Other Opener 2023

Superscally

13 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

There were loads of flares and smoke bombs set off for Sam Fender in the Pyramid. Also at the Blossoms gig in the Other field. Never saw any bother about it. Is there any rules regarding smoke bombs and flares?

It's also in the terms of entry:

1. Fireworks, Chinese/flying lanterns, drones, flares and the burning of plastics are not permitted. Please see the Festival website for details of other prohibited items.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

It's also in the terms of entry:

1. Fireworks, Chinese/flying lanterns, drones, flares and the burning of plastics are not permitted. Please see the Festival website for details of other prohibited items.

Someone lot a flare just behind me at a festival once. It was scary and dangerous 😡

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Someone set a flare off in front of me on someone's shoulders at QOTSA on the other stage in 2011.

Someone launched a full can at them, missed & it hit me on the back of the head. 

you dont have much luck with heat related stuff do you ? 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Euphoricape said:

I remember a couple of people in front of us at the libertines setting off flares, and the security went proper mental and I heard they got thrown off the site. Imagine getting thrown out of the festival during the opening act.. 

Pete would have wanted it that way. 

🤣

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Can’t disagree....but that set was early afternoon, and the John Peel was absolutely jumping. I for one loved it. I’m struggling to think of another set I’ve been at with that kind of vibe so early in the day.

I just don't get Gerry Cinnamon. It's pretty awful stuff.

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

I just don't get Gerry Cinnamon. It's pretty awful stuff.

Interested to see if the hype surrounding him is still there whenever he returns. COVID seemed to stop all talk of him dead in its tracks, but seems just the kind of awfulness to scrape his way back to the top.

I think some of the current "flares" are generally smoke based and are less dangerous (at least physically for burns, obviously still bad for those with breathing issues).  Still some mad ones bring in the firework types. I'm guessing security go after the latter and leave the former alone? 

Edited by efcfanwirral

On 3/23/2023 at 1:48 PM, Lucy F said:

Someone lot a flare just behind me at a festival once. It was scary and dangerous 😡

I'm completely used to it because some of the bands I watch have a...certain crowd type that seem to love them, but I forget people who go to more civilised events would not be used to them 

I love a flare at a festival as long as the wielder knows how to operate it. 

Watched a kid on his mate's shoulders try one at a Leeds festival once, it barely lit and then he fell off to everyone around him pointing and laughing. They left. Dolt. 

18 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Interested to see if the hype surrounding him is still there whenever he returns. COVID seemed to stop all talk of him dead in its tracks, but seems just the kind of awfulness to scrape his way back to the top.

Depends where you are. He sold out Ibrox here last year. Same deal with e.g.the Courteeners in Manchester.

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

Wonder if Nutini would do it? In Milan Saturday night.

Too big/currently doing well for himself I’d have thought - kind of expecting him to be on the full lineup in a normal slot. Doesn’t have that reek of ‘has been’ that this slot seemingly requires.