Memories from my first Glastonbury

Franky

49 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

My first was 2010

- While working on the perimeter fence towers, watching a guy parachute down and landing by the stone circle.  It was chaos on the security radio channel.  Pretty sure ME ended up telling the security to give the man a wristband.

- The cheer from the other stage crowd when a solitary cloud moved over the sun for a few moments of respite from the heat

- Stevie Wonder.  What else can I say?   

I can remember seeing that lol I thought it was a stunt not a chap blagging his was in lol 

1997 was my first Glastonbury.. epic mud, tent leaked, pretty sure I had plastic bags inside my DMs to keep my feet dry, nearly went home but some friends jumped the fence on Saturday to join us and together we had a brilliant time.  
I remember watching Smashing Pumpkins completely trashed, thinking I was in a field of corn wearing moon boots which glued me to the ground 😂 (that’ll be the mud then).

Edited by Pipine

32 minutes ago, BlueJeansAndWhiteTshirts said:

The baking heat. (More of the same please).

Discovering Mik Artistik.

Feeling a Feeling of freedom that I'd never felt before. It was not the happiest period of my life at the time and that Glastonbury helped me check in with myself and allowed me to feel sad and happy and free all at the same time but also that everything would be ok. It's a strange thing to describe. I went for another consecutive 5 after that but your first always holds a special place even if it isn't your favourite. 

This is my best musical memory though.... that field was electric before Stevie Wonder....

I was there for that set, even if not a traditional Faithless set it was still amazing!!! 

I had the same feeling of freedom at my first Glastonbury and the friendliness shown by everyone to everyone, so different to the V's and Readings I had been to where people were fighting and not giving a damn about anyone else around them. 

The first thing I do when I walk through the gates is go 10-20m so I am out of the way, then I kneel down and touch the grass like I am home. Love the place!

4 minutes ago, Pipine said:

1997 was my first Glastonbury.. epic mud, tent leaked, pretty sure I had plastic bags inside my DMs to keep my feet dry, nearly went home but some friends jumped the fence on Saturday to join us and together we had a brilliant time.  
I remember watching Smashing Pumpkins completely trashed, thinking I was in a field of corn wearing moon boots which glued me to the ground 😂 (that’ll be the mud then).

Love that 🙂

2 hours ago, -TLR- said:

i only really have book-end memories of my first Glastonbury.

i got down to the field just in time to see the Levellers - i had a final exam on the friday afternoon and travelled up right afterwards, i literally had a cab waiting outside the school hall.  luckily some friends got there earlier and put my tent up so i just dumped my bag and headed down. also this was when the entry gate for coach drop off was gate B so i had to go pretty much right past our camp to get to the stage. this is the reason we have camped in Big Ground every year since then.

the next thing i remember is seeing Back To The Planet on sunday night on some stage in the Green Fields.

two of my favorite bands at my first Glastonbury, absolutely brilliant.

no idea what happened in between... can barely remember a thing.

Old Skool ! 

24 minutes ago, Adammm said:

2004 was my first and we had in a row James Brown, Supergrass, Morrissey and then Muse to close the festival. I remember feeling so emotional that afternoon/evening and I kept randomly crying tears of happiness.

19 years and 9 Glastonbury's later I still do this and it's always on the Sunday when the lack of sleep is catching up with me and my defences are down!

We share the first Glastonbury! 

Glastonbury virginity friends lol 

1 hour ago, BambooShanks said:

While working on the perimeter fence towers, watching a guy parachute down and landing by the stone circle.  It was chaos on the security radio channel.  Pretty sure ME ended up telling the security to give the man a wristband

I don't think there's any truth in the wristband part but it was a paramotor and the same guy done it in 2010 and 2015.  It was reported that he was apprehended by security and passed to the police and was fined as the festival is a no fly zone. 

2005 was my first one, i'd wanted to go since about 97ish but none of my mates wanted to go, and i wasnt yet of the mindset that would go and do things on my own. I was with a woman who had already been a few times in 2004, and we got tickets - we drove down on the thursday (cos hardly anyone went wednesday back then) and it was absolutely bloody boiling - she threw something of a wobbler just inside gate C cos it was so hot and we were carrying everything from the furthest car park, so i parked her in the shade with a nice cold drink and headed off with the tent to bung it up. within the hour i'd walked through all sorts of greenfields sites and fallen hopelessly in love with the place, bunged the tent up opposite the Other stage in oxlyers, and went back to pick up Herself, who was much more amenable now she was in the shade 😄

and that night, a colossal thunderstorm stuck three inches of rain onto the site in a couple of hours 👍 bit of a baptism of fire/water, b ut i always look at that little spot where i left her to sit in the shade, and chuckle to myself. Its to the right just after Bella's bridge, by the fence. thats nearly eighteen years ago! 

My first was 2013 - went with one of my sons who had just turned 17. Had other friends there with their young children we met up with but didn’t camp with. Stayed in tangerine fields which gave me a very one sided (north!) view of the festival. Didn’t make it to the SE corner or the park until the following year. Despite being a festival veteran found the size quite overwhelming the on the Thursday after arriving in the dark rain the night before. Thursday was very wet and wasting loads of time walking around the muddy site. Worn out before Friday! Fairly sober one for me until I drank a ton of pimms on the hot Saturday and danced on my own to Primal Scream ‘My son very quickly found his bearings and recorded 65 acts! We experienced cold rain to hot sun over the weekend. Highlights were Portishead, Seasick Steve and the Rolling Stones. Have been every year since, once with husband and eight year old, once in a big group and generally with the same 2-3 friends. Ten years on, 2023 will be my eighth Glastonbury.

Edited by Wherethewildthingsare
Typo

50 minutes ago, Franky said:

We share the first Glastonbury! 

Glastonbury virginity friends lol 

And looking at your festival roll of honour 23 will be your 10th one as well as mine! Any idea what point we get invited on to the Pyramid stage and presented with a certificate by Michael and Emily?😂

7 minutes ago, Adammm said:

And looking at your festival roll of honour 23 will be your 10th one as well as mine! Any idea what point we get invited on to the Pyramid stage and presented with a certificate by Michael and Emily?😂

If you have gap years there's no certificate, just a badge 😉 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Running around in my boxers covered in glow stick liquid … the rest is pretty vague 

Haha- did this once! Me and mates smeared all over our faces!

Doesn't really work mind, then someone convinced us it was toxic and we all freaked out! 😂😂

38 minutes ago, Adammm said:

Hahahaha it's actually only my 9th attended I think, thanks to my wonderful little boy! (missed the best line up for me in a decade 😡) I still love him though ............ Just lol 

1995. Was blown away by the scale of it (even then). Seemed a lot more chaotic and lawless back then which was exhilarating. Felt much more like its own society (still does a bit but the concerns of 'outside' seemed even further away - less police on site and practically no phones). 

As I walked in (Thursday at 9am - late to the party but never again) there was some poor dude being stretchered away who was having a bad one screaming about the devil. 

Dreadzone played in the first ever Dance Tent. Due to less phones people were much less in touch with the outside world. JohnMajor, PM at the time had resigned but few people knew. Dreadzone mixed his resignation speech into one of their tunes.  It was the frist time many thee heard of it, it felt like a revolution. The fence was down above the stone circle and loads of people were arriving. Glorious, glorious chaos. Was a sunny one too!

1997 was the my first - was also my first festival. Was woefully underprepared for the atrocious weather conditions, destroyed a pair of trainers that I had won for getting letter of the month in Select magazine. It was a life-changing experience - went with two of my best friends and we just loved the chance to see so many of our favourite bands/artists in one place over the space of a few days. Of course the highlight has to be Radiohead - still the best gig I have ever seen, just a perfect mix of the time, the set, my age and everything. And despite the awful conditions we went back in '98 - when it pissed it down all over again...

Having been 18 for my first Glastonbury the music was the big draw for me, since then Glastonbury has become so much more and it's about the festival as a whole rather than the line-up. I'd probably still go even if there was nobody I was really interested in seeing.

This year will be my 10th Glastonbury, I keep saying it could be my last...but I can well see myself at the end wanting to do it all again.

2003 was my first and some great memories.  Went with an old school mate and used to spend the day/evening/night watching bands with him and then meeting up with some people from a clubbing website I was on for late night music.

Lots of great musical memories but this one sticks out.  

I (rather embarrassingly) was unaware of Love but my mate said you have to see them.  They came out and opened with this and I was like wow, how have I missed this.  Managed to see them 2 or 3 times after this before Arthur died.

2003 was a great year all round as they weekend before Glastonbury I met my now wife 🙂