Whats your absolute ESSENTIAL GADGET / NEW THING you'll be bringing?

Jacko45

11 hours ago, UEF said:

Gas tent heater. A resolution made, I think, on the first night of Glasto 2022. You can wear as many clothes as you like, but if your face is so cold it keeps you awake, I don't like it. 

wear a hoody the wrong way around, keeps your face warm and the morning light out 👍

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, UEF said:

Gas tent heater. A resolution made, I think, on the first night of Glasto 2022. You can wear as many clothes as you like, but if your face is so cold it keeps you awake, I don't like it. 

An eye mask keeps my face warm and the sun out. On top of the blackout tent which also helps with the light and temp in the morning

On 3/19/2023 at 11:26 PM, UEF said:

A buff (other brands are available) made of a moisture wicking material is the meta.

a top tip passed onto me by a mountain guide is to do situps in your sleeping bag: fills the insulation with body heat for a cosy night’s sleep.

He said when bivvying in snow trenches at altitude they would grade the coldness of the night by how many sit-ups you had to do during the night

• Upvote 1

On 3/12/2023 at 3:23 PM, Fred Zepplin said:

https://www.toolden.co.uk/accessories/batteries-chargers/chargers/makita-adp05-usb-charging-lxt-li-on-battery-adapter/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAjbagBhD3ARIsANRrqEtPNCDmPPqB5oZnvd7tGrK88Vtm3n0T2zcvaJ7Ka9n6zTI6vfuh07UaAgrrEALw_wcB

This is brilliant instead of buying a powerful battery pack for anyone who has a drill. Your drill batteries are very powerful and this device you can use that power to charge your phone. 

This looks good. Any idea on the number of charges you get out of it? Thanks.

38 minutes ago, LoveAndTheft said:

This looks good. Any idea on the number of charges you get out of it? Thanks.

I posted about these things last year, including how to calculate how the power in your higher-voltage power-tool battery converts into charges for your lower-voltage phone.  Since then, I've done a few trial runs to decide how many power-tool batteries to bring with me.  The batteries I'm using are the 20v ones for Lidl's cheapo 'Parkside' tool range.  (Obviously, you need to get a USB adapter which is designed for the particular battery you're using.)  My phone has a 4500mAh battery, and I was charging it when it was below 50% - usually between 20 and 30%.

A brand new battery is giving 4 and a half charges.  A used one is giving 3 and a half.  And an old knackered one (judging by the fact that the case is bulging slightly) was giving less - I think 2 and a half.  I've got lots of these batteries, so the only limitation on how much power I bring with me is how many I can be arsed to carry.

My next test is going to be on my trusty 20,000mAh power bank, which I've used for quite a few Glastonburys and seems to still be going strong.  Top tip: whatever you're using, when you get home from Glasto, charge it up fully, then use it enough to bring it down to 50% and 75% charge before stowing it away for next year.  In most cases, the reason people are complaining that their power bank wasn't reliable is that they either let them fully discharge or stored them fully charged, both of which can damage lithium batteries.

Edited by Mark E. Spliff

23 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

I posted about these things last year, including how to calculate how the power in your higher-voltage power-tool battery converts into charges for your lower-voltage phone.  Since then, I've done a few trial runs to decide how many power-tool batteries to bring with me.  The batteries I'm using are the 20v ones for Lidl's cheapo 'Parkside' tool range.  (Obviously, you need to get a USB adapter which is designed for the particular battery you're using.)  My phone has a 4500mAh battery, and I was charging it when it was below 50% - usually between 20 and 30%.

A brand new battery is giving 4 and a half charges.  A used one is giving 3 and a half.  And an old knackered one (judging by the fact that the case is bulging slightly) was giving less - I think 2 and a half.  I've got lots of these batteries, so the only limitation on how much power I bring with me is how many I can be arsed to carry.

My next test is going to be on my trusty 20,000mAh power bank, which I've used for quite a few Glastonburys and seems to still be going strong.  Top tip: whatever you're using, when you get home from Glasto, charge it up fully, then use it enough to bring it down to 50% and 75% charge before stowing it away for next year.  In most cases, the reason people are complaining that their power bank wasn't reliable is that they either let them fully discharge or stored them fully charged, both of which can damage lithium batteries.

Ahhh fab info there and really useful. Thanks so much for the response. Much appreciated.

On 3/22/2023 at 10:45 AM, Jacko45 said:

I'd recommend these instead (granted you won't look as cool, but your beer will actually stay cold)

https://www.costco.co.uk/Sports-Spas-Leisure/Camping/Cool-Boxes/Titan-Deep-Freeze-26-Can-Backpack-Cooler-in-2-Colours/p/1356928

On 3/26/2023 at 11:57 AM, Scrump said:

How do you get them cold in the first place?

Ice from the co-op. I have one of these https://dryicecoolers.com/ which, along with 2 bags of ice bought at around 6-8pm each night stayed frozen long enough to cool down around 2 crates of beer every day (rotating warm beers in for cold ones). Just keep the ice locked up in the bag overnight and put the beers in in the morning - going later on in the evening also saves the crowds in the morning (particularly if you get 2019-like sunshine).

We took probably somewhere between 250-300 beers between 7 of us for the entire weekend last year. Around £200 spent on the beers and probably a £50 spend on ice (10 bags), it worked out as about £35 each for enough beers for the entire weekend - compare that to maybe buying 6-7 pints for the same price (...which we also did whenever we were too far away from the tent to bother stocking up again)

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2023 at 8:10 PM, Beergirl said:

Genius! I was considering one of those rectangular fold up step things so my 8 year old can see the bands he wants to see, but the telescopic stools are so much better suited. Thanks for the tip! 

All the ladies “of a certain age” in the Acoustic tent favour the fold up steps sp they can see the stage. I was in awe, being 5’2” myself. But wouldn’t work in the kind of crowd that’s there for the bands I go and see…unless you want some momentum for crowd surfing 😂

On 3/8/2023 at 11:13 AM, Jacksamthompson said:

Your better off just buying one higher power power bank. 

Something like this will charge your phone five times over: https://www.anker.com/uk/products/a1268?ref=naviMenu&variant=37339971223716&discount=WSCPVHL8LN

Should last the whole weekend (if not longer)

+1 - my Anker lasts more than comfortably from the Wednesday to Monday. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

+1 - my Anker lasts more than comfortably from the Wednesday to Monday. 

A bit cheaper on Amazon 

Deal of the day: Anker Power Bank, 325 Portable Charger (PowerCore Essential 20K) 20000mAh Battery Pack with High-Speed PowerIQ Technology and USB-C (Input Only) for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, and More

https://amzn.eu/d/aCiSE8N

7 hours ago, danssol said:

Very dull but I have purchased packing cubes. I hear good things and backpack is always disorganised

Big fan personally. One outfit from underwear to accessories per day (obv some clothes/accessories re used) per cube. All goes back in at the end of the day and back in the rucksack. Add layers if necessary 

41 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Any packing cube recommendations? Feels like it could reduce hungover tent based admin of a morning....

You can choose between waterproof or with netting so you can see what’s in them. Compression cubes (with double zips) are good to reduce space. The zips go on really cheap ones so false economy. I’ve got various different varieties as my daughter keeps pinching them. I have some like this (but not these) 

Deal: Cipway Compression Packing Cubes Set, Ultralight Expandable Travel Packing Organizers for Carry on Luggage (Grey 3pcs) https://amzn.eu/d/cAMyPwd

For real economy you can use large freezer bags!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Any packing cube recommendations? Feels like it could reduce hungover tent based admin of a morning....

A messy tent is harder to rob so I stand by my practice of throwing everything everywhere and not being able to find anything every morning 😂

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stuie said:

A messy tent is harder to rob so I stand by my practice of throwing everything everywhere and not being able to find anything every morning 😂

I have on occasion thought I’ve been robbed only to find said stolen item much later in the festival … usually when packing away