Thread Again

CaledonianGonzo

6 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Apropos of nothing, stretching back for a while now, Other Stage headliners are a sorry combination of acts who are never going to be big enough to headline the Pyramid, and acts who shone brightly very briefly and now look like embarrassing bookings in hindsight.

What a load of complete and utter nonsense.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Apropos of nothing, stretching back for a while now, Other Stage headliners are a sorry combination of acts who are never going to be big enough to headline the Pyramid, and acts who shone brightly very briefly and now look like embarrassing bookings in hindsight.

Chemical Brothers a good counter example - they have actually headlined the Pyramid and so embarrassing that they get booked over and over again.  I think they've had quite a few headliners that maybe aren't what they used to be / declining stage of their career (e.g. Smashing Pumpkins) who really are worth more than you've described - granted there's a few very weak ones in there too, I'm interested in who were you thinking of though?

Just now, p.pete said:

Chemical Brothers a good counter example - they have actually headlined the Pyramid and so embarrassing that they get booked over and over again.  I think they've had quite a few headliners that maybe aren't what they used to be / declining stage of their career (e.g. Smashing Pumpkins) who really are worth more than you've described - granted there's a few very weak ones in there too, I'm interested in who were you thinking of though?

Yes you’ve proven my point, Chemical Brothers are never going to headline the Pyramid again are they? And hence they keep getting booked to headline Other.

1 minute ago, Jose Pose said:

Yes you’ve proven my point, Chemical Brothers are never going to headline the Pyramid again are they? And hence they keep getting booked to headline Other.

I think your words were 'never going to be big enough to headline the Pyramid' - sorry if I misunderstood you.  Still though, who for you have been the embarrassing ones?  

1 minute ago, Jose Pose said:

The Chemical Brothers themselves have stated relatively recently that they were offered the Pyramid, but prefer The Other Stage.

9 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

The Chemical Brothers themselves have stated relatively recently that they were offered the Pyramid, but prefer The Other Stage.

That was 20 years ago.

Plus of course I’m talking about an Other headliner transitioning to a Pyramid headliner?

Edited by Jose Pose

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Obviously this can be debated as it never ended up happening, but Dua Lipa would’ve almost certainly made that jump had 2020 gone ahead.

Best I can see is the XX headlined Other in 2013 and then subbed Pyramid in 2016.  So many good acts have headlined Other over the years - it's a credit to the festival that most of these comfortably headline at other festivals and yet aren't likely to become Pyramid headliners - they are different trajectories and shows that both stages are strong on their own merits.  The don't need to be big enough to headline the Pyramid because it's not the pyramid stage - as for 'brightly but briefly' zzz

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Obviously this can be debated as it never ended up happening, but Dua Lipa would’ve almost certainly made that jump had 2020 gone ahead.

Not much debate tbh. Seems a pretty cut and dried example.

In retrospect that Macca clash would have been miserable stuff.

5 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

That was 20 years ago.

Plus of course I’m talking about an Other headliner transitioning to a Pyramid headliner?

24 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Say what you mean in the first place and we mightn't all jump down your throat.  Seriously though, who do you think have been embarrassing (in hindsight) bookings? - I've asked several times.

I did say apropos of nothing by the way, but there is clearly no notable pathway from Other headliner to Pyramid headliner. Chemical brothers is an irrelevant comparison as they have gone in the opposite direction and are clearly never going to headline the Pyramid again.

I’d imagine we could go back and read comments about Disclosure at the start of their career that would be very similar to Fred Again, but Other headliner was their peak and they were also dull as dishwater in that slot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Say what you mean in the first place and we mightn't all jump down your throat.  Seriously though, who do you think have been embarrassing (in hindsight) bookings? - I've asked several times.

Jake Bugg.

All of 2017 looks weak across the board looking back as well, certainly zero chance of any of the acts troubling the pyramid headliner slot.

7 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Clearly when talking about Fred Again in a thread about Fred Again, it’s obvious that when talking about him headlining Other and then potentially Pyramid, a comparison to the Chemical brothers doing it the exact opposite way round is both daft and irrelevant? Sorry I didn’t spell that out.

Edited by Jose Pose

3 hours ago, Superscally said:

Not true. Has been a meteoric rise from day 1, from Play God and Hypersonic Missiles. Seventeen continued the trend, so would of course be bigger. 

I'd say Fred's rise since the boiler room set has been incredibly fast from obscurity in mainstream to pretty in it now - one big tiktok hit as i said could be his 17 going under?

1 hour ago, Alex DeLarge said:

This is the most grumpy old man thread on the forum right now tbh.

Headliners 2023 lost it's crown after a few months then? thank god, fred taking one for the team if so

6 hours ago, Jose Pose said:

Who was the last act to headline Other then headline Pyramid? 

Stormzy was sub headliner Other Stage in 2017 (below alt-J) before headlining Pyramid in 2019. 

Billie Eilish was third (behind Dave & Christine ATQ) on Other Stage 2019 before headlining Pyramid in 2022.

I'd say that there's a clear path between the two...

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Nice hymer said:

Stormzy was sub headliner Other Stage in 2017 (below alt-J) before headlining Pyramid in 2019. 

Billie Eilish was third (behind Dave & Christine ATQ) on Other Stage 2019 before headlining Pyramid in 2022.

Both of those aren't other headliners - other headliner a bigger slot where its easier to stall at / get cornered into. Lots of the regular other headliners never made it to the top and just keep doing other

12 hours ago, Nice hymer said:

They were not headliners though, and it’s more interesting to look at who was headlining in Alt-j and CATQ, and note just how far those acts are away from being Pyramid headliners now.

Certainly with Billy Eillish that was more a classic case of an act absolutely blowing up after they were booked, as she was huge by the time of that slot. Sam Fender would’ve been similar if he hadn’t have pulled a sickie and missed his JP slot in the same year, he was way too big for the slot by the time it came round. Plus of course the enforced covid break of three years was a big help in her moving straight into Pyramid headliner.

13 hours ago, Nice hymer said:

If you totally ignore the ‘headliner of Other’ part of what’s being discussed.

Fred isn’t subbing other or playing 3rd down on it though. If he headlines other or WH he’s not a pyramid headliner for several years, by which time he will have passed his peak

On 1/18/2023 at 7:36 AM, Franky said:

Right, got in the car this morning and said "Play Actual life 3" .....

40 mins later, after maybe 1 or 2 more upbeat songs the album finished, is it me I thought, am I just too old now to get it, is this really dance music? (As yet have not watched the vid above labelled, Jungle, is that his own material or a DJ set?)...........So, I said, "Play music by Orbital", 

Satan dropped and I was instantly transported to a certain field in 2004 and 10 (10 not their best set I admit) and boy !!!! that is dance music, then Chime, then Lush it goes on and on. 

So, for me, Mr Again is merely an Amuse-Bouche for someone like, The Prodigy, Fat Boy, Orbital, Chems, Nero, Chase and Status....

Each of course entitled to their opinions, but as a lover of dance, I just don't get it. 

Peace out, one love to all ! 

AL3 is not his best work, but Clara (the night is dark) more than makes up for it!!! Absoloutely love that song. 

Then songs like Delilah (pull me out of this) and Bleu (better with time) bring the album together.

Kelly (end of a nightmare) and Danielle (smile on my face) aren't bad either. 

But yeh, lots of filler on AL3, that I haven't quite taken to yet. 

The recently released 'Rumble' with Skrillex is interesting. Can't make my mind up on it, but I keep playing it, so I guess that says something. 

On 1/18/2023 at 2:37 PM, Jose Pose said:

Or bands of a very high quality who have a large enough appeal to headline a significant stage but aren’t big enough with the Nando’s crowd to headline the Pyramid.