The 2023 food stall thread!

Franky

3 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

That sounds like Eat the Farm, although the location isn't quite correct. They are situated between Leftfield and West Holts, they also do an amazing breakfast sandwich for £5!!!  .....  

There was a place near that which did fantastic chicken wings.

4 hours ago, mikehawk said:

Does anyone remember a tented place with seat near the circus tent, the Hurley Burley or something similar? Haven’t seen it for a while now, did the most amazing (and fairly healthy) breakfasts.

The ownership changed hands about 5-6 years back, and it went downhill pretty much immediately.

I think it's still on the circuit (or at least was, right up until the pandemic), but not invited to nearly as many festivals.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Olshansky said:

Is there an opinion on who makes the best full english breakfast? I've tried a handful and a lot of them seem to be lacking in one thing or the other 

There was a vendor in the big ground a few years back that did a lovely one, but I think they've either moved or moved on. 

By "full english", I take that to imply plated, not vegetarian, and with toast and a cup of tea - In which case the main two contenders are the Divers Diner at the bottom of Cockmill (ie on the upper path between the Pyramid and the Acoustic Stage), or the Childrens World Cafe in Glebeland. Both are competent and slightly cheaper than average, but I wouldn't make a special trip for either.

18 hours ago, incident said:

By "full english", I take that to imply plated, not vegetarian, and with toast and a cup of tea - In which case the main two contenders are the Divers Diner at the bottom of Cockmill (ie on the upper path between the Pyramid and the Acoustic Stage), or the Childrens World Cafe in Glebeland. Both are competent and slightly cheaper than average, but I wouldn't make a special trip for either.

Excellent thank you!

22 hours ago, Olshansky said:

Is there an opinion on who makes the best full english breakfast? I've tried a handful and a lot of them seem to be lacking in one thing or the other 

There was a vendor in the big ground a few years back that did a lovely one, but I think they've either moved or moved on. 

Best cooked breakfast I've had at G is the veggie one in the cafe on the West side of the Avalon field.  Patatas bravas, fried halloumi, spinach, fried egg and smokey baked beans.  Fucking delicious.  Good coffee too.

19 hours ago, incident said:

Agreed Divers Diner is pretty good if not exceptional.  Found out last year that they'll sell you a dish of hash browns for £3.  Great walking round snack.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/2/2023 at 3:11 PM, StoneCircle said:

That sounds like Eat the Farm, although the location isn't quite correct. They are situated between Leftfield and West Holts, they also do an amazing breakfast sandwich for £5!!!  .....  

2 hours ago, gazzared said:

Where abouts are they normally situated.... I'll Deffo give them a try 👍

Here's the map I posted a couple of days ago 😃

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 6:46 PM, philipsteak said:

I work in hospitality. It's even more frightening from this side. If we were actually passing on our full cost increases then, Jesus, the prices would be mad(der)

Exactly this!!!!

Pubs and restaurants are still full at the minute, why? Because they're not passing on their cost increases, instead hoping that some of the contributing factors, energy, fuel etc, (all pushing supplier prices up) improve in time.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There's a milkshake stall in William's Green, but it doesn't use ice cream I don't think. Rather they blend things like Jaffa Cakes and Wispas with milk.

Sounds decent anyway! Thanks! Looks like I'm gonna be swinging by WG (if still there) each morning.

Do the stalls remain in the same place? Or is it just a first come first served basis whereby they choose where they want to go, which field/area, then they are divvied up as close to their desired location as possible?

1 hour ago, BambooShanks said:

Was that the one on West holts or by the other stage? Either way, they both were rather nice!

Yep West Holt's.

I had eaten from one of their stalls in London so I was happy to see them at G. Will definitely be eating from them again

FB_IMG_1682338658274.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SGS said:

some of the regulars will usually be int he same placd but there is a whole plicy for the food vendors that you don't end up with all the stslls of similar styles next to each other so each vendor is assigned a pitch  so everyone gets a shout as trade and people with different tssdtes can still eat together - vegan, burger, pizza Tartiflette all within a minute of each other genius 

Fair enough, makes sense. You don't want all the fried chicken places in a row! There must be high competition for certain spots with the highest foot traffic!