Trussell Trust charity Auctions

Crazyfool01

On 2/18/2023 at 8:13 PM, gfa said:

one thing to point out about the auctions - they generated headlines which would help sell raffle tickets

🤔 Did they? I think starting the raffle generated the headlines for people to buy raffle tickets. I don't think the auctions were particularly well received imo.

On 2/25/2023 at 1:52 PM, Jakeyboi135 said:

Any press is good press. Doing something people deem not fair, is the quickest way to generate interest 

I don't think it did generate interest. I thought the raffle itself generated it's own interest, because everyone knew they had a chance of winning.

Crossed to 1m last night - great news.

For those grumbling about the lineup not containing as much as expected - I expect this was the reason for a slightly earlier than planned (thus depleted) announcement.  Last week the raffle had stalled at about 750k, 54/55 names on the poster and a raffle-link included on the twitter announcement and it's been getting funds incoming for the last few days.

Hopefully it becomes a news story that they've reached £1m in time to smash it upwards a bit higher!

What a great total raised in 3 weeks!

Raffle closed now, prize draw next week by the looks of it.

We’ve finally reached the closing date and all of the entries are in. In just a week’s time the 10 lucky winners of once-in-lifetime Glastonbury tickets will be selected so keep an eye on your inbox!

24 minutes ago, mike46 said:

Maths has never been my strong point, but what’s the odds on this 46,392/1? 

Wonder how that compares to ticket day 🤔 

Not brilliant at odds, but I'll have a go... 

That 46k, how many people entered, can be ignored as each person bought a different amount of entries.  It does tell you that on average everyone who entered spent £22.51 though 🙂

Best way to look at your chances is per £10 you spent - each entry giving you 1 per 10,442 chance (ten prizes so ten chances), obviously improving with how many raffle tix you bought (if you were average and bought 2.25 tickets, obviously not an option, your chances are something like 1 per 4,640).

Someone better at odds could probably present that slightly better, I'm not too hot on odds ratios etc but hopefully roughly right.

19 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

Fag packet maths but based on  glasto registrations, there were 2.5m registrations in 2022 trying for 135k tickets so around 20/1?

20/1 verses 10k/1 with the raffle - I won't hold my breath 😄 

17 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Not brilliant at odds, but I'll have a go... 

That 46k, how many people entered, can be ignored as each person bought a different amount of entries.  It does tell you that on average everyone who entered spent £22.51 though 🙂

Best way to look at your chances is per £10 you spent - each entry giving you 1 per 10,442 chance (ten prizes so ten chances), obviously improving with how many raffle tix you bought (if you were average and bought 2.25 tickets, obviously not an option, your chances are something like 1 per 4,640).

Someone better at odds could probably present that slightly better, I'm not too hot on odds ratios etc but hopefully roughly right.

That’s awesome, thank you! I was trying to calculate it this way myself but was getting all kinds of confused. 

Not about the odds but the money raised, was just interested to see what it was like. Really hope this is something they continue each year, fantastic way to generate some funds. 

46 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

@Gnomicide must have figured it out … I deny all knowledge of my dad writing maths books 🙂 

43 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

Fag packet maths but based on  glasto registrations, there were 2.5m registrations in 2022 trying for 135k tickets so around 20/1?

Thing is though, not all people registered for Glastonbury try for tickets, all registrations since 2010 (possibly 2011) are still valid. I know at least 10 people who are registered who don't go anymore. Hell, I know of 3 people who are registered and are dead. 

I don't think there's any way we'll ever know the numbers actually giving it a go. So many devices, so many people just helping... I would guess from number of people celebrating v complaining on ticket day that it is closer to 2.5 to 1.

14 minutes ago, mike46 said:

That’s awesome, thank you! I was trying to calculate it this way myself but was getting all kinds of confused. 

Not about the odds but the money raised, was just interested to see what it was like. Really hope this is something they continue each year, fantastic way to generate some funds. 

Yeah, definitely love for it to be a regular thing.  20 tickets has no impact whatsoever on our chances of getting a ticket, but £1m towards charity is amazing.  They might have to think about when they schedule it - I feel like they had to rush out the lineup a few days ago to try to get this over the 1m mark; maybe there could be 2 or 3 different raffles (e.g. 5 pairs of tickets available after first ticket day; or timed to end near lineup drop; or after resale; or a few weeks out from the festival). 

Earthquake appeal has totally dropped off the news agenda so it'd be nice if this gets it some attention again (while the political discourse is very negative towards displaced people).

<edit>

Actually - seems like a totally under-explored avenue of charitable fund generation by the festival.  All ticket competitions that I can think of before this year have essentially been corporate advertisements - having the auction followed by this raffle might be a game changer for them...

Edited by p.pete

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

So many devices, so many people just helping... I would guess from number of people celebrating v complaining on ticket day that it is closer to 2.5 to 1.

Its a difficult one.  I tried to factor everything in and my brain started to hurt to I just kept it as simple as possible.

Your odds make sense though.  Anecdotally, my success rate of getting tickets is 33% over the last 13 years and I've been fairly consistent with my ticket getting method so I'd hope it's around that