How to predict Glasto acts?

churlie100

14 hours ago, 1986 said:

It’s funny how the shorthand and logic on here just becomes a sense after a few months. Then spills into your actual life.

I’ve been lurking here almost daily for over 7 years. Now I can’t hear a prediction from a friend in real life without saying something like ‘well that act is in Europe over that weekend with their only free day being Saturday but they don’t play two days in a row so it’s unlikely.’ And watching them get bored of me before I even finish the sentence.

This is me on our Whatssap group, people are constantly throwing out random on suggestions for Glastonbury and I’m always there to tell them why they aren’t feasible. I think they hate me. 

15 hours ago, 1986 said:

It’s funny how the shorthand and logic on here just becomes a sense after a few months. Then spills into your actual life.

I’ve been lurking here almost daily for over 7 years. Now I can’t hear a prediction from a friend in real life without saying something like ‘well that act is in Europe over that weekend with their only free day being Saturday but they don’t play two days in a row so it’s unlikely.’ And watching them get bored of me before I even finish the sentence.

This is my life.

9 hours ago, Jose Pose said:

This is me on our Whatssap group, people are constantly throwing out random on suggestions for Glastonbury and I’m always there to tell them why they aren’t feasible. I think they hate me. 

I am guilty of scoffing at facebook/reddit/etc comments like that. "Amateurs..." And no I am not proud of it.

1 hour ago, moogster said:

I am guilty of scoffing at facebook/reddit/etc comments like that. "Amateurs..." And no I am not proud of it.

Yep I think I crushed someone's spirit regarding Blur yesterday I gave them a tiny thread of hope to cling to but what can I say they weren't living in the real world. 

From my Whatssap group I’ve had “I think Sam Fender will headline The Other stage”

Er no, sorry.

”RHCP are touring, I bet they’re one of the headliners”

Again, sorry but no.

”Surely Aerosmith will be back”

No for various reason.

”This has to be Fleetwood Mac’s year”

Errrrmm…

There is also no persuading them Spice Girls aren’t the legends.

Edited by Jose Pose

3 hours ago, Jose Pose said:

From my Whatssap group I’ve had “I think Sam Fender will headline The Other stage”

Er no, sorry.

”RHCP are touring, I bet they’re one of the headliners”

Again, sorry but no.

”Surely Aerosmith will be back”

No for various reason.

”This has to be Fleetwood Mac’s year”

Errrrmm…

There is also no persuading them Spice Girls aren’t the legends.

Ah-hem, I'm sorry but Spice Girls ARE the legends. You must have your info wrong, I'm manifesting it 😜🤣

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum

On 1/15/2023 at 6:35 PM, gfa said:

There's a few ways - i'll work with the names you have given.

Alvvays (https://alvvays.com/) are doing Primavera (early june) and some other fests but nothing post glasto. They will probably be about though, would be weird for them to just stop at the start of festival season. They last played glasto in 2015 so thats a good length gap and their new album just came out. Look like a safe bet to me

Yard Act (https://www.yardactors.com/) did Glasto this year but are on the rise and they did William's Green thursday instead of a main stage. They have a show a few days after in France so are definitely about and have a few other shows in the UK. Take that as you will, i think most people here would say they are quite a pushed act at the moment in the music industry so likely to be back

Death cab (https://www.deathcabforcutie.com/#tour-block) look to be in the US at summer, their uk shows are quite a bit earlier than the other two act's so if your going to buy 1/3, i'd argue death cab is best to go for now. They also haven't played by 2015 but the US dates just before glasto make it seem unlikely

Re tickets - worth considering where they are playing. e.g. yard act are at brixton in may which is likely quite big for them i'd think and won't sell out, so you could hold off till the first poster probably. Alvvays shows are in late May so long after the poster and even will have some area announcements too + neither show in London is sold out right now so probably safe to wait.

hope the way i've explained my logic process has helped - if you have any questions just ask 🙂 i'm sure some people have other methods. key things i guess are:

1. time since last played

2. new album release

3. tour pattern

4. other festival slots for larger acts (e.g. glasto and reading tend not to share headliners)

Did Yard Act play only Thursday at Williams Green?  Because I would swear a) I saw Yard Act last year  b) it was Williams Green c) it was not Thursday   but d) I have been down the pub and can't be arsed to check.

10 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Did Yard Act play only Thursday at Williams Green?  Because I would swear a) I saw Yard Act last year  b) it was Williams Green c) it was not Thursday   but d) I have been down the pub and can't be arsed to check.

They played a few times - headlined the Leftfield on Saturday, as well as WG Thursday.  There may have been another (secret) set as well, I think.

11 hours ago, goonerben said:

They played a few times - headlined the Leftfield on Saturday, as well as WG Thursday.  There may have been another (secret) set as well, I think.

I gave in and checked my clashfinder, and they played William's Green on Friday as well - which is the day I would have gone for as I thought I went from Left Field to WG and back again - sandwiched between Brooke Combe (who was wonderful) and Jamie Webster.