The 2023 food stall thread!

Franky

1 hour ago, stuie said:

I had a banging fish finger and cheese ciabatta from a stall by Glebeland but don’t recall the name. 

Yeah I had that from there aswell and it was very good but it didn't have a hash brown on it like fish finger heaven 🤣

47 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Accusations of transphobia against the owner, if I recall correctly 

I was following this at the time - someone approached Happy Maki wanting to put a poster in the window fundraising for a double mastectomy. The owner declined. Fundraising person pushed for reasoning - owner gave her reasons, which were something a bit woo about energy misalignment causing gender dysphoria and wished fundraiser luck, but no thanks. Fundraiser then accused owner of transphobia, convinced half the staff to quit and made a website, insta account and twitter to urge a boycott. 

11 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Any recommendations near to jp ? Seems a bit sparse in my camping neck of the woods 

Agreed.

The route down the hill from the JP to the main path this year seemed to have a concentration of some of the lamest food stalls on site, like a bad stereotype of Reading 10-15 years ago

7 minutes ago, waltere said:

Agreed.

The route down the hill from the JP to the main path this year seemed to have a concentration of some of the lamest food stalls on site, like a bad stereotype of Reading 10-15 years ago

I can confirm this was also true in 2019. Best bet in the morning is to head through woods to Lulus or down past old Beat Hotel to the ones nearer Pyramid.

11 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Any recommendations near to jp ? Seems a bit sparse in my camping neck of the woods 

46 minutes ago, waltere said:

Agreed.

The Cheese Truck were in that area this year and they make amazing cheese toasties! They were on the left after passing San Remo (was Beat Hotel) on the way to John Peel stage. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

The Cheese Truck were in that area this year and they make amazing cheese toasties! They were on the left after passing San Remo (was Beat Hotel) on the way to John Peel stage. 

I’ll take a look thanks was a little disappointed when I tried the worthy cheddar toasties at Pilton party . Maybe I’d just ODd on cheese at that point 

7 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I can confirm this was also true in 2019. Best bet in the morning is to head through woods to Lulus or down past old Beat Hotel to the ones nearer Pyramid.

LULUS wasnt there this year 😭 I think some sort of hospitality camping was there instead

18 hours ago, incident said:

I don't think it was them. It's going back quite a few years now but I'm reasonably confident that the place you mention was a small scale campaign group with very pleasant tactics. Don't think I've noticed them for ~10 years or so though.

Very pleasant indeed.  They say you don't win friends with salad, but they got my signature at least.  I'm probably not allowed into China now, but it was worth it.

4 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I’ll take a look thanks was a little disappointed when I tried the worthy cheddar toasties at Pilton party . Maybe I’d just ODd on cheese at that point 

It's just a bit of a bland cheddar really! 

13 hours ago, gazzared said:

Yeah I had that from there aswell and it was very good but it didn't have a hash brown on it like fish finger heaven 🤣

There’s a fish finger stall en route to the circus field. One of the funniest things I saw this year was a gang of folk dressed as seagulls queuing at it . 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, RolyPolyBatFace said:

I was following this at the time - someone approached Happy Maki wanting to put a poster in the window fundraising for a double mastectomy. The owner declined. Fundraising person pushed for reasoning - owner gave her reasons, which were something a bit woo about energy misalignment causing gender dysphoria and wished fundraiser luck, but no thanks. Fundraiser then accused owner of transphobia, convinced half the staff to quit and made a website, insta account and twitter to urge a boycott. 

What an equally c**tish thing to do to someone's business.

2 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

There is more to the story 

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18824259.workers-quit-happy-maki-brighton-trans-comments/

https://www.instagram.com/unhappymaki/?hl=en

They were at 2000 trees this year, but wherever they are I wont be supporting them. 

19 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

I think the description you're quoting is a somewhat slanted take on what happened.

The phrase "convinced half the staff to quit" is thrown in casually, as if it's somehow an act of malice, but that doesn't happen on a whim or without some proper due cause.

39 minutes ago, therefused said:

There is more to the story 

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18824259.workers-quit-happy-maki-brighton-trans-comments/

https://www.instagram.com/unhappymaki/?hl=en

They were at 2000 trees this year, but wherever they are I wont be supporting them. 

I'm pretty sure we've all purchased food from people with controversial opinions!  

The fact that this woman was so open about hers is a bit strange.

• Upvote 1

I’m looking forward to revisiting Mexican Seoul (really amazing tacos) and Bayou (who I actually discovered at Camp Bestival this year but I’m pleased to see they were at Glastonbury too).  Also the arancini place on the run down into west holts from green fields. 
I haven’t had the joy of the crumble shack so far so that’s top of my list too. 

Edited by Pipine

47 minutes ago, stuie said:

I'm pretty sure we've all purchased food from people with controversial opinions!  

The fact that this woman was so open about hers is a bit strange.

Yeah, extraordinary that someone running a business in Brighton of all places wouldn't understand that you need to live and let live. 

38 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Yeah, extraordinary that someone running a business in Brighton of all places wouldn't understand that you need to live and let live. 

sounds like she'd been researching the spirits on aisle 12

13 minutes ago, Soleili said:

I am ridiculously excited for a Goan Fish Curry. Not had once since my last Glastonbury in 2019!

I went to this place in Cornwall a week or two ago, I don't normally seek out fish curry, but their monkfish masala was perfect, indeed tbh was all their grub. 

https://www.thefishhousefistral.com/

12 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I went to this place in Cornwall a week or two ago, I don't normally seek out fish curry, but their monkfish masala was perfect, indeed tbh was all their grub. 

https://www.thefishhousefistral.com/

"Dog friendly at lunch time", that makes me dubious about their evening menu...