Planning application to secure a permanent full planning permission for Glastonbury Festival

Dukeicon

On 1/11/2023 at 5:58 PM, Leyrulion said:

Which one was this in?

But also didn't 7k more feel like a lot!

I keep wondering if he extra 7k felt so much busier due to scheduling , so people all heading in same direction / certain stages busier or emptier than normal etc . I didn’t feel it was busier except after pet shop boys trying to get across site , but then I didn’t go to Arcadia at all or some of the other areas the pinch points were reported at 

On 12/30/2022 at 1:00 AM, maelzoid said:

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I keep wondering if he extra 7k felt so much busier due to scheduling , so people all heading in same direction / certain stages busier or emptier than normal etc . I didn’t feel it was busier except after pet shop boys trying to get across site , but then I didn’t go to Arcadia at all or some of the other areas the pinch points were reported at 

They got picked up on that during the council review this year. They didn't have anything in their risk assessments looking at the size of crowd an act might bring. 

16 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

I absolutely love this stuff 🤗 . The transport plan is interesting but top marks must go to the Biodiversity Enhancement Plan - hedgerow planting, pond building……., and the Flood Risk Assessment and Drainage  Strategy - mainly for the info on the permanent underground cables for GFL and the BBC. Fascinating. This is what this forum is for! Fuck the headliners 😜

15 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

It seems obvious but I hadn't considered the BBC had permanent fibre cables though the site!

A partnership of BBC Music and Glastonbury Festival organisers commissioned Fibre4TV to install a permanent fibre back-bone around the Worthy Farm estate.

Having the obvious complications of installing fibre cable on such a large scale it was decided to use Steel armoured fibre in a combination of 8, 12, 16 and 24 core singlemode fibre. Joining the OB compound with the various stages, such as the John Peel and the Pyramid Stage, the fibre was terminated to these green fibre cabinets to ST and FC/APC connectors for the any number of camera locations or broadcasters that might need to film at that location.

Due to the ‘natural’ conditions that the cable lives in, Fibre4TV make an annual maintenance visit, pre-festival, to ensure that when the worlds eyes turn to Somerset, the fibre back-bone is ready to go.

https://www.fibre4.tv/news/

2 minutes ago, Dukeicon said:

A partnership of BBC Music and Glastonbury Festival organisers commissioned Fibre4TV to install a permanent fibre back-bone around the Worthy Farm estate.

Having the obvious complications of installing fibre cable on such a large scale it was decided to use Steel armoured fibre in a combination of 8, 12, 16 and 24 core singlemode fibre. Joining the OB compound with the various stages, such as the John Peel and the Pyramid Stage, the fibre was terminated to these green fibre cabinets to ST and FC/APC connectors for the any number of camera locations or broadcasters that might need to film at that location.

Due to the ‘natural’ conditions that the cable lives in, Fibre4TV make an annual maintenance visit, pre-festival, to ensure that when the worlds eyes turn to Somerset, the fibre back-bone is ready to go.

https://www.fibre4.tv/news/

Love it! The more you learn about how the festival works the more amazing it becomes. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Why do i feel like we're heading for similar issues this year in terms of crowd congestion?

No more people are joining the party (unless BLACKPINK get announced and all their fans jump the fence of course!) so i'm sure they can iron out the issues, they are well experienced.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chuckles07 said:

Love it! The more you learn about how the festival works the more amazing it becomes. 

Some more I found from a different site of how the fibre is used.

For the last few years BBC Music has selected Timeline Television to provide both the RF and fibre infrastructure for the outside broadcast at Glastonbury.

BBC Music offers its output on various different platforms: television, radio and interactive. Timeline plays an integral role in the sharing of the content across all of these separate operations.

Timeline ensured that the Glastonbury stages were securely connected to BBC TX scanners for the 60 hours of live transmission.

This was achieved through innovative fibre networking solutions, including Riedel’s Mediornet Systems, linked by a MetroN Hub. The whole system was backed up by a redundant video-over-fibre system.

Providing a site-wide wireless camera system, Timeline used a network of fibre-connected antennas to allow live camera crews to cover the whole of Glastonbury.

Timeline’s experienced technical team ensured that this vital fibre backbone performed seamlessly in the notoriously difficult weather conditions for which Glastonbury is famous.

https://www.timeline.tv/projects/glastonbury/

• Upvote 1

this application is a big deal as it's pulling together a lot of planning issues that have built up probably over decades

it doesn't mean that the festival can take place forever though, that's determined by the LA licence

the application is quite complicated actually with a lot of supporting information which has probably taken many months to collate so well done to all involved

dont expect it to be determined any time soon though

2 hours ago, moogster said:

oooh and hey keep adding documents! Maybe we can track this like the "Announcenent" thread. Can't wait to see what the land drainage engineer has to say 🙂

Someone needs to set up an auto refresh or change scanner onto the page!

21 hours ago, Big durbs said:

138800 x £340 is 47 mil ,

plus trader stands (approx 10k x 500 ) , another 5 mill .

dont forget the hospitality which is approx £500 x 2000 ( another mill )

no parking , working on approx 25% coming by car £55 x  ( another 1.9 mill ) 

gives us a running total , before all the bbc ect of £54.9 million 

forgot about parking - also Worthy View and Sticklinch must bring in a fair chunk.

34 minutes ago, Jon F said:

forgot about parking - also Worthy View and Sticklinch must bring in a fair chunk.

Isn't Worthy View run by another farm/landowner though rather than the festival? They may pay a royalty to the festival but I would have thought most of the cash would be kept by whoever runs it.

1 minute ago, Johnnyseven said:

Isn't Worthy View run by another farm/landowner though rather than the festival? They may pay a royalty to the festival but I would have thought most of the cash would be kept by whoever runs it.

No, it's run by GFL now. 

On 1/12/2023 at 5:51 PM, Big durbs said:

138800 x £340 is 47 mil ,

plus trader stands (approx 10k x 500 ) , another 5 mill .

dont forget the hospitality which is approx £500 x 2000 ( another mill )

no parking , working on approx 25% coming by car £55 x  ( another 1.9 mill ) 

gives us a running total , before all the bbc ect of £54.9 million 

45,000 cars in the public car parks by 3pm Saturday. So closer to 2.5 million for car park income.

6 hours ago, Dukeicon said:

Some more I found from a different site of how the fibre is used.

For the last few years BBC Music has selected Timeline Television to provide both the RF and fibre infrastructure for the outside broadcast at Glastonbury.

BBC Music offers its output on various different platforms: television, radio and interactive. Timeline plays an integral role in the sharing of the content across all of these separate operations.

Timeline ensured that the Glastonbury stages were securely connected to BBC TX scanners for the 60 hours of live transmission.

This was achieved through innovative fibre networking solutions, including Riedel’s Mediornet Systems, linked by a MetroN Hub. The whole system was backed up by a redundant video-over-fibre system.

Providing a site-wide wireless camera system, Timeline used a network of fibre-connected antennas to allow live camera crews to cover the whole of Glastonbury.

Timeline’s experienced technical team ensured that this vital fibre backbone performed seamlessly in the notoriously difficult weather conditions for which Glastonbury is famous.

https://www.timeline.tv/projects/glastonbury/

I have absolutely no idea what any of that means but it sounds fantastic. 🧐 

Who would have though a farm in Somerset is able to become a TV studio for live broadcasts of the most popular music and other artists in the world.  And it is top drawer quality of TV broadcasting.

I have to say I'm quite impressed by the amount of people coming by public transport! Hopefully more to come if possible.

It's amazing to see the level of detail at which some things are thought about. A thing of beauty.

I noticed in the list of consulted neighbours that worthy farm is on the list 🙂 " so Mr Eavis, do you thing, as a neighbour, we should grant this licence? "

1 minute ago, moogster said:

I have to say I'm quite impressed by the amount of people coming by public transport! Hopefully more to come if possible.

It's amazing to see the level of detail at which some things are thought about. A thing of beauty.

I noticed in the list of consulted neighbours that worthy farm is on the list 🙂 " so Mr Eavis, do you thing, as a neighbour, we should grant this licence? "

Let’s hope the strikes get sorted and people get those rises … really didn’t think this would still not be resolved 6 months on … although it did seem the festivals plans didn’t helped mitigate much of the chaos 

20 hours ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Why do i feel like we're heading for similar issues this year in terms of crowd congestion?

If it's the same size, layout and capacity, we absolutely are. Kendrick's crowd size won't be as large as Elton's and last year it was a difficult job getting across from the Pyramid to the rest of the site, post-Sunday headliner. That was the only real dangerous overcrowding I witnessed and it was pretty bad. Others have different experiences, of course. Good and bad.