on offer and these went down nicely in the sunshine. 

13 minutes ago, goldfishboy said:

I'm 10 (nearly 11) years sober so I've spent a few Glastonburies off the sauce now. It's undoubtedly a different experience but richer in many ways. I see more stuff, enjoy it more fully, and remember more too.

I used to steer clear of alcohol-free versions for fear that substitution would make me crave the real thing, but I've loosened up on that in recent times because I don't feel there's any real danger any more. Last year I was pleasantly surprised how most of the bars had an alcohol-free beer on offer and these went down nicely in the sunshine. 

I didn't touch AF for years after I stopped drinking, partly for the same reason as you but also partly because the options were so f**king grim back then. The difference these days is unreal. Although I do drink very occasionally now. I'd be surprised of my annual drinks hit double figures. And one of those is always at Glastonbury, a cider from the Cider Bus

• Upvote 2

As well as adding a vote for Lucky Saint, I'd also give a mention to Mash Gang who do a range of AF beers and have been a highlight of festivals/parties for me in the past because you still get to feel like you're having a variety of lager, pale ale, stout etc. 

https://mashgang.com/

I get their monthly subs box and have been saving a few back to make sure I've got plenty for Glastonbury.

On 6/4/2024 at 10:41 PM, hodgey123 said:

3 a.m. is not bad; if I get to 1 a.m., I'm doing well. This will be my third year sober at Glasto, and I don't miss the fear the next day or I realise that the phone and wallet are lost.  
The only thing I wish was that I could sleep in for a few more hours in the morning and go out later for a night or two. If anyone has a few tips for keeping energy levels up, I'd be grateful to hear them. Thank you. 

29 minutes ago, about said:

3 a.m. is not bad; if I get to 1 a.m., I'm doing well. This will be my third year sober at Glasto, and I don't miss the fear the next day or I realise that the phone and wallet are lost.  
The only thing I wish was that I could sleep in for a few more hours in the morning and go out later for a night or two. If anyone has a few tips for keeping energy levels up, I'd be grateful to hear them. Thank you. 

Cake! double cake! 

genuinely, i tend to go to the circus tents after headliners, and will gorge on a couple of sweet cakes or sugary stuff while i sit and watch a few things, and then head down the SE corner when its a bit quieter. The bakery opposite the opening to acoustic has some lovely stuff, and just round the corner there tends to be one of those stalls with a yard long fizzy lance in different flavours. The sugar is a good painkiller for the feet, wakes you up a bit, and gives you a bit more energy. I've not really gone beyond 3.30am though - i'm no overnight hardcore type - but this gets me over the initial hump of tiredness and into the next stage 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Cake! double cake! 

Can't beat a chocolate brownie washed down with coffee for a quick boost. Your burning a lot of calories walking and standing all day so gotta keep topped up.

I also keep some glucose tablets with me in case of emergencies:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dextro-Energy-Glucose-Tablets-Orange/dp/B00KOQY3DA/

Used to take a couple of painkillers (ibuprofen / paracetamol / codeine) to help with painful back and feet. Have pretty much stopped taking these as well due to health problems, got intestine issues so NSAIDs (ibuprofen) are out these days.

Edited by I am Jon