Shower situation

Pr0paneNightm4re

What’s the shower situation like? I’ve heard there’s big queues but wanted to get the lowdown. Are they worth it? How long is the queue usually on a morning?

I had the pleasure of being in artist camping at IOW last year with private shower cubicles and since (preferably) would like to shower but if it’s not worth it I might have to bring a water container and make do

Assuming you're camping on site, 3 sets of showers - Kidz field, Greenpeace and Lost Horizons Sauna, never used them myself but have seen the queues in the morning...

Personally, a bowl, hot water, soap and flannel does the job nicely in the tent.

1 hour ago, bexj said:

Personally, a bowl, hot water, soap and flannel does the job nicely in the tent.

17 hours ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

might have to bring a water container and make do

I can't recommend a collapsible bucket enough.  Takes up virtually no space and means you don't have to queue or go for a shower at an odd time.

16 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

This is fair but sometimes a shower really does make you feel a lot better. I don't often do it due to queues but times I have I've really felt the benefit

If your feeling dreadfully hungover thats a different story to be fair - it can really sort you out

We've upgraded in recent years from wet wipe washes to a collapsible bowl, shower gel and a flannel and it's so much better. The water in our water containers is usually warm enough the next day without even having to boil a kettle - certainly wakes you up! We also have one of those portable solar shower bag things incase any of the girls want to wash their hair (never at the damn taps, so annoying when your just waiting to fill your water bottle!)

• Like 1

This is the official line: https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/advice/showers/?fbclid=IwAR1Jndn3ziDRZghgKndhj7da5VIW8QfaxhhCxosR3JUeeD1la02CSceRY9I

I stay in Worthy view or sticklinch myself partly for access to showers but I think you can buy a ticket for places like zooloos  (off site)

On 2/17/2023 at 10:33 PM, AshleighJH94 said:

Where are shower blocks located? I assume one ever few campsites? 

There are no public shower blocks in any of the campsites. There are a few shower facilities provided by third party enterprises or charities for which  fee or donation may be charged. A trip to the shower often involves a lengthy walk (20-30mins).

When I went in 2019 the Greenpeace showers were closed Friday because of the heatwave causing a drought I think - not sure if they opened up again as I didn't bother trying again but something to keep in mind! 

If you're really desperate Lost Horizon's sells a weekend pass for £50 that has a shower and sauna, just know it's a nudist area so you're likely to see a few willies flopping around in the wind 😛

Quite a few years ago I had a shower somewhere near where JP and family camping are now.  It was a tent with about 6 showers (open not cubicles) and pallets on the floor.

I don’t know if it’s still there.

I went before going to bed at around 9 in the morning.  I was front of the small queue but I think still had to wait a bit because they were solar and needed time to heat up.

20 hours ago, Fishinginthelongdrops said:

Quite a few years ago I had a shower somewhere near where JP and family camping are now.  It was a tent with about 6 showers (open not cubicles) and pallets on the floor.

I don’t know if it’s still there.

I went before going to bed at around 9 in the morning.  I was front of the small queue but I think still had to wait a bit because they were solar and needed time to heat up.

In previous years, a solar shower was located in the cyclists' camping area and reserved for their use in the morning before being open to the public (for a fee) in the afternoon. I haven't been exploring in that area for a few years though, so it might have changed or moved.

The big issue Glastonbury has with showers is capacity. I've been to Latitude a few times and they have maybe twice as many shower cubicles available to the public (for free) compared to Glastonbury, despite having a quarter as many people attending. Of course, Glastonbury's greater size offers its own challenges. The amount of energy needed to heat the water and the amount of waste produced would be far greater than at Latitude, which does somewhat go against the festival's ecological credentials. At the same time, similar arguments could be made against the on-site Co-op and its banks of fridges and freezers running 24/7. And if people are instead doing bowl washes at their tents then tipping it on the soil (likely with non-biodegradable soaps and shampoos) then that seems worse from an environmental standpoint than a shower block which captures and stores waste water.

I do feel showers are a necessity. For a start, Glastonbury is a five-day festival with a far larger site than any other UK event. Two extra days and 2+ extra miles walking per day makes a big difference to the aroma. I think it is being considerate to others to try and keep it to an acceptable minimum. Perhaps more important is how many people travel home via public transport. You might consider it fine to walk around a massive field without bathing for a week, but passengers sitting near you on the National Express bus from Bristol to Newcastle for eight hours might see (or smell) things differently.

• Upvote 2

Had one shower last year and definitely worth it, especially as it had been so hot.
It took about 2 hours to queue though. Didn’t seem like 2 hours. We got breakfast to eat in the queue and my son was in and out of the kidz field whilst I queued. Wouldn’t queue for that long in the middle of the day, but ok in morning. 

On 2/23/2023 at 7:55 AM, FrankieX said:

In previous years, a solar shower was located in the cyclists' camping area and reserved for their use in the morning before being open to the public (for a fee) in the afternoon. I haven't been exploring in that area for a few years though, so it might have changed or moved.

The big issue Glastonbury has with showers is capacity. I've been to Latitude a few times and they have maybe twice as many shower cubicles available to the public (for free) compared to Glastonbury, despite having a quarter as many people attending. Of course, Glastonbury's greater size offers its own challenges. The amount of energy needed to heat the water and the amount of waste produced would be far greater than at Latitude, which does somewhat go against the festival's ecological credentials. At the same time, similar arguments could be made against the on-site Co-op and its banks of fridges and freezers running 24/7. And if people are instead doing bowl washes at their tents then tipping it on the soil (likely with non-biodegradable soaps and shampoos) then that seems worse from an environmental standpoint than a shower block which captures and stores waste water.

I do feel showers are a necessity. For a start, Glastonbury is a five-day festival with a far larger site than any other UK event. Two extra days and 2+ extra miles walking per day makes a big difference to the aroma. I think it is being considerate to others to try and keep it to an acceptable minimum. Perhaps more important is how many people travel home via public transport. You might consider it fine to walk around a massive field without bathing for a week, but passengers sitting near you on the National Express bus from Bristol to Newcastle for eight hours might see (or smell) things differently.

I have to say I disagree, over the many years I've been there and I usually travel home via public transport, I have never felt the need to shower, I wash obviously, but the idea of needing a shower to be clean have never crossed my mind.....

....but each to there own, I camp with people who shower every day at the festival, the flannel and bucket in the tent works perfectly for me