2023 ticket competitions

Leyrulion

2 minutes ago, leath02 said:

image.png.617453be6a6b8929de90b93364670228.png

This is so long! But guess someone has got to win them...

I have every faith in it being someone in here having that level of grit and determination 

Imagine the scenes if two efesters get picked to go head to head. Would surely have to pick eachother as the +1!

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, leath02 said:

image.png.617453be6a6b8929de90b93364670228.png

This is so long! But guess someone has got to win them...

I have every faith in it being someone in here having that level of grit and determination 

I wonder how the scoring system for answering the question 'How much do you want to win this prize' works?  It can only be an arbitrary system, surely? If so, hardly fair. 

10 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I wonder how the scoring system for answering the question 'How much do you want to win this prize' works?  It can only be an arbitrary system, surely? If so, hardly fair. 

It sounds exactly like it's an arbitrary system. Or to be more exact, subjective based on how excited (and therefore, making for good radio) a producer thinks they'll sound.

1 minute ago, incident said:

It sounds exactly like it's an arbitrary system. Or to be more exact, subjective based on how excited (and therefore, making for good radio) a producer thinks they'll sound.

Yeah the BBC 6 one last year had a similar caveat. I think they even used the phrase “how excited you sound” in the T&Cs 

12 minutes ago, incident said:

11 minutes ago, mike46 said:

Yeah the BBC 6 one last year had a similar caveat. I think they even used the phrase “how excited you sound” in the T&Cs 

Thank you both for confirming what I had feared would be the case. I don't think that it's right for the BBC to run an inequitable competition - or anyone else to run one either, for that matter.*

* One of my younger brothers old mates went to a European country to teach a certain sport, within which he was a pro / am. It so happened that the very rich owner of a company became one of his customers / clients. To cut a long story short, the company owner told him to fill out an entry form for his companies competition to win a car. He did just that, and handed the entry directly to the company owner at their next meeting. And guess what? Low and behold, my brothers old mate won the car!  

This was the six one;

20 (twenty) entrants will be selected at random and called by the production team who will check eligibility and ask questions to asses who is the most lively and enthusiastic entrant. If an entrant is not available after reasonable attempts by the production team, another entrant will be randomly selected.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1zDNZxMp4n93GNdmYRw5qmn/bbc-6-music-glastonbury-festival-ticket-competition

10 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Thank you both for confirming what I had feared would be the case. I don't think that it's right for the BBC to run an inequitable competition - or anyone else to run one either, for that matter.*

* One of my younger brothers old mates went to a European country to teach a certain sport, within which he was a pro / am. It so happened that the very rich owner of a company became one of his customers / clients. To cut a long story short, the company owner told him to fill out an entry form for his companies competition to win a car. He did just that, and handed the entry directly to the company owner at their next meeting. And guess what? Low and behold, my brothers old mate won the car!  

I think it's fine. It's an entertainment programme so they want to make it interesting to listen to. They're being clear about it as well. 

In previous years there hasn't been a competition and it was painful to listen to people who couldn't have been less enthusiastic about winning the prize. 

5 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I think it's fine. It's an entertainment programme so they want to make it interesting to listen to. They're being clear about it as well. 

In previous years there hasn't been a competition and it was painful to listen to people who couldn't have been less enthusiastic about winning the prize. 

Every element of what you say are fair points. I just consider it a bit galling in a competition of this nature. That said (and it might surprise some) I am not completely detached from reality that I don't understand that a radio station kind of survives on its ability to emit sounds - of all natures. 

I'd rather that they just did a more equitable version - but in all honesty I was far more offended by the EE atrocity last year where you had to do some debasing shit via TikTok and then convince people to like it. Though it did finally answer the question "What would you do for Glastonbury tickets?" - not fucking that.

4 hours ago, incident said:

I'd rather that they just did a more equitable version - but in all honesty I was far more offended by the EE atrocity last year where you had to do some debasing shit via TikTok and then convince people to like it. Though it did finally answer the question "What would you do for Glastonbury tickets?" - not fucking that.

I had no idea about the Tik Tok debasing thing. From what I have seen of it, debasing oneself seems to be the norm on there.*

* - get me with my fascistic interpretation of the 'norm'!

On 1/3/2023 at 3:32 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

Quite niche but I’ve just seen this for any poets out there 

Hello crazy,

As my wife sometimes writes poetry, i showed her this. And she's very keen to put in an application. The problem is that if she was chosen, they only give you one ticket, and not two - and she would never go without me (and me her -  as happened one year  when vintagelaureate got me a ticket once. A ticket which I gave freely to someone else). So, maybe this year I will be scrambling for a ticket somehow.