Memories from my first Glastonbury

Franky

11 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Love all these stories, my mum always always talks about watching The Cure in 86 during the Thunderstorm. Barefoot, toes in the mud. She used to be fun once upon a time, if you met her now you'd wonder how on earth she was ever a glasto go-er! 🤣

I'm yet to experience a muddy glasto. Dare I say it but...it kind of appeals to me for some weird reason...just for the experience and to have my own story of perseverance afterwards! 🤣 

Muddy ? Don't be daft, rain provides the mud, you don't want it, it can go from the most heavenly place in the world to be the last place you want to be.

After 2007 I thought I would never be back and missed a few years 

No ticket for myself yet and even if I don't manage to get one, I would never wish for bad weather there on anyone 

NFRNFC

This sums mine up nicely.  Wasn’t us in the video but it could have been.  

I was a green 18 year old and had never seen anything like it.  

My dad thought I was mad spending £49 on it!  He will be turning in his grave if he knew how much it is now.

1 hour ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Love all these stories, my mum always always talks about watching The Cure in 86 during the Thunderstorm. Barefoot, toes in the mud. She used to be fun once upon a time, if you met her now you'd wonder how on earth she was ever a glasto go-er! 🤣

I'm yet to experience a muddy glasto. Dare I say it but...it kind of appeals to me for some weird reason...just for the experience and to have my own story of perseverance afterwards! 🤣 

Be careful what you wish for

First one in '81, TBH I really can't remember much about it.

£8 to get in, 3 of had raided the penny jars and got there from Bristol, counted out about £15 worth of change at the gate when they smiled and waved us in.

Honestly have bugger all memories of the music, can't believe New Order played! I do remember Roy Harper and Ginger Baker having a punch up stage shortly before I fell in a drainage ditch!

Guess I got bitten by the bug as I did 20 more in total, last one in 2016. 

• Upvote 1

Arrived Saturday due to my school leavers ball the night before. Camped right next to the ribbon tower like a ne'er-do-well. Headed to the Pyramid to find Seasick Steve and the cider bus. Realised after one sip of cider I actually did have a serious hang over from the night before. Got down the 'front' with newly purchased flag and pole (I know, I know, I was young, shhh) for Amy Winehouse. In the gap after her between someone was hitting me on the head with a dildo.

And then this guy proved all the doubters wrong with an additional 2-fingers up to Noel and that epic video beforehand:

I fell in love with the festival that weekend. Never went down the front again and the flag stayed at the tent from then on too.

15 hours ago, stuie said:

bad weather year combined with doing all his stash on the first night and being a grumpy twat from there on in! 🙂 

Ha! Funny What a waste! Reminds me of those TV programmes, Cub Reps - 18-30 holiday thing where lads would rack up to Ibiza for a weeks holiday, blow everything on the first night, end up in hospital having their stomachs pumped and then due to having no money left eating plain baked potatoes for the rest of the week and no booze 😄

Edited by sfroml

Probably told the story on here before but here goes again....

Was aware of the festival from the mid-90s (used to watch the C4  coverage) as a teenager, and then I can recall older friends of mine going in 1997, seemed like something I would like to go to....1998 more friends went, 1999 a lot of friends went and in 2000 pretty much everyone I know jumped the fence for Bowie...kept saying it was pretty mental and wild....

In the meantime I had got into more rock based music and started going to Reading in 1999, got to 2003 and thought I should give Glastonbury a go, but tickets sold out inside 24 hours and I didn't bother following it up but then managed to get tickets for 2004...mind blown, haven't missed one since.  

group that I go with went from 6 in 2004 up to a maximum of 30 for a few years (2009-2013 ish) , but then people got older, gave up taking drugs, then had kids, got married  and got mortgages and its gone back down to a core of 3-4 of us that try to go each year.  Treat it as a holiday, my fiancé doesn't do camping festivals so I just go with my friends, if nothing else its just a good chance to cut loose for a few days with some old mates. 

Still kick myself to this day for not bothering going to any of the last few pre-super fence ones......think I would have loved it in my late teens as well.  Ho hum.

Edited by gooner1990

22 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

86 was my first. I remember Lloyd Cole walking off stage saying ‘Looks like it’s gonna rain’ and it proceeded to absolutely hack it down through The Cure. Was windy too. We got back to our tent to find the fabric gone. Just the frame standing. Luckily it was the days when my Ford Cortina was able to park right by the tent 🙂 so we slept in that.

Also - some memory of Madness being both late and in a terrible mood on the Sunday because Maradona had just scored the Hand of God goal and knocked England out of the World Cup. 

On 3/15/2023 at 3:32 PM, 4AssedMonkey said:

spent lots of time in Shangri-La, which I realise now was at peak strangeness. Playing the devil at ping pong for shots, oxygen bars, hidden venues. It was mental and brilliant and above all inclusive and fun. I made some friends for life. My jaw dropped constantly. I left a changed man. A better man.

This is what I miss about Shangri La. It doesnt feel strange anymore. I still love it - but 09, 10, even 11 - those years were mental. 

• Upvote 1