Glasto Vibe 'under threat' from...

Bike_Like_A_Mum

...grumpy stewards!! We were camped next to a nudist this year in campervan East. She was great, had some amazing stories.  After only a short while of being there, 2 of the stewards came over saying they'd 'had a complaint' and 'where was she'. I was gobsmacked, she wasn't harming anyone and isn't that what you expect at Glasto...a bit of nudity?!?!

Realistically I don't think anyone complained and it was one of the stewards who was offended for some weird reason. EVERYONE who was camped around us all felt the same and without agreeing to it, we had kind of created this circle of protection around her and none of us were going to point her campervan out. Stewards weren't getting anywhere but they were such busy bodies, kept coming back for hours! Wollies! One of the male stewards was adamant that 'he didn't want to see that and there were children walking past' 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ I've already informed my children that there might be some rudy-nudies ahead of next year. I can't imagine any parent who takes their child to Glastonbury Festival would be concerned about the odd naked person...seriously!

It really got on my nerves that 3 of these stewards were trying to trample on this womans freedom. And I've since checked and it is NOWHERE in the rules that you HAVE to wear clothes. Out of interest...what are your thoughts? Are they being too picky and is the freedom at Glasto slowly disappearing? How do we keep it?

• Like 1

I’d guess they were security rather than stewards. It doesn’t sound like something stewards would care about or bother to get involved in. 

There’s a couple of more naturism friendly areas in the festival and one where it’s actively encouraged but it’s not done much in the main areas these days. I guess it’s because it’s a family event these days and people can’t be bothered with the grief they would get. 

16 minutes ago, stuie said:

I’d guess they were security rather than stewards. It doesn’t sound like something stewards would care about or bother to get involved in. 

There’s a couple of more naturism friendly areas in the festival and one where it’s actively encouraged but it’s not done much in the main areas these days. I guess it’s because it’s a family event these days and people can’t be bothered with the grief they would get. 

Yeh she obviously spent most of her time up at lost horizons. But if you wanted to just bowl around naked while watching a set at the pyramid stage then...shouldn't matter right? It's just a body

5 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Yeh she obviously spent most of her time up at lost horizons. But if you wanted to just bowl around naked while watching a set at the pyramid stage then...shouldn't matter right? It's just a body

I totally agree but a lot don’t these days. There’s some sexism involved too… some people don’t mind women but are offended by naked men! 

🤣🤣 by the way I'm not insinuating that everyone should just walk around naked. Haha. It's just an example of the staff clamping down on silly things.

Plus I've just fallen into the trap of reading some first timers comments on Facebook where they're saying I hope there's none of "this" ...and I hope people don't do "that" and it just made me think, shut up and leave people alone, fun police!! 

Just now, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

🤣🤣 by the way I'm not insinuating that everyone should just walk around naked. Haha. It's just an example of the staff clamping down on silly things.

Plus I've just fallen into the trap of reading some first timers comments on Facebook where they're saying I hope there's none of "this" ...and I hope people don't do "that" and it just made me think, shut up and leave people alone, fun police!! 

There's possibly a stigma around nudity and festivals at the moment, due to the woodstock 99 documentary and subsequent media storm. A lot was made of the nudity at that event leading to S.A and lawlessness in general. 

But honestly, I don't see the problem at Glasto, most people there wouldn't even bat an eye lid. 

Probably best to stay off the slide though... Friction burns would ruin your fest. 

• Like 1

Heavy handed security like that would really put a downer on the mood for everyone. How lovely you all clubbed together to protect the lady 😊

Not Glasto but we were at Porcupine Tree at Wembley Arena on Friday and the security were really being fun police, you couldn’t stand by the barrier to watch for a minute, couldn’t dance, no video-ing (fair enough was a no phone gig but it was only a short clip to catch the atmosphere)… they were just really intimidating staring at everyone trying to catch them out. Hadn’t been to anything like that for a while and at £8 a pint as well really made me long for Glasto! 

1 hour ago, stuie said:

I totally agree but a lot don’t these days. There’s some sexism involved too… some people don’t mind women but are offended by naked men! 

you trolling yourself now?

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

ive not seen a lot of nudity since I started going in 02  ... 1 lady back in 2019 running around west holts is all `i can remember ..... maybe it was the fence that put pay to quite a lot .... 

More likely prevalence of phone cameras and the likelihood of evidence cropping up on social media.

1 hour ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

It really got on my nerves that 3 of these stewards were trying to trample on this womans freedom. And I've since checked and it is NOWHERE in the rules that you HAVE to wear clothes. Out of interest...what are your thoughts? Are they being too picky and is the freedom at Glasto slowly disappearing? How do we keep it?

It's not in the rules but it is a law. Not one I agree with but at the festival its similar to drugs. Technically not allowed but you hope they won't enforce it. I'm sure there used to be something in the fine guide that said "please remember Glastonbury is still part of the world and the normal laws apply" or similar.

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's not in the rules but it is a law. Not one I agree with but at the festival its similar to drugs. Technically not allowed but you hope they won't enforce it. I'm sure there used to be something in the fine guide that said "please remember Glastonbury is still part of the world and the normal laws apply" or similar.

Isn't the law something vague and wishy washy like "if it causes offence"? 

Suppose the steward was offended though. 

9 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Isn't the law something vague and wishy washy like "if it causes offence"? 

Suppose the steward was offended though. 

Or whoever complained was. Which puts the stewards in a difficult position as said complainer could threaten to contact the police.

It's a stupid law...

9 minutes ago, leath02 said:

Photo from 2019

Also saw a whole load of naked people on a trampoline this year 

E466B3FC-DE5C-44F8-B0D4-BDADB2C7F08F.jpeg

45 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

More likely prevalence of phone cameras and the likelihood of evidence cropping up on social media.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Miathedog said:

Heavy handed security like that would really put a downer on the mood for everyone. How lovely you all clubbed together to protect the lady 😊

Not Glasto but we were at Porcupine Tree at Wembley Arena on Friday and the security were really being fun police, you couldn’t stand by the barrier to watch for a minute, couldn’t dance, no video-ing (fair enough was a no phone gig but it was only a short clip to catch the atmosphere)… they were just really intimidating staring at everyone trying to catch them out. Hadn’t been to anything like that for a while and at £8 a pint as well really made me long for Glasto! 

other stuff is a joke but the bold is completely fair enough and i'm not sure your going to find much sympathy on here re cameras

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

It is not against the law to be naked in public. The rules were changed a few years ago due to the rise in naturism, naturists hiking and being nude in their gardens, at non nudist beaches etc.

A nude person in public would only be arrested if they were doing a lewd act or deliberately causing offence. Of-course there will always be someone being offended. But that in itself is not a law being broken unless it can be proved that the naked person had set out to offend.

I'm a nudist so know the rules on these things. It's an important thing for me to know as I wouldn't fancy getting arrested just for being me!

• Like 1