Glasto Hacks

Bike_Like_A_Mum

1 hour ago, 2019 said:

Very nice. Is that an Alce Harfield on the wall?

It is. And a Kate Chidley and Stanley. And the 2022 calendar of Estate Pubs containing some classic Flat Roofed Watering Holes. 

An escape from the world 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, deepkittycaz said:

The Manchester CND Lockups have offered it the last couple of years. They're based by Arcadia (Park Home I think?) and Woodsies.

How does this work? Can you leave your power pack with them and get a ticket for it?! 

On 5/7/2023 at 7:26 AM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

My advice would be to invest in a power unit capable of sustaining you through the festival, rather than queue for ages, then wait for it to charge. Feels like a huge waste of precious festival time. I would imagine that Vodaphone will offer the charging service this year with queues that will give NYC Downlow a run for it's money.

I keep my phone in airplane mode (particularly when busy watching acts) to conserve battery for longer, resulting in a lesser need to charge. Bit of an obvious one, but a tip nonetheless. 

I know it's lump of cash but these are Fantastic. If you are just using for phone, watch etc it lasts two weeks.

Be advised, it's heavy and best left at the tent. Message there being leave the social media alone and enjoy what is happening in front of your face.

https://tackletarts.uk/tools/power-packs/ridgemonkey-vault-c-smart-powerpack-77850mah-wireless-en-2/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu-KiBhCsARIsAPztUF2qwiBNNP4BLmHJl6ZoMup5PKuzV6y_rOg4dN0omkmybzM8UWSaXAEaAvQ_EALw_wcB

44 minutes ago, t0paz said:

If only more people took this approach. In life, not just at Glasto

Word. Seriously, nobody really gives a flying F what you are doing, who you are watching and what you had for lunch.

Live in the moment.

3 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

I know it's lump of cash but these are Fantastic. If you are just using for phone, watch etc it lasts two weeks.

Be advised, it's heavy and best left at the tent. Message there being leave the social media alone and enjoy what is happening in front of your face.

https://tackletarts.uk/tools/power-packs/ridgemonkey-vault-c-smart-powerpack-77850mah-wireless-en-2/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu-KiBhCsARIsAPztUF2qwiBNNP4BLmHJl6ZoMup5PKuzV6y_rOg4dN0omkmybzM8UWSaXAEaAvQ_EALw_wcB

But let's be clear - for most of us (even with big thirsty phones) that device is both oversized and overspecced for what we'll use there, especially if we pay attention to the other piece of your advice. 

The last one I bought was just over a quarter that power, less than a quarter the weight and a tenth of the price - plus no tears if I lost and easy to carry on the coach. 

11 minutes ago, clarkete said:

But let's be clear - for most of us (even with big thirsty phones) that device is both oversized and overspecced for what we'll use there, especially if we pay attention to the other piece of your advice. 

The last one I bought was just over a quarter that power, less than a quarter the weight and a tenth of the price - plus no tears if I lost and easy to carry on the coach. 

I don't disagree with that. Was just putting it out there as a good piece of kit. I use it for other applications all year round like powering laptop from boat etc and was up front about the cost.

It's reassuring if on site for ten days that power will not be an issue. Again, I appreciate that is only a smaller group of people to which this would appeal.

Edited by Jay Pee

5 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

I don't disagree with that. Was just putting it out there as a good piece of kit. I use it for other applications all year round like powering laptop from boat etc and was up front about the cost.

Fair shout - I think it was purely the thread title that made me think others could perceive carrying enough power for a couple of weeks as being a hack 😉

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Fair shout - I think it was purely the thread title that made me think others could perceive carrying enough power for a couple of weeks as being a hack 😉

Do you want me to start a thread called "Glastonbury hacks for people intending to be on site for quite a while and not travelling on Public Transport"? 😝

7 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Perfect 👏

See you at Sparks? I recall us both waxing lyrical about the tour last year..

I will be the one struggling with the heavy back pack as the kids follow me around for a quick top up of their phone 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

See you at Sparks? I recall us both waxing lyrical about the tour last year..

I will be the one struggling with the heavy back pack as the kids follow me around for a quick top up of their phone 

Ooh well remembered 😊

I enjoyed them so much we're also going up to London specially to see them at the Albert Hall and like you would also love to see them on the farm too - hope it's a great stage and doesn't clash too much. 

• Upvote 1

A genuine one this time rather than over specced electronics.

Merino wool undies and socks. I was converted when walking Hadrians Wall a few years ago in really hot conditions.

It may seem counter intuitive to wear wool but it's the best for sweat wicking. There were a few casualties in our volunteer camp in 2019 especially on that insane Saturday. There is nothing worse than knackered feet and nethers.

Not the cheapest but if you buy and only use for outdoor activities, they last forever. We know it's going to be a hot one (weather Gods)

9 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

I’ve got an Outlaw pro one  that’s 72000mah. I may chuck it in along with the RM 12v shower kit for a couple of friends that won’t have easy access to a shower this year

Just been fettling my trolley prior to Festival season and thought it worth sharing the value in packing a few spare split pins and a pair of pliers.

Most trolley's fail because the split pin fails and the wheel falls off. A spare pin and pliers is a massive faff saver.

Stayed in my head from Kendal Calling about 10 years ago when a pal managed to acquire a brand new abandoned trolley at the end of the festival by using her hair clip as a split pin. They still use the trolley for festivals