Where is the firewood?

Leyrulion

2 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

I've recently heard that there won't be any wood on the crossroads above Greenpeace. 

That'll be a first. Will make life awkward for crew who rely on it for building. 

Pretty sure it was so last year, I remember getting an email telling us

35 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

The fires died because of late night areas becoming the go to instead of going back to your campsite and chilling around a campfire with beers or a spliff or ten.

And the over zealous campsite stewards in regards to fire safety. We had a battle every night last year resulting in the fire marshal popping down on the steward's request. He ended up siding with us that it was more than safe.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WS_Jack_III said:

And the over zealous campsite stewards in regards to fire safety. We had a battle every night last year resulting in the fire marshal popping down on the steward's request. He ended up siding with us that it was more than safe.

Seriously? 

I would lose my sh*t if I was told we couldn’t have a camp fire. The weather of course will influence this. 

34 minutes ago, Franky said:

Seriously? 

I would lose my sh*t if I was told we couldn’t have a camp fire. The weather of course will influence this. 

First night the stewards just walked over and dumped water on it, no discussion.

3 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

First night the stewards just walked over and dumped water on it, no discussion.

Holy sh*t. 

Never heard of such a thing at Glastonbury. I am shocked. 

3 minutes ago, Franky said:

Holy sh*t. 

Never heard of such a thing at Glastonbury. I am shocked. 

Let's just say that the veteran of our group was fuming about it. Basically ranting the exact same thing you've just posted. As I said, it became a bit of a battle each night.

Second night we got the program out and pointed to the camp fire section, they said it was dangerous as it was close to the tents (it wasn't).

Edited by WS_Jack_III

2 hours ago, A Particular Grey Chihuahu said:

Where can you have campfires then? The pictures I've seen, the tents are shoulder to shoulder, and you can't have fires in the arenas i.e. Pyramid Stage Field, can you?

We've previously had a circle of tents with a fire / BBQs in the middle.  As our group attending has shrunk and we're a bit more dispersed as a group this has kind of stopped happening.

Frequently sat around fires up at the stone circle and stayed there til sunrise.  Again, not done that for a few years as we've got older and I've now got a toddler with me.

I remember my first volunteering job was fire steward backstage at the Park in 2007 and my sole job was to try and keep the bloody fire going - cos it was so cold and wet . One night we were standing round the fire with Paul Kaye and Jarvis Cocker  and they invited us all for a drink to celebrate someone in Pulp's birthday 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

We've previously had a circle of tents with a fire / BBQs in the middle.  As our group attending has shrunk and we're a bit more dispersed as a group this has kind of stopped happening.

people walking past who had to pitch up in the mud hole thinking 🤔🤔🤔 i couldve camped there lol

46 minutes ago, upstream said:

I remember my first volunteering job was fire steward backstage at the Park in 2007 and my sole job was to try and keep the bloody fire going - cos it was so cold and wet . One night we were standing round the fire with Paul Kaye and Jarvis Cocker  and they invited us all for a drink to celebrate someone in Pulp's birthday 

Sounds like an awesome job!

I think last time we had a campfire at our tent was maybe 2017..... in 2019 the place selling wood at back of other was gone or closed (and has never returned since) - although I think the guys were there in 2019, they'd just been told they couldn't sell wood (I recall walking up to them at the end of one night asking if we could get wood and were told that as it was a hot/dry year they weren't allowed to sell wood for campfires - but I may have dreamt that :D)

Ive been at Sticklinch last couple of years and its a hard no on fires at all 😞 - although I do have one of those small Solo Stoves (smokeless wood burner - well...smokeless once it gets going) - that I was thinking about taking this year

We’ve always had a campfire. Now granted we don’t camp down in the action of the popular fields but most of us have been going for 20 years plus. 

Those of us who enjoy it have given our time and energy to the Glastonbury nighttime gods. When we got back to the tent at 3/4/5 there would always be somebody up (usually one of the girls, now mums) with a fire going and to check us in. 

Now, we are old 😂 and have 3 kids with us aged between 13 and 17. 

We normally go out 1 night and all walk around together and have a laugh for a few hours but normally everyone is back at camp by midnight ready for a fire and to chat sh*t for a few hours.

Genuinely if they removed the ability to have a fire it would kill our groups vibe massively. 

Be like Franky, bring wood. 

And that’s before I get into the random social aspect of having a fire and all the people who stop by for a chat or to get warm. 

• Upvote 2

@Frankywhere do you guys camp? I'm usually away from the action a wee bit, but even in Pylon I don't think we've ever managed to retain enough space between our tents for a campfire! 🔥If you leave a big enough space, someone sticks a random tent in it by the time you get back on Friday night!

6 minutes ago, Sasperella2 said:

@Frankywhere do you guys camp? I'm usually away from the action a wee bit, but even in Pylon I don't think we've ever managed to retain enough space between our tents for a campfire! 🔥If you leave a big enough space, someone sticks a random tent in it by the time you get back on Friday night!

Now, we camp up in Baileys. 

We used to camp up by the cow sheds and the real’ish toilets used to be. But that’s going back decades. 

So once we’ve set up on the Wednesday, in a circle work out everyone has enough room and the tents are a safe distant from the fire we light the fire then. You would have to be pretty desperate to want to plot up on top of that. 

I’m sure I will get some hate for that but hey, like I say, we’ve always camped out of the action for that reason. 

Last year on the Sunday night we had a young lady come and sit with us as she’d lost her brother and phone had run out of battery. We charged her phone up and then she directed her brother to the camp with the fire 👍 and the flag. 

Edited by Franky

1 minute ago, Franky said:

We used to camp up by the cow sheds and the real’ish toilets used to be. But that’s going back decades. 

So once we’ve set up on the Wednesday, in a circle work out everyone has enough room and the tents are a safe distant from the fire we light the fire then. You would have to be pretty desperate to want to plot up on top of that. 

I’m sure I will get some hate for that but hey, like I say, we’ve always camped out of the action for that reason. 

Last year on the Sunday night we had a young lady coke and sit with us as she’d lost her brother and phone had run out of battery. We charged her phone up and then she directed her brother to the camp with the fire 👍 and the flag. 

Baileys was our default site too - and likewise - we would set a fire going at time of arrival just to ensure nobody pitched there

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Franky said:

Last year on the Sunday night we had a young lady come and sit with us as she’d lost her brother and phone had run out of battery. We charged her phone up and then she directed her brother to the camp with the fire 👍 and the flag. 

A-ha! You use the fire to evade the random tents. Genius!!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Anyone know if you could get away with a fire pit in Campervan area?

From the T's&C's 

"Open fires are not permitted. Small barbecues can be used in these fields, but they must be at least 3m away from any vehicle and must be on stand or off the ground."