Camping Plans for 2024

Supernintendo Chalmers

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Camped in Paines (when it was called Dairy and vice versa) every year to start with - close to the hedgerow border with Park Home.  Was a great spot until the year they put a big fuck off fire breathing spider just the other side of the hedge!  Considered moving spots after that.  Ended up in Cockmill in 2019 as some of our group had kids and that was great.  No kids last time out though so was towards the back of Big Ground.  Also fine.

No idea what's happening this year as a big chunk of the group have gone all la-di-da and booked Sticklinch.  Not sure whether to switch back to that side of the site (Bushy or Dairy as they're flatter) so we can meet up easier or stick with BG. 

Bushy/Dairy etc. all feel quite isolated from the site IMO which is probably great for people who want the peace & quiet but it feels more "in it" at BG.  If it's up to me we'll stick with that.

Still camp behind the hedge in paines. Just use ear plugs at bed time. Arcadia isn’t that loud. 

8 hours ago, Jacko45 said:

Legend cheers for that!

Not TOO concerned about longer walk, we're all fairly fit do lots of walking.

Plus as you say, once I'm out of camp I'm going to take a rucksack and just be out for the day.  

I was where The Nal has pointed out last year. Arrived Tuesday just before midday. Had I arrived a few hours later I'd probably have been nearer the road in E14 or E15. 

If you're arriving Wednesday I wouldn't worry, you'll get put wherever they have space. 2017 we rocked up Thursday afternoon and they opened a new row of vans right by the road in E14. 

15 hours ago, Supreme2 said:

First time driving this year.. thinking of getting there Tuesday night and queuing with tent and some chairs. What’s re entry like for getting the booze in after? Thinking of having a lighter load whilst queuing 

On Gate C last year there were long queues all morning and not many people were brave enough to do reentry until the afternoon to be honest. There’s a separate lane for reentry but theres a big scrum of people to get through before you get to the lanes.

11 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Tell you what muchos respect to those who get there Tuesday evening/Wednesday early morning and sit in a line all night! 

Must be absolutely shattered come Wednesday evening.

The oxfam field is next to the fence where people queue up for gate B, so Tuesday night I’m lying in my tent listening to them chatting all night just a few metres away from me - I don’t mind the hubbub, I like it, I just feel sorry for them sat in chairs all night while I’m flat and cosy in my bed 

31 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Tell you what muchos respect to those who get there Tuesday evening/Wednesday early morning and sit in a line all night! 

Must be absolutely shattered come Wednesday evening.

It's basically the only time I ever have a nap, quick 30mins lie down then back out. Just make sure to set an alarm or have someone wake me.

The Wednesday night last year was one of my favourite ever Glastonbury experiences so I was glad I powered on.

16 minutes ago, coma girl said:

It's basically the only time I ever have a nap, quick 30mins lie down then back out. Just make sure to set an alarm or have someone wake me.

The Wednesday night last year was one of my favourite ever Glastonbury experiences so I was glad I powered on.

Same.  Usually around 5-6pm.  Amazing what a power nap can do.  Still usually in bed before midnight on Weds though.

One year (2011 I think?) having done the all nighter driving down and in the queue I still couldn't sleep when I got in bed so got up, grabbed a bottle of rum and went wandering.  Met some great people and ended up staying out all night again to watch the sunrise from the stone circle (there may have been some chemical assistance in this...)  Anyway, got back to the tent about 7am when my mate gets up and asks if I fancy going for a coffee and an early breakfast.  Yeah, why not.....

Went all day Thursday again having not slept.  Exhaustion hit me about 11pm on Thursday and that was it.  After about 65 hours with no sleep I was done.  Slept like a baby for 10 hours but all Friday I felt like I had jet lag.  No way I could do that these days.

34 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

The oxfam field is next to the fence where people queue up for gate B, so Tuesday night I’m lying in my tent listening to them chatting all night just a few metres away from me - I don’t mind the hubbub, I like it, I just feel sorry for them sat in chairs all night while I’m flat and cosy in my bed 

We stop and have a chat with some of them on our wonky walk back to the Oxfam field to go to bed.  I wound a group of lads up who said they were queuing to set up camp at back of pyramid and told them it was full there already!

Last year I was at sticklinch. Arrived about 5am and am sure cars were being directed to purple car park and not being allowed to go to orange. Did anyone else notice this? Maybe I imagined it. Am trying to prep a strategy for my son to get to pennards and orange is the obvious choice. 

3 minutes ago, Mich1268 said:

Last year I was at sticklinch. Arrived about 5am and am sure cars were being directed to purple car park and not being allowed to go to orange. Did anyone else notice this? Maybe I imagined it. Am trying to prep a strategy for my son to get to pennards and orange is the obvious choice. 

I think as long as you approach the festival from the east side, you should get directed to the orange car parks

When we drive from London we loop up to Wells and down via Glastonbury town, so we come down to the car parks from the North East, gets us into Pink/Orange. If you come from the A37 side you end up in Blue/Purple. They close off some roads going across so you can't go directly over

56 minutes ago, evilduck said:

When we drive from London we loop up to Wells and down via Glastonbury town, so we come down to the car parks from the North East, gets us into Pink/Orange. If you come from the A37 side you end up in Blue/Purple. They close off some roads going across so you can't go directly over

Ah, so did you come down the M4 or loop up to wells via shepton from the A303 (not only should I probably have asked this question on the arrival strat thread but my responce is getting very trainspottery. Soz everyone) 

I've camped in a few spots over the years. Started off in Dragon Field in 2005, Pennards a couple of times, Park Home, Dairy, A field next to the Pyramid (cant remember which one)Darble (the year the coach toilet leaked over our rucksacks which was grim) and way out in Rigs Field which was lovely and quiet and plenty of space. I still like to party but turning 50 this year so also need to sleep so planning on Rigs again.  Who knows where we'll end up though when we get there..

I started in Cockmill before it was family camping, then moved over to Park Home, gradually moving west with the fence and have camped in Baileys the last few times. We had one exception, when we camped over somewhere nr where Woodsies is but found it too far out for us!  

On 3/30/2023 at 11:20 AM, hoils said:

Does anyone have much experience of the speed Big Ground fills up on Wednesday? Specifically the top end, towards the farm rather than the Pyramid. Our plan it to be arriving into the car parks at about 7am on the Wed morning with 2 smallish tents. Am I kidding myself in thinking we'll find a spot for 2 tents by lunchtime (maybe, queue allowing?) on the Wednesday?

Your best bet if driving and parked up the hill so coming in gate B is to walk through to the middle where you should find space for 2 tents at that time. Go down muddy lane a bit then cut in. If you end up coming in via purple/blue route and Gate C then go up muddy lane and cut in once you get half way up past Kidney Mead. We are normally in queue at 7.30/8ish and have managed at least 2 tents pitched up by 11am. Depends on queue of course. 2010 we were roasting for hours in gate B queue- but then so was everyone else! 

• Like 1