Where is the firewood?

Leyrulion

It tends to be dumped along the edge of the railway track by the Greenpeace crossroads on the Green futures side.

A lot of it it gets taken by crew before the punters arrive. It's generally pine "planks" from sawmills (the bit with the bark on) and hence is useful for building temporary structures, seating etc.

Edited by Skip997

There used to be a shop at the back of the other stage that used to sell it but been missing for a couple of years. Big shame as used to like picking some up and heading up to the stone circle, was a nice alternative to the SE corner. 

10 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

"making 2022 the first year they had leftover free firewood,"

Where is this firewood kept? I've never seen piles of it on site.

3719388E-8713-4C0F-A718-43E62636DAF5.thumb.jpeg.4a4efc8729349463e26e42465de27fdf.jpeg9C919397-7EDD-4A88-8E23-404C61B9306C.thumb.jpeg.625b680a99fcb973620eecb086ab31fc.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

its a bit sad .... the no fires not happening thing ..... the whole site used to be a waft of smoke and other things around 2010 and before 

Its the one thing I do miss about the earlier Glastonbury's (and Readings) that I used to go to.....the last year we consistently had fires back at our camp was 2008.

2009 onwards everyone was off down the SEC so they didn't really happen, Some of my friends had one in 2011 on a night I was off at Arcadia, and randomly in 2014 me and a couple of others had one on the Sunday after Kasabian (I had to drive the following morning so didn't get silly with everyone else in the SEC. 

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

its a bit sad .... the no fires not happening thing ..... the whole site used to be a waft of smoke and other things around 2010 and before 

The smell of the smoke was delightful.  I miss that so much.

Though I found that drinking laphroaig triggers that bit of the brain and takes me back to the stone circle.

no idea where the wood came from though it just seemed to appear .... cant remember anyone trecking to get it though ...  must have just come from firewood shops and burnt with added 3 for £5 flares and site detritus .... obviously much better for the environment these days  .... but some of my memories come from those times rather than the late night areas 

Edited by Crazyfool01

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

no idea where the wood came from though it just seemed to appear .... cant remember anyone trecking to get it though ...  must have just come from firewood shops and burnt with added 3 for £5 flares and site detritus .... obviously much better for the environment these days  .... but some of my memories come from those times rather than the late night areas 

That’s what we used to do! Bag of kindling and a bag of logs for under a tenner, one of those wax candles and you were set for the rest of the evening meeting strangers and chatting nonsense. Loved it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Used to sell those flares.. 

Buy them off some bloke in the travelers field and try and make some money for pills but fuck they were dangerous lolol sell and move on... 

Also used to set off massive fireworks at the top of the pyramid field on Thursday night .. My friend had a shop... They were like rpg things..the old bill even searched our tents cos they and the security were not happy lol. 

You also had the Stella sellers... Again 3 for a fiver or 1.50 each ... I remember being so off my head I couldn't get the money bit ended up with this bloke who had a wheelbarrow full of Stella and helping him hawk them out.. 

You could even tip the bins over and sit on them when it was wet without people giving you the LOOK 

Still that was then.. There was Alot more thieving etc which isn't so bad nowadays.. 

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

£2 each or I was unwittingly being ripped off 

Ahhhh fuck without even think I did it again.. Yea so that's sort of what happened.. I couldn't figure it out.. Your right.. 2 each 3 for 5 and I wouldn't have it.. My wife's laughing even now at this.. 

I did it again and I'm sober as.... 

Fun times ah 

Just gone through first list old son.. I do a list of every act listen to them and Mark them outa 5

Heres my list so far. Fuck lots of love 0s which means fuck off lol IMG_20230303_191613278.thumb.jpg.d69a7f36fb55c233d5b3b5af2e894e28.jpg

3 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Used to sell those flares.. 

Buy them off some bloke in the travelers field and try and make some money for pills but fuck they were dangerous lolol sell and move on... 

Also used to set off massive fireworks at the top of the pyramid field on Thursday night .. My friend had a shop... They were like rpg things..the old bill even searched our tents cos they and the security were not happy lol. 

You also had the Stella sellers... Again 3 for a fiver or 1.50 each ... I remember being so off my head I couldn't get the money bit ended up with this bloke who had a wheelbarrow full of Stella and helping him hawk them out.. 

You could even tip the bins over and sit on them when it was wet without people giving you the LOOK 

Still that was then.. There was Alot more thieving etc which isn't so bad nowadays.. 

Remember it all. It was of course of its time, but what a time...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Most of it gets snapped up by crew before the punters get there. A lot is used to build stuff, the rest in fire pits, wood burners etc.

There was some left that’s what the article was about … and yeah it gets burnt by tents still although it’s more rare and you obviously can’t do it where packed in tight but sometimes people arrange tents so they can have a fire or in some of the quieter campsites it’s still possible