Other Stage Headliners

airwaves

42 minutes ago, adequate8 said:

Neil was told Lizzo is subbing GNR

Capaldi on before Lizzo

Yeah this is what I’m thinking rather than the other way around that others seem to be going with. Capaldi may be bigger, but his snoozeathon of a set is far more suited for earlier on rather than pre-headliner. Lizzo bringing the party deserves to sub, and also gets a much needed female in the top few rows of the lineup. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sisco said:

There has been if you were on other sites. Someone with good info heard Sam was headlining the other stage.  That info came before they were given high spots at other festivals 

Thats pretty decent info - adds up well i think

re wizkid people on here are just completely out of the loop with afrobeats, nobody had heard of burna boy till he was announced either no doubt. can't say i'll be there and would much prefer another artist to be in the slot who i have an interest in but hes doing London Stadium so is definitely big enough.

AM - Wizkid

GNR - Sam Smith

Elton - Prodigy

really cannot see past this at the moment.

12 minutes ago, gfa said:

re wizkid people on here are just completely out of the loop with afrobeats, nobody had heard of burna boy till he was announced either no doubt. can't say i'll be there and would much prefer another artist to be in the slot who i have an interest in but hes doing London Stadium so is definitely big enough.

Completely agreed - it’s moments like this where the efests demographic really shows.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gfa said:

AM - Wizkid

GNR - Sam Smith

Elton - Prodigy

Still seems an odd fit for me, but then they’ve branched out a little with the Other headliners lately with the likes of Dua and Megan so, especially with their being two standard as can be rock headliners on the Pyramid, I suppose it’s good to have a decent different alternative. 

Still reckon he’s gonna sub though, but we’ll see! Doesn’t seem like that single stadium date is selling very well…

17 minutes ago, gfa said:

AM - Wizkid

GNR - Sam Smith

Elton - Prodigy

😬

30 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Still seems an odd fit for me, but then they’ve branched out a little with the Other headliners lately with the likes of Dua and Megan so, especially with their being two standard as can be rock headliners on the Pyramid, I suppose it’s good to have a decent different alternative. 

Still reckon he’s gonna sub though, but we’ll see! Doesn’t seem like that single stadium date is selling very well…

Fair enough - lets see eh. there is so many acts in that pyramid sub / other headline space that its pretty hard to tell whats going to happen really

7 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Check the record. 

Neil initially just said Lizzo and Capaldi had been booked.

He was then pressed for a stage and day and I don't think he was certain of the stage, the day maybe

it was just that they were both pyramid saturday i thought

11 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

As much as I like them The War on Drugs would be a contender for smallest Other headliner crowd ever up against Elton. I can see them as an Other sub and still think at a push they could be one of the smaller, acclaimed Pyramid subs they sometimes have but not as an Other headliner. 

Where did the Wizkid stuff come from?

They're my favourite band on the planet but yes I agree, John Peel headliner seems much more likely, and certainly preferable to Other sub. Other headliner is impossible

17 hours ago, gfa said:

AM - Wizkid

GNR - Sam Smith

Elton - Prodigy

Not sure it's an eFest demographic thing.  I'm not a fan of Afrobeat but am aware enough that it's massive in London, less so outside, so artists often sell out huge venues in the capital.  Not sure that's a measure of broader popularity TBH so I'd be slightly sceptical of WizKid headlining.

Plus, if they've booked Lizzo, who is much more popular globally, why wouldn't they have her headline the second stage?  Just seems logical from any angle you look at it.

17 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Not sure it's an eFest demographic thing.  I'm not a fan of Afrobeat but am aware enough that it's massive in London, less so outside, so artists often sell out huge venues in the capital.  Not sure that's a measure of broader popularity TBH so I'd be slightly sceptical of WizKid headlining.

Plus, if they've booked Lizzo, who is much more popular globally, why wouldn't they have her headline the second stage?  Just seems logical from any angle you look at it.

I mean a lot of people hadn't heard of him despite him doing stadiums - but i do think Lizzo is the better choice

32 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

What position did Capaldi play before? I cant think he'd be playing third down. He is sub status all day long and at this stage would have an eye on the headline slot if things continue.

(They should give him Other headline as they did Jake Bugg, it might stunt his career in a similar way)

Think he'd probably accept 3rd to be fair, kind of guy thats just happy to play. no doubt will do some stunt and make headlines too so the slot doesn't matter so much. 3rd pyramid is more primetime tv too arguably than sub / headliner

16 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I hear what you're saying - and Glastonbury only have so many headline slots to allocate, and I'm a bit surprised that they'd use one on Wizkid... however, Burna Boy was able to sub the Other last year, when he was still playing arenas rather than stadiums. I think if he played again he'd be a potential Other headliner now, and by that logic, same goes for Wizkid (given he's up to stadium level as well.)

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Think he'd probably accept 3rd to be fair, kind of guy thats just happy to play. no doubt will do some stunt and make headlines too so the slot doesn't matter so much. 3rd pyramid is more primetime tv too arguably than sub / headliner

Does seem accepting Other Headline/Pyramid Sub is a bit of a death knell to an act's hopes of topping the Pyramid. 3rd down and a ginormous crowd is probably better publicity than being the footnote to a headline set. 

19 hours ago, gfa said:

AM - Wizkid

GNR - Sam Smith

Elton - Prodigy

QOTSA? Fred again? 
wizkid is headlining London stadium a full month after Glasto ? Do dates work? 

35 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Does seem accepting Other Headline/Pyramid Sub is a bit of a death knell to an act's hopes of topping the Pyramid. 3rd down and a ginormous crowd is probably better publicity than being the footnote to a headline set. 

I'd say the cause and effect are swapped. Other is for acts who were never going to get there in the first place, accepting it isn't the nail in the coffin

• 4 weeks later...