Other Opener 2023

Superscally

Bloc Party opening the Other when they headlined it 10 festivals ago would have a nice symmetry (if a bit indicative of their decline). Manics should get a higher slot given they were due to be headlining the Park in 2020 - and they’ve probably got too many hits. Other opener suits someone with two-three songs you know from the radio… also it doesn’t get any coverage from the BBC, which probably won’t be a factor but you never know.

1 hour ago, dreams_burn_down said:

In theory I'd agree, but I've already got all my headliners sorted and don't need any more horrendous clashes 😅

Obviously the unspoken rule of this slot is you play your old crowd-pleasing hits, and while Suede aren't above that, they are touring a successful new album which might not make them the best fit.

I wish James had known this rule before their opening slot! The oddest setlist I've heard them play. Dreadful.

1 minute ago, danbailey80 said:

I wish James had known this rule before their opening slot! The oddest setlist I've heard them play. Dreadful.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/james/2018/lowther-deer-park-penrith-england-7beb2ea0.html this one was a bit of a tough one for the first 20 minutes or so!! Think they were pissed off they had to play before Catfish and the Bottlemen after headlining the festival 3 years earlier

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

Cool. I just put "Other" in as topic title and it gave me zero results, which I found surprising?

it will have then given you an option "more search options" where you could have selected to search in just  the topic titles.

(i think some of the searching is throttled to avoid long processes onto the database)

3 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Seems like there's no consensus...did we expect Libertines last time?

It’s quite a wide net of acts it could be so a hard one to nail down without any actual information. The Libertines spilled the beans themselves last year but I don’t recall us having any knowledge of The Vaccines or The Pretenders in the years prior to that. 

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

yes - cos they blabbed.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

It’s quite a wide net of acts it could be so a hard one to nail down without any actual information. The Libertines spilled the beans themselves last year but I don’t recall us having any knowledge of The Vaccines or The Pretenders in the years prior to that. 

Fair play. Loved it, personally. My fave Other opener. Bloc Party shouts are ace... Maximo would get us going...

27 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Think they threw in several songs from what was their new album , girl at the end of the world. Not great. Then due to the delayed start caused by the mud at the front of the stage they dropped sit down and went straight into laid to finish the set. 

27 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I expected The Libertines to be ace given that they used to be such a huge band with such a devoted fanbase but it unfortunately fell pretty flat for me - huge difference from their 2015 set which I loved. 

Yeh, that felt like a pub tribute act. Was very weird, I don’t think my position in the field/wind helped the sound for me to be honest.

47 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/james/2018/lowther-deer-park-penrith-england-7beb2ea0.html this one was a bit of a tough one for the first 20 minutes or so!! Think they were pissed off they had to play before Catfish and the Bottlemen after headlining the festival 3 years earlier

I was there for this.  It was fucking dreadful.  They did a lullaby arrangement of Sit Down with Tim staring into the audience like a mad sex rast, which managed to both ruin the song AND creep out half the audience.  We walked off at that point and were by no means alone.

3 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Jesus that is not a great Festival set. What were they thinking?!

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I can't say with certainty but I'm confident we knew about The Vaccines in advance? I'm sure I remember discussing them on here. May be wrong though!