Glasto Vibe 'under threat' from...

Bike_Like_A_Mum

35 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

You're definitely allowed them in the crew camping fields (Green Fields crew, Shangri-La crew at least) and the Tipi Field. No idea about general camping, but why would GFL have loads of scrap wood at the Greenpeace/Green Futures crossroads if fires weren't allowed.

Having said that I'm surprised that camp fires are allowed in general camping, I'd have thought the fire risk was huge considering the density of tents, inexperienced people (re fire lighting and management) and drunken fools.

Have always been amazed that there hasn't been a major campsite fire, at least to the best of my knowledge.

Haven't seen a fire in general camping for years.

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

I don't think that's been updated for many a year.

Agreed. But if fires weren't permitted I would expect to find something somewhere explicitly stating that. And the campsite stewards I chatted to were very clear that they are still allowed.

7 minutes ago, Cheesey said:

I do miss the days of candle flares and fires at the stages. That said, mashed people walking around with candle flares were an absolute liability.

image.thumb.png.3dc1a2232fec9a505014afca12267433.png

Visually much better that 100's of crap flags, blocking your view. However my memory of fires at the stages were smoldering piles of rubbish and plastic bottles.

On 11/13/2022 at 1:28 PM, Scrump said:

Nudity...bushy fields....

Mustn't react like a child, serious points are being made....

But tis so difficult..... Arrghhhhh!

It wasn't lost on me when I posted either! 

• Like 1

I hold my hands up to being a complete liability with a camp fire last year...

I had some of those smokeless fire logs, and a small off the floor firepit for the Tuesday evening in CV East (technically allowed). But I've used the logs at centre parcs before and they're not a massive flame and don't last very long. So I thought, being outside, I'd put 3 on. MISTAKE 🤣 huge flame to start with, fire wardens all came over because they could see grey smoke, SOOO embarrassing. However they checked it out and agreed it was a big flame but it was off the floor and they just said don't worry it will die down. I s*** myself for a minute there though for sure! Lesson learned.

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum

6 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I don't think that's been updated for many a year.

It was added in 2015… no mention of firewood before then. Can confirm that there was multiple piles of firewood along the railway line on Tuesday this year before gates opened. 

8 hours ago, Skip997 said:

You're definitely allowed them in the crew camping fields (Green Fields crew, Shangri-La crew at least) and the Tipi Field. No idea about general camping, but why would GFL have loads of scrap wood at the Greenpeace/Green Futures crossroads if fires weren't allowed.

Having said that I'm surprised that camp fires are allowed in general camping, I'd have thought the fire risk was huge considering the density of tents, inexperienced people (re fire lighting and management) and drunken fools.

Have always been amazed that there hasn't been a major campsite fire, at least to the best of my knowledge.

That’s one thing I have thought often.  It’s amazing really.  Especially when there were Chinese lanterns flying all over the place.

8 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Absolutely allowed in all campsites at the festival. One of the joys of Glastonbury. I miss the days when there were fires everywhere.

All tents sold these days are, by law, made to be flame retardant. They're really bloody hard to set fire to. 

Reminds me of a classic video clip of some doughnut trying to set fire to an EU flag in protest as he didn't like EU legislation. The flag complied with the EU flame retardant regs. 🤣🤣🤣

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=10153697243851636&paipv=0&eav=AfZf4OfLrgWcd04tJjPW8RO2UFrRA9ZX90Ul9f9tLz64DoFwyUBcSUP3rDPb-yxbmQU&_rdr

2 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Absolutely allowed in all campsites at the festival. One of the joys of Glastonbury. I miss the days when there were fires everywhere.

All tents sold these days are, by law, made to be flame retardant. They're really bloody hard to set fire to. 

Reminds me of a classic video clip of some doughnut trying to set fire to an EU flag in protest as he didn't like EU legislation. The flag complied with the EU flame retardant regs. 🤣🤣🤣

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=10153697243851636&paipv=0&eav=AfZf4OfLrgWcd04tJjPW8RO2UFrRA9ZX90Ul9f9tLz64DoFwyUBcSUP3rDPb-yxbmQU&_rdr

Yeah, we have a campfire pretty much every year. Never had any trouble or issues with campsite crew or neighbours. As others have said this year there were piles of wood of the railway track and you can always buy logs and kindling. 

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

Reading and Leeds still allow campfires and theres never been a huge fire. If thats deemed safe, glastonbury is perfectly fine

No issue with people having campfires as long as they know what they're doing. Other festivals I go to do tend to insist on the fires being raised off the ground, surprised Glastonbury don't do the same.

I'm just amazed there has never been a large campsite fire, esp at R&L.

25 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

No issue with people having campfires as long as they know what they're doing. Other festivals I go to do tend to insist on the fires being raised off the ground, surprised Glastonbury don't do the same.

I'm just amazed there has never been a large campsite fire, esp at R&L.

Generally the requirement for raised fires is down to not wanting to scar the land rather than safety reasons - those other festivals you go to will mostly be renting the land, whereas Glastonbury own most of the land used for public campsites.

On 11/13/2022 at 8:39 AM, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

...grumpy stewards!! We were camped next to a nudist this year in campervan East. She was great, had some amazing stories.  After only a short while of being there, 2 of the stewards came over saying they'd 'had a complaint' and 'where was she'. I was gobsmacked, she wasn't harming anyone and isn't that what you expect at Glasto...a bit of nudity?!?!

Realistically I don't think anyone complained and it was one of the stewards who was offended for some weird reason. EVERYONE who was camped around us all felt the same and without agreeing to it, we had kind of created this circle of protection around her and none of us were going to point her campervan out. Stewards weren't getting anywhere but they were such busy bodies, kept coming back for hours! Wollies! One of the male stewards was adamant that 'he didn't want to see that and there were children walking past' 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ I've already informed my children that there might be some rudy-nudies ahead of next year. I can't imagine any parent who takes their child to Glastonbury Festival would be concerned about the odd naked person...seriously!

It really got on my nerves that 3 of these stewards were trying to trample on this womans freedom. And I've since checked and it is NOWHERE in the rules that you HAVE to wear clothes. Out of interest...what are your thoughts? Are they being too picky and is the freedom at Glasto slowly disappearing? How do we keep it?

Didn’t see any nudist this year, but decades ago every year without fail. Those security were probably new. 

3 hours ago, gfa said:

Reading and Leeds still allow campfires and theres never been a huge fire. If thats deemed safe, glastonbury is perfectly fine

Depends what you mean by a 'huge fire' I guess?

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2022/aug/29/reading-festival-violence-tent-burning

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They had a bunch of fires way back in 1990 at Glastonbury didn't they, but they were deliberately started as part of the trouble.