Glasto Vibe 'under threat' from...

Bike_Like_A_Mum

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

@sime would be interested in some thoughts ..... 

I do still camp nude. I am in the far bottom corner of Bushy Fields. No one camping around me ever minds. But I have on occasion at the most recent Glastonbury's been asked to cover up by security. I understand that they don't really get what naturism means so cover up if asked. It's just not worth the hassle to object.

I and many others used to happily wander around the whole festival nude but there are lots of Karens about nowadays who moan about anything so now I just nude up around my camp and up at Lost Horizons. Especially on the Thursday. I usually spend all of Thursday up there loving the freedom to be my happy, naked self.

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

@sime have you noticed a noticeable change in attitudes since you started going ? Or do you think the festival is as it’s always been for you 

Nudity wise it's definitely changed. I've been to every Glastonbury since 1993 and although I still always have a great time, I don't feel comfortable being nude around the festival anymore. Most people around campsites are always cool with me being a naturist but I have felt a change in people's and securities reactions in the last six years or so around the festival itself. So much so that I don't feel relaxed and so will just go nude around camp and up at Lost Horizons. I love it up there. 99% of the people are nude, even bands who play in the areas music tent. It's like another world in there. A naked oasis 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Maybe it's a joke but I've now been banned since this post this morning. I've switched the WiFi off on my phone and that seems to have fixed it. But this is probably my last post because I can't get on any other device now, I'm banned on the lot for no apparent reason? What is going on! 

Before I stop bothering, because perhaps I've mistaken this Forum for an 'exclusive members only' and maybe I don't belong here.  I just wanted to highlight that this woman was literally just lying on a towel next to her campervan. She also got dressed to go into the festival. Still utter madness in my opinion that anyone would be offended. She was perfectly discreet, not that she should have to be. There was families with kids who were also playing ignorant to the security who kept trying to find her again. You'd think they'd have more important things to do.

Also, I suppose I wasn't just posting about nudity in particular I was intrigued about what people's boundaries are when it comes to etiquette and behaviour...in general? What's your priorities for festival stewards/securities?

15 minutes ago, sime said:

Nudity wise it's definitely changed. I've been to every Glastonbury since 1993 and although I still always have a great time, I don't feel comfortable being nude around the festival anymore. Most people around campsites are always cool with me being a naturist but I have felt a change in people's and securities reactions in the last six years or so around the festival itself. So much so that I don't feel relaxed and so will just go nude around camp and up at Lost Horizons. I love it up there. 99% of the people are nude, even bands who play in the areas music tent. It's like another world in there. A naked oasis 🙂

So glad that you still have this space 😊

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Maybe it's a joke but I've now been banned since this post this morning. I've switched the WiFi off on my phone and that seems to have fixed it. But this is probably my last post because I can't get on any other device now, I'm banned on the lot for no apparent reason? What is going on! 

Before I stop bothering, because perhaps I've mistaken this Forum for an 'exclusive members only' and maybe I don't belong here.  I just wanted to highlight that this woman was literally just lying on a towel next to her campervan. She also got dressed to go into the festival. Still utter madness in my opinion that anyone would be offended. She was perfectly discreet, not that she should have to be. There was families with kids who were also playing ignorant to the security who kept trying to find her again. You'd think they'd have more important things to do.

Also, I suppose I wasn't just posting about nudity in particular I was intrigued about what people's boundaries are when it comes to etiquette and behaviour...in general? What's your priorities for festival stewards/securities?

doesn't relate to any posts ... unfortunately some people have been caught in the crossfire of a more general ip ban to try and prevent some of the trolling activity ... hopefully it wont last too long 

2 hours ago, Miathedog said:

Heavy handed security like that would really put a downer on the mood for everyone. How lovely you all clubbed together to protect the lady 😊

Not Glasto but we were at Porcupine Tree at Wembley Arena on Friday and the security were really being fun police, you couldn’t stand by the barrier to watch for a minute, couldn’t dance, no video-ing (fair enough was a no phone gig but it was only a short clip to catch the atmosphere)… they were just really intimidating staring at everyone trying to catch them out. Hadn’t been to anything like that for a while and at £8 a pint as well really made me long for Glasto! 

I was at that gig

1 unfair on security

1.1 the security guys pre-gig were polite, friendly, and professional 

1.2 it's not security you should moan about but venue management, security guys only doing their job as defined by management 

2 the band/band management were at fault for booking a venue unsuited to the gig. As the band said this was the only seated venue on the tour. Big mistake by band management 

3 f***ING cameras. I was at Sigur Ros the night before at Brixton Academy. There were times I couldn't get a clear view of the stage because of the massed ranks of camera phones surgically attached to arms thrust into the air. And again, based on the prominent message on the screen it was the band's choice not security. 

After last festival I noticed more people posting photos of other people with commentary about the person whether it was nudity or outlandish dress etc and that attitude seemed very un-Glastonbury to me. I suspect that is one of the things that has caused a reduction in nudity more than anything else. 

4 hours ago, stuie said:

I totally agree but a lot don’t these days. There’s some sexism involved too… some people don’t mind women but are offended by naked men! 

Many years ago while I was doing a shift on the Glade crossroads I was monitoring a radio conversation about a problem with a naked man in the Tipi field. Turns out, unsurprisingly to have been an old mate of mine. This guy lives/lived the Tipi lifestyle for years, it was completely natural to him with no sexual connations.

The point is as Stuie says is that it's a man.

Shambala Festival actually has a nudity policy:

Shambala’s Nudity Policy

Shambala’s policy on nudity aims to balance a supportive approach to an individual’s wish to feel free and safe to choose to be without clothes, and wider considerations about everyone’s comfort and safety. Shambala considers public nudity of a non-sexual manner to be natural. We welcome respectful [adult] nudity in the campsites and main outdoor festival areas in daylight hours, and of course in the Sauna and Spa areas at all times. As part of our general approach to sexual safety, and a commitment to ensuring everyone’s comfort, nudity is not permitted in indoor venues (other than activities such as talks or workshops where attendees are predominantly seated) or dense crowds due to the anonymity these environments provide for those who may not be acting respectfully or within the law.  Adult nudity is not permitted in the Children’s field (Playtopia) and Woodland Tribe Area’s.

45 minutes ago, airwaves said:

I was at that gig

1 unfair on security

1.1 the security guys pre-gig were polite, friendly, and professional 

1.2 it's not security you should moan about but venue management, security guys only doing their job as defined by management 

2 the band/band management were at fault for booking a venue unsuited to the gig. As the band said this was the only seated venue on the tour. Big mistake by band management 

3 f***ING cameras. I was at Sigur Ros the night before at Brixton Academy. There were times I couldn't get a clear view of the stage because of the massed ranks of camera phones surgically attached to arms thrust into the air. And again, based on the prominent message on the screen it was the band's choice not security. 

I do take your point and the previous poster who replied. I think the main issue is as you say general bad planning for the gig, it really shouldn’t have been a sit down event. Yes security were basically polite and of course doing their job. I just felt the atmosphere to be constrained as a result. There was a guy a few rows in front dancing like mad in his own world and I’m sure it was annoying to those nearest and probably a safety issue etc. but it made me feel sad he couldn’t be allowed to enjoy himself. They could have left him move over slightly and keep dancing - although he did go at it for a lot longer than I expected him to get away with, think he must have had to be very firmly told in the end.

And I agree, fair enough on phones etc. I hadn’t realised at the beginning about the policy but respected once aware. We don’t get out to gigs much and definitely not arena ones. I think I will stick to small gigs or festivals in future as the overall price and experience wasn’t what I’d ideally want. A personal thing. It was really lovely to see so many fans loving the band. I wasn’t very familiar with them beforehand so again that might have coloured my experience somewhat. 

48 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Many years ago while I was doing a shift on the Glade crossroads I was monitoring a radio conversation about a problem with a naked man in the Tipi field. Turns out, unsurprisingly to have been an old mate of mine. This guy lives/lived the Tipi lifestyle for years, it was completely natural to him with no sexual connations.

The point is as Stuie says is that it's a man.

Shambala Festival actually has a nudity policy:

Shambala’s Nudity Policy

I was going to post that Shambala has a nudity policy, which is quit clear. 

nudity isn’t for me but I wouldn’t be bothered by someone being nude. 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

After last festival I noticed more people posting photos of other people with commentary about the person whether it was nudity or outlandish dress etc and that attitude seemed very un-Glastonbury to me. I suspect that is one of the things that has caused a reduction in nudity more than anything else. 

This is a good point and totally out of order!!! I haven't spotted anyth8ng disrespectful but I can only imagine what's out there

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

I do wonder if there's something to the amount of nudity falling with the increase in what's socially acceptable for clothing. As in, I've seen a hell of a lot more bikini tops, tiny shorts and topless blokes in recent years. But then maybe that's just the weather.

Sure felt like there was a bit of a trend for black bikini tops after HAIMs performance.

1 hour ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

This is a good point and totally out of order!!! I haven't spotted anyth8ng disrespectful but I can only imagine what's out there

Yes I saw a few on Facebook and I did point out on a few of them that it was not very Glastonbury to be posting photos of other people in any kind of negative way! 

We were camped in Wicket Ground family camping as usual this year and we had a campfire most evenings. Very small fire, well under control, and we were always quiet. The kids love sitting round it for an hour or so munching on custard creams before turning in.

The first night we were confronted by a lady from a tent nearby demanding that we put the fire out, saying that they could smell the smoke in their tent and they had a baby in there. They even asserted that "fires aren't allowed in the camp sites" and that she would report us to the camp stewards. I told her to go ahead as I was very confident that fires are allowed, but I can't control which way the wind is blowing. She eventually retreated after berating me for a while, but they were camped right next to us and there was an awkward atmosphere for the rest of the festival.

I reported myself to the stewards the next morning and they said that fires are fine as long as they are under control, and they even gave me some pointers about where I could find some firewood.

Not a massive issue but definitely a bit of a downer, and it's first time anyone has complained about us having a campfire. I don't want to deliberately annoy anyone, but campfires are part of what makes Glastonbury special. If you don't want to expose your baby to campfire smoke I would argue that taking them to Glastonbury isn't the smartest move.

35 minutes ago, Cheesey said:

Not a massive issue but definitely a bit of a downer, and it's first time anyone has complained about us having a campfire. I don't want to deliberately annoy anyone, but campfires are part of what makes Glastonbury special. If you don't want to expose your baby to campfire smoke I would argue that taking them to Glastonbury isn't the smartest move.

Totally agree.

Edited by Skip997

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I didn't think you were allowed fires anywhere anymore.

You're definitely allowed them in the crew camping fields (Green Fields crew, Shangri-La crew at least) and the Tipi Field. No idea about general camping, but why would GFL have loads of scrap wood at the Greenpeace/Green Futures crossroads if fires weren't allowed.

Having said that I'm surprised that camp fires are allowed in general camping, I'd have thought the fire risk was huge considering the density of tents, inexperienced people (re fire lighting and management) and drunken fools.

Have always been amazed that there hasn't been a major campsite fire, at least to the best of my knowledge.