Festival Medical Services

Crazyfool01

On the 10 year anniversary of my dealings with FMS  they approached me and asked for my story . I thought I might attempt to put that to some use and see if social media might come together and raise them some funds as they are a voluntary organisation that helps us all .On entry to Glastonbury festival In 2013 was pushing my bike up the slope by the chicken shed entering gate A when unfortunately I caught my leg on my bicycle cog and mildly scratched it , thinking nothing of it and not bothering to clean it , I continued my festival as normal . However during the festival unfortunately I became more and more lethargic and started struggling to walk . It came to a bit of a head during the Rolling Stones when at the back of the field I spent most of the set sat looking at the back of peoples legs . A couple of my friends suggested I go to the medical centre and helped me up there , where a leg infection was diagnosed and an ambulance called . I was quickly off to Musgrove Park Hospital in Taunton where I stayed for a week on a drip . Without Festival Medical Services I dare not think what might have happened to me , no leg potentially or worse ( im a type 1 diabetic ) so that makes me more susceptible to infection . anyway FMS look after every single one of us and you really never know when you might need them , perhaps you've used their services in the past ? I know times are a challenging with regards to finances so please donate as much as you are able but if you can't donate please give them a follow on twitter or share the post .Thanks very much Alex

link here for donations https://www.festival-medical.org/charities-we-support

IMG_0219.JPG

Edited by Crazyfool01
working link for donations
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 10

At the many festivals I've been to, I've only needed FM's once, for a friend who needed some reassurance, after taking mdma they gave him that reassurances without judgement , and he was fine a bit later.thanks FMS.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for sharing your FMS story Alex, it’s much appreciated. 

I’ll donate when I get home, in the meantime on behalf of the new FMS Social Media team I’d really appreciate as well as any donations if you can, please follow us on Twitter @FestivalMedic or Instagram festivalmedicalservicesfms or Facebook Festival Medical Services - thank you all!

• Like 1

At the moment it’s a pen and I just swap the needles over for each injection they are pretty sterile . Although later this year I might switch to a pump . But that’ll mean something strapped to me so I’ve been delaying that decision 

17 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

What’s your method of insulin delivery out of curiosity? Very annoying thing to have at festivals which aren’t the cleanest places when you need to inject yourself 3 times a day and somehow do it while holding a box of food

image.jpg

Nice one Alex! 

My best mate and his daughter are both paramedics and go with FMS every year.  They do good work and I think the festival pays FMS well for their services, but they support lots of other great charities with their funds.  

Donation made! 

2 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Thank you for sharing your FMS story Alex, it’s much appreciated. 

I’ll donate when I get home, in the meantime on behalf of the new FMS Social Media team I’d really appreciate as well as any donations if you can, please follow us on Twitter @FestivalMedic or Instagram festivalmedicalservicesfms or Facebook Festival Medical Services - thank you all!

Done. What has Michael done to his leg?

When I broke my ankle in Williams Green on the Thursday night back in 2019. they were brilliant.   Felt very looked after.  Got the option to be taken to hospital, or have a boot and crutches and go to A&E when I left, so obviously went for the latter.   As I sat there waiting, they had to deal with all sorts there, including an older (and I'm 50) gentleman, who had fallen on one of the big metal tent pegs, and very much did need to go to hospital.  The calm way everyone is dealt with there is amazing.

12 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

When I broke my ankle in Williams Green on the Thursday night back in 2019. they were brilliant.   Felt very looked after.  Got the option to be taken to hospital, or have a boot and crutches and go to A&E when I left, so obviously went for the latter.   As I sat there waiting, they had to deal with all sorts there, including an older (and I'm 50) gentleman, who had fallen on one of the big metal tent pegs, and very much did need to go to hospital.  The calm way everyone is dealt with there is amazing.

Good news. If you want us to do a little article like Alex’s on FMS social media please DM me. 

As a Trustee and Coordinator of FMS I would like to thank you Crazy Fool and everyone else that supports us financially every year with your various donations and well wishes.

We also cover Reading, Womad, Glastonbury Extravaganza, Pilton Party and this year the End of the road festival.

It really helps our 2000+ volunteers knowing how much we are appreciated. Thank you.

Hopefully see some of you, not in a medical way ! at the farm.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, westholtschic said:

As a Trustee and Coordinator of FMS I would like to thank you Crazy Fool and everyone else that supports us financially every year with your various donations and well wishes.

We also cover Reading, Womad, Glastonbury Extravaganza, Pilton Party and this year the End of the road festival.

It really helps our 2000+ volunteers knowing how much we are appreciated. Thank you.

Didn't realise you covered reading as well. I've been the beneficiary of your services twice then!

45 minutes ago, westholtschic said:

At Pilton party Guy Garvey stopped the show and called for the medics from an incident right next to me … very speedy response and dealt with swiftly by the medics . You never quite know when it might be you requiring their services !! 

38 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

At Pilton party Guy Garvey stopped the show and called for the medics from an incident right next to me … very speedy response and dealt with swiftly by the medics . You never quite know when it might be you requiring their services !! 

He did indeed. And you got a mention 😀