Glastonbury is so much more than headliners

Crazyfool01

Exploring the little stages, chilling out away from the crowds with friends, and discovering new acts, such as here, the Small World stage in Green Futures, with the Little Unsaid. There’s plenty places I love, the Bimble Inn, Strummerville, Avalon Cafe, Croissant Neuf, Greenpeace etc…

8DCC339D-245D-48A4-A03B-5B6103ACB89D.jpeg

• Upvote 3

I love that every year you go you can still find something new. Late night wandering is great for this but really any time of the day you'll still discover things.

This year I remember wandering SE Corner on the Thursday and went into this tent/bar. A song starts and a few people are doing this dance routine but then more and more people start coming in but all seem to know this dance. End up with about 50 odd people doing some kind of line dance whilst I am baffled as to how they all pick this up so quickly - I did check and they weren't all in on it 😄 

If you'd asked the question about 7 or 8 years ago I definitely would have said the interaction and creativity in Shangri-La at night. Nowadays I just turn up, have very few plans, a handful of must-sees and let fate decide the direction I go in for the duration of the week. Glastonbury is the only festival I can do that in.

6 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I love that every year you go you can still find something new. Late night wandering is great for this but really any time of the day you'll still discover things.

This year I remember wandering SE Corner on the Thursday and went into this tent/bar. A song starts and a few people are doing this dance routine but then more and more people start coming in but all seem to know this dance. End up with about 50 odd people doing some kind of line dance whilst I am baffled as to how they all pick this up so quickly - I did check and they weren't all in on it 😄 

RIP copper dollar ... that place was amazing for similar 😞 

6 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

If you'd asked the question about 7 or 8 years ago I definitely would have said the interaction and creativity in Shangri-La at night. Nowadays I just turn up, have very few plans, a handful of must-sees and let fate decide the direction I go in for the duration of the week. Glastonbury is the only festival I can do that in.

is that because the area is now a bit of a victim of its own success and needs a certain crowd flow to make it viable ... the one way system . it kind of pushes people through rather than being as interactive as it once was ... 

16 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

is that because the area is now a bit of a victim of its own success and needs a certain crowd flow to make it viable ... the one way system . it kind of pushes people through rather than being as interactive as it once was ... 

Yeah, maybe that's part of it. I can imagine that first-timers still get a sense of wonder witnessing it but for me, the current format has arguably run its course. 

Another non-headliner winner at Glastonbury for me, The Temple. Fucking love that stage. The atmosphere at opening this year was off the charts. Also, no better stage to dance as the sun rises

Just wandering around and seeing what you can see is so much fun. It's an assault on the senses, in a nice way, there's something you don't see every day around every turn. 

We also spent a couple of hours one night where we visited lots of the nicer looking food stalls, buying a dish that caught our eyes at each, we then shared them and rated them. Kind of like a food festival. (For anybody that's been, think Epcot food and wine festival, but even better!)

Edited by Alvoram

14 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, maybe that's part of it. I can imagine that first-timers still get a sense of wonder witnessing it but for me, the current format has arguably run its course. 

Another non-headliner winner at Glastonbury for me, The Temple. Fucking love that stage. The atmosphere at opening this year was off the charts. Also, no better stage to dance as the sun rises

still to go in there ... was initially put off by queues and lack of toilets  but i think they have toilets inside now ? 

36 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

(For anybody that's been, think Epcot food and wine festival, but even better!)

I actually said this to a friend last week who was asking what the food was like at Glastonbury. Used nearly all my dining plan snack credits at Epcot that year 😄 

Edited by DareToDibble
  • Like 1

Actually watching bands live. My wife and a number of people we go with travel around watching dance music, so the festival allow us to enjoy bands in the day and party at night. Know that'll be weird for lots of posters 😊

The great thing is when the music stops at 4/6/7am you are not ushered out by security that want to get off their shift like clubs/venues or lots of other festivals. If you want to head to the Stone circle until dinner time - crack on, if you want to sit in a booth outside the green peace tree at 8am with mates - crack on. 

Basically if you're not bothering other people, enjoy yourself how you want to. 

It's a big, friendly village.  It's open 24/7 and there is more to see and do than pretty much anywhere else I can think of on Earth.  It's what life and society could and should be like.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

This actually reminds me... it could have been complete luck but the toilets seemed cleaner than ever this year. I didn't once have to bleach my eyes after opening a door and seeing a toilet covered in shit etc.

The toilets are regularly cleaned by a presumably paid crew. In the last couple of festivals I've seen the longdrops next to Unfairground being pressure washed early in the morning.

8 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

The toilets are regularly cleaned by a presumably paid crew. In the last couple of festivals I've seen the longdrops next to Unfairground being pressure washed early in the morning.

I don't think they're all paid as I'm sure some people who volunteer for Water Aid end up on "poo crew". But yeah I've seen them being blasted down before too. Maybe they did it more this year or something.

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I don't think they're all paid as I'm sure some people who volunteer for Water Aid end up on "poo crew". But yeah I've seen them being blasted down before too. Maybe they did it more this year or something.

Thats why the price of a ticket went up. So they can pay to blast the toilets after they get blasted by our asses.