What is your arrival strategy ?

Crazyfool01

Arrival strategy is firming up... Arrive on coach at about 2.30pm on Wednesday.

Put geat in lock up and have a mooch until mate 2 arrives at 4.30.

meet up (hopefully!) and then find somewhere in the south west to set up camp... That will hopefully still have space for mate 3 who arrives at 9ish that night. 

20 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I also stress until the tent is pitched ... not good with these last few days until the tent is pitched and I officially knock over that first can of cider 

Me neither. Seems to have become more stressful over the years as more have arrived earlier every year. Now go down for about 1am Wed and join the queue at B for the night. Wish they'd park me in Purple too but they keep putting me in Blue each year which is much further to drag trolley. You don't seem to be able to shortcut this either - they decide which route to open first and which carparks to fill first it seems 

2 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Just imagine if the gate queues were always like this:

IMG_7990.jpeg

I was queueing by myself last year overnight and made the mistake of bringing far too much stuff with me including a 43kg tent bag with two tiny skateboard wheels. Honestly the zigzags at gate B nearly killed me, up and down hill about 300 times with a fair few cider in me. 

i know i've said this before, but - i absolutely hate EVERYTHING it takes to get to that first beer opening.

the coach, the queue, the trek to camp, putting up the fecking tent - all of it.

its my tradition that i never open my first beer until AFTER the tent is up - so the sound of that can opening means that the stress is over and the Festival has started!

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Me neither. Seems to have become more stressful over the years as more have arrived earlier every year. Now go down for about 1am Wed and join the queue at B for the night. Wish they'd park me in Purple too but they keep putting me in Blue each year which is much further to drag trolley. You don't seem to be able to shortcut this either - they decide which route to open first and which carparks to fill first it seems 

Listening to @JoeyT on Glastocast saying about things that have changed.....easy Wednesday arrival and it being quieter on site!

My first 4-5 Glastonburys felt like you were in the minority arriving then, and now like you say its stressful arriving and trying to get it right as now everyone's up for a full 5 day party.

My arrival strategy has always been to arrive Weds morning and just pitch up at the first open spot we find, wherever that may be. 

This year there are more of us and our coach arrives much later.

Any tips on the best fields to head towards at around 4-5pm on the Wednesday (group of 6, 2 tents.)?

We’re planning on leaving Milton Keynes around 9am on Wednesday, us with our caravan and our friends in a campervan. Hoping to arrive in quiet camping around 1.30 pm.   We WON’T be opening the cider until the awnings up!  After that it’s bbq before going down to the efestivals meet and then find somewhere to watch the fireworks 

😀.   So excited 😁

Same regular arrival strategy for our group. We leave from the Herfordshire area around 4pm tomorrow (the Tuesday) and head down to Somerset to stay with my sister around 8 miles from the site.

We have a fairly large friends-of-friends group for the Tipi's (3 Tipis + a few other in normal camping) so we don't need to join the early queues Wednesday morning. Usually we head for a good breakfast at a local farm shop and head in hopefully once the road queues have eased. Usually we are in the Tipis between noon-1pm ish 😁

Then the only thing to do is grab a can and think about a bar crawl around site!

Right, I get a bit overheated and pissy when its a scorcher so looking for advice - we're driving and should be in the area at 9am the latest. should I just take my tent the first time and leave my big bag until we go back to the car or is this totally stupid? thinking about the massive queue in the sun...

1 minute ago, svphie said:

Right, I get a bit overheated and pissy when its a scorcher so looking for advice - we're driving and should be in the area at 9am the latest. should I just take my tent the first time and leave my big bag until we go back to the car or is this totally stupid? thinking about the massive queue in the sun...

Just arrive later and miss the queues

Just now, The Nal said:

Theres been some.

Also a lot of "14th trip back to the car for all our stuff" chat.

ha!

I'll hold my hands up and admit I do two trips to the car, but never had a 'day bag' ffs

BTW - Dublin was nice - went to 'The Palace' bar not the Temple in the end.

On 6/18/2024 at 9:35 AM, flyingmonkeypigs said:

Coach from Manchester at 0230, little later than I'd have liked but I left it too long to book. Should arrive around 0800, queue, long walk to Pennards, pitch up then catch up on sleep ready for the weekend. Wake up to new neighbours 

On this coach too! Cannot waaaaaaaait

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

ha!

I'll hold my hands up and admit I do two trips to the car, but never had a 'day bag' ffs

BTW - Dublin was nice - went to 'The Palace' bar not the Temple in the end.

Don’t need to hold hands up … it’s pretty standard for many of us and as long as the sh*t doesn’t get left at the end it’s no bother to anyone else nor should it be . People in campers don’t get whinged at in the same way or those in preerected campsites . Do your thing . 

We are camping at Holt Farm this year, arriving on the coach at about 3-4 pm I imagine. Still not sure whether we would be best off going through PG A before leaving again at PG B to get into Holt Farm or just walk through the car parks straight through to Holt Farm and PG B.

Whats the distance between the coach parking and PG B? Are we likely to have any issues navigating crowds who are queuing for PG A at that time?

Edited by ramblingmad

21 minutes ago, ramblingmad said:

We are camping at Holt Farm this year, arriving on the coach at about 3-4 pm I imagine. Still not sure whether we would be best off going through PG A before leaving again at PG B to get into Holt Farm or just walk through the car parks straight through to Holt Farm and PG B.

Whats the distance between the coach parking and PG B? Are we likely to have any issues navigating crowds who are queuing for PG A at that time?

Holt farm is by PGD

Added stress this year of two extra tents to carry in and put up on the weds for some Thurs arrivals. I will be 99% made up of stress until all tents are up and first cider is in hand. Every year have the same ‘and relaaxxxxx’ moment once all jobs are done and the festival can start.