Arriving on the Thursday

DavidFriio

My 12 year old daughter has an unavoidable school event to attend on the Wednesday evening so the two us won't get there til Thursday morning at the earliest.  I wouldn't be so bothered if it was just me but as there's a child in tow I'm concerned about us getting a camping spot appropriate for her and not ending up pitched in the middle of some coked up chavs. 

Anyone else been in the same been in the same predicament? Looking for some reassurance.

3 minutes ago, DavidFriio said:

I'm concerned about us getting a camping spot appropriate for her and not ending up pitched in the middle of some coked up chavs.

I wouldn't worry too much.  The more cocaine  party orientated will be camped in Pennards Hill and Oxylers.

I couldn't tell you if there'll be space in the family camping by thursday but the majority of the areas on the outskirts of the site will be relatively quiet compared to the more central areas so will far less likely to be populated by the worst of the wreckheads.

Yep and in the future Ill probably arrive on Thursday every year. Wednesday is too much hassle.

There will be space in Wicket, Lime Kiln, Darble, Pylon for you to camp. 

Got off the coach last year at *checks Google photos* 10.32am, had my band by 10.43am (inc toilet stop), was in Lime Kiln for 11am and was camped up and en route for a booze by midday.

We camp in Darble every year, setting up on the Thursday (at least for the past 5 years from memory) and it's great. Always nice and quiet, loads of space, plenty of facilities (as of 2022, several breakfast and camping shops too) and a short walk through to the John Peel stage via the campsite above. 

Also in the Thursday boat for the first time since my first fest in 2005! We'll be driving down from the North East on Thursday unfortunately so won't be there until later on. We've previously parked in the East car parks as they were always a quick getaway and on the correct side of site for heading back to the NE. We've also feared the tales of taking 5 hours to get out of the West car parks, especially with a ~7 hour drive home following it.

However, these camping areas listed above are on the far West of site. Can anyone alleviate my West car parking fears? 🙂

1 minute ago, Fearless_Fish said:

Also in the Thursday boat for the first time since my first fest in 2005! We'll be driving down from the North East on Thursday unfortunately so won't be there until later on. We've previously parked in the East car parks as they were always a quick getaway and on the correct side of site for heading back to the NE. We've also feared the tales of taking 5 hours to get out of the West car parks, especially with a ~7 hour drive home following it.

However, these camping areas listed above are on the far West of site. Can anyone alleviate my West car parking fears? 🙂

Traffic management seems much better of late … we left at 10.30 am last time and took no longer than 40 mins to exit the west carparks … luck of the draw though 

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

If it wasn’t for losing out on a spot in Pennards, which I’ve come to love, I’d arrive on the Thursday as well. I don’t need more than one day before the music starts. 

Definitely Wednesday for me - all things being equal. Soak up as much as the atmosphere possible on that rare one weekend of the year (when you get tickets). I'd probably be more flexible if I lived closer, but I'll be missing most of Thursday too travelling down this year unfortunately.

I camped on Darble in 2022. It's really quiet for the most part and there will definitely be space available. You will have a longer trek to the stages every day but it's not too bad and it's so nice to pick up your things and be right by Gate A on Monday morning. I would definitely recommend it if you want a quieter camping space and don't mind the longer walks.

2 hours ago, DavidFriio said:

My 12 year old daughter has an unavoidable school event to attend on the Wednesday evening so the two us won't get there til Thursday morning at the earliest.  I wouldn't be so bothered if it was just me but as there's a child in tow I'm concerned about us getting a camping spot appropriate for her and not ending up pitched in the middle of some coked up chavs. 

Anyone else been in the same been in the same predicament? Looking for some reassurance.

In 2017 we camped at our usual lime kiln spot and there were still families arriving and getting pitches in the nearby wicket ground family camping on Thursday.  I understand it’s moved this year, hopefully it’s still got the same space available. 

27 minutes ago, Fearless_Fish said:

I drove down from Leeds last year on Thursday. Set off at 5am and was onsite for about 11am (including a stop) having parked in the west (pink) car parks. We left on Sunday night though so can't comment on Monday traffic.

40 minutes ago, kalifire said:

If it wasn’t for losing out on a spot in Pennards, which I’ve come to love, I’d arrive on the Thursday as well. I don’t need more than one day before the music starts. 

Most years you don't get one day before the music starts if you arrive on Wednesday. Spend most of Wednesday in this.

People queue for entry on the first day of the Glastonbury Festival at Worthy Farm in Somerset. Picture date: Wednesday June 22, 2022. PA Photo. See PA story SHOWBIZ Glastonbury. Photo credit should read: Yui Mok/PA Wire

4 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

The thought of that does not interest me in the slightest.

2009, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2019 and 2022 were all shitshows on the Wednesday. Fairly sure a couple from 13, 14 and 15 too but I was in the camperfields. 17 was ok. Only a 3 or 4 hour queue if you were there at 7am.

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Most years you don't get one day before the music starts if you arrive on Wednesday. Spend most of Wednesday in this.

People queue for entry on the first day of the Glastonbury Festival at Worthy Farm in Somerset. Picture date: Wednesday June 22, 2022. PA Photo. See PA story SHOWBIZ Glastonbury. Photo credit should read: Yui Mok/PA Wire

Fuck that. 

One of the draws of working it and arriving on Monday. 

That and 2 nights of great parties before gates open. 

28 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Arrive at the right time on Wednesday (early) morning, and you get this:

4E3A05ED-5969-442E-8E35-D2001964EB52.thumb.jpeg.107b2538201c788e43f7e5dee491ed23.jpeg

Just a few people in the queue, the magic of being there to watch dawn break over the site, actual excitement rather than a wait, an appearance from Michael himself to welcome you, the pick of any field to camp, and the privilege of being able to take an late morning snooze on the hill, waking up to the sight of all sights.

16 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Arrive at the right time on Wednesday (early) morning, and you get this:

4E3A05ED-5969-442E-8E35-D2001964EB52.thumb.jpeg.107b2538201c788e43f7e5dee491ed23.jpeg

Just a few people in the queue, the magic of being there to watch dawn break over the site, actual excitement rather than a wait, an appearance from Michael himself to welcome you, the pick of any field to camp, and the privilege of being able to take an late morning snooze on the hill, waking up to the sight of all sights.

What time is that lol about 10pm Tuesday night? 😂😂 

I arrived at about 4am in 2017 and was in a huge queue and it still took 4 to 5 hours to get in. 

Love it though 💪