Unpopular Opinions - Glasto Edition

Justcalledtosay

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

I'd bloody love a straight edge festival: no drugs, no alcohol, even caffeine etc banned.

Just music and people, unadulterated 👍

Hey Balti

I think this is what you're looking for:

https://www.intothewildgathering.com/

I won't be attending but do let us know how it was!     

P.S. coffee revels are the best ones!      

50 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

For those of us who pretty much never have caffeine, it would be extremely amusing 😄 i'll keep you all at bay with the promise of those hideous coffee Revels! 

You'd never see us we'd all still be huddled in our tents and vans.

As someone who takes whole beans and a grinder to festivals the Revels comment is unforgivable. Maybe one of the worst things anyone's said on here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

When I first went I think all of my group would wet wipe wash … and they are pretty useless tbh , now none of us use them … same with us the harras fence was often used by people showering . 

When I first started doing festivals in 1999 it was wet wipes.....then people started bringing towels, then came watering cans to fill with water and tip over the head, now some (but not me) have the showers and bring a full wash kit.

Guess times just move on, I also remember festivals before camping chairs were a thing...everyone just used to sit on the floor around a fire!

We had the big green fencing by us that people were hanging everything all over the place...no wonder some people looked so fresh they spent all morning preening themselves!

coffee revels are absolute stains upon human civilisation and should not be permitted. Its a crime, them being so hard to discern from the orange (also dreadful) or the little toffee ones. 

45 minutes ago, stuie said:

Hey Balti

I think this is what you're looking for:

https://www.intothewildgathering.com/

I won't be attending but do let us know how it was!     

P.S. coffee revels are the best ones!      

hmm, its only about twenty miles from me, it sounds alright! might see if they need some volunteers for next year! 

Edited by balti-pie

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

When I first started doing festivals in 1985 no one bothered and just accepted they'd smell for 3 days...

I’m quite happy washing .is that controversial now ? or a definite improvement ?  I feel almost human after a cold shower 🙂 

Edited by Crazyfool01

10 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

coffee revels are absolute stains upon human civilisation and should not be permitted. Its a crime, them being so hard to discern from the orange (also dreadful) or the little toffee ones. 

sounds like revels are not the ones for you 🙂 

36 minutes ago, stuie said:

sounds like revels are not the ones for you 🙂 

tbf if i just mixed up a big bag of maltesers, stuck some minstrels in there, and found a few toffee poppets from somewhere- that'd take away the jeopardy of the bad ones.

Might even put some peanut m&m's in there and really live the high life! 😁 see what excitement a drug and alcohol free life can lead to? 😄 

5 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

with a hint of patchouli. 

My first ever weighed out 'deal'

Small Set Brass Scales In Blue Velvet Box With 20 Gram Weight Antique Style Gift - Picture 1 of 9

was via weighing scales. I was about 16 or 17, and the two blokes in front of me were both Hell's Angels. I wasn't alone. I was taken there by someone who is now apparently a fascist (oh, the times they are a changing). The other two people were the two daughters of the pub's managers who's upstairs room we were in. 

Both those bikers smelt of what I eventually knew to be patchouli. Then I smelt it on more and more people. All very odd to me, but guess I was just that fraction too young. 

8 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Small Set Brass Scales In Blue Velvet Box With 20 Gram Weight Antique Style Gift - Picture 1 of 9

was via weighing scales. I was about 16 or 17, and the two blokes in front of me were both Hell's Angels. I wasn't alone. I was taken there by someone who is now apparently a fascist (oh, the times they are a changing). The other two people were the two daughters of the pub's managers who's upstairs room we were in. 

Both those bikers smelt of what I eventually knew to be patchouli. Then I smelt it on more and more people. All very odd to me, but guess I was just that fraction too young. 

reminds me, took a friend to score some speed once from some bikers, front door was for an upstairs flat, and  at the top of the indoor stairs was a big hairy biker pointing a shotgun at us by the door (including at his mate who'd opened the door). glad i only went there once 🙂 

those bikers smelt too, not of patchouli, they just smelt.

26 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm sure that you'll remember these too! 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Took a load of these to Glastonbury one year. Never seen anything sell so quickly, except for the crate of Special Brew a mate had left over on the Monday.

1 minute ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

I'm sure that you'll remember these too! 

s-l1600.jpg

Ah yes. What a load of shite they were.

21 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm afraid that I don't Sawdusty. You'll have to enlighten me?

They were called 'Finger Scales' 

Put whatever needed to be weighed in the spring loaded clip and then dangle the infernal contraption by the round keyring thing. Horribly inaccurate. Obviously could be calibrated by hanging a 1p or 2p piece from it first. 

Haven't seen one for decades, thankfully. Used to cost 99p from any nonreputable headshop. 

1 hour ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

They were called 'Finger Scales' 

Put whatever needed to be weighed in the spring loaded clip and then dangle the infernal contraption by the round keyring thing. Horribly inaccurate. Obviously could be calibrated by hanging a 1p or 2p piece from it first. 

Haven't seen one for decades, thankfully. Used to cost 99p from any nonreputable headshop. 

No, never saw them in my time. And yes, they do look unreliable, to say the least.

As an aside ( and going back to Hell's Angels) an ex mate (the only person who I have ever told to f**k off in my life) was once woken up by his mother who indicated that their (posh) circular driveway was full of Hells Angels asking for him. So, he quickly put on his school uniform (he was only 14) and went out to deal to them what they wanted, and then they all rode off. 

On 9/15/2023 at 3:16 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Whenever my school was broken into the electronic chemical balances in my lab were targeted. Seems they were more desirable than computers, iPads etc. The bastards even took my lab coat.