williams green ... carhenge

Crazyfool01

The problem for me with WG was there was lots of bands/acts I would enjoy, but that also that would likely turn up at my local venue in the months afterwards, so would get overlooked in favour of acts I would otherwise struggle to see.   As someone who is not a massive dance music fan though, the removal of one more alternate late night spot (two if you count cineramageddon) is a shame.  

1 hour ago, Johnnyseven said:

British indie type stuff I think, although I did see Thurston Moore play in there one year.

I saw quite a few international acts there. I think I’d define it as breakthrough acts that aren’t big enough for the Park or JP and not London-connected enough for BBC Introducing 😉 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Harry3 said:

I never set foot in WG. Can anyone tell me what sort of music it usually catered for?

This was a great Williams Green lineup imo. Mainly Indie/alt acts that are bigger than BBC introducing, but would probably only make it to the JP/Park stage if they were on early

20230505_151559.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lubic87 said:

This was a great Williams Green lineup imo. Mainly Indie/alt acts that are bigger than BBC introducing, but would probably only make it to the JP/Park stage if they were on early

Agreed - 2019 was great! 

I totally understand the earlier point about it being a lot of artists you could see when they came through your town.  I use the same logic when deciding who to see across the weekend. 

For me, I'm coming over from Canada, so it was a great spot to see bands who probably won't be touring overseas. I love Bill Ryder-Jones.  Absolutely one of my favourite artists.  I was very, very happy to see him on WG in 2019.  

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Looks like a full circle of cars 

I wasn’t there in 1987 and I don’t really understand what’s so good about this. In a year of budget constraints it seems to be big spending on a vanity project, a bit like Glastonbury on Sea. 

But, I trust these people to pull off the party! 

6 minutes ago, stuie said:

I wasn’t there in 1987 and I don’t really understand what’s so good about this. In a year of budget constraints it seems to be big spending on a vanity project, a bit like Glastonbury on Sea. 

Is it big spending ? Difficult to say they are just kebab skewering a few nice motors and mounting them on concrete slabs …. But yeah let’s see . The party’s still gonna be great 

38 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Is it big spending ? Difficult to say they are just kebab skewering a few nice motors and mounting them on concrete slabs …. But yeah let’s see . The party’s still gonna be great 

Those foundations for a full circle will be costing 0000’s.

Personally, I rarely went to WG. A few acts I might see most years but all things equal I’d always choose an open air stage over a tent (in the dry anyway).

I’m intrigued by this, hoping it has some decent lights and music.

29 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Seems strange to be going to this effort for a sculpture/display only. Unless these are foundations for a stage too. 

If you look at it it’s in a circular shape . So I don’t think a stage is likely now as these will just obscure the view … will find out fairly soon I’m sure 

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

If you look at it it’s in a circular shape . So I don’t think a stage is likely now as these will just obscure the view … will find out fairly soon I’m sure 

Yeah, I'd be very surprised if there'll be live music but hopefully there will be something to give the place a bit of atmosphere.

T'was always a nice place to hang out on thursdays regardless of being able to properly hear the music from the tent, hopefully CarHenge will retain some of that.

My concern is that removing live music from this area will only put extra pressure on the other places that do and won't do much to address the over crowding issues we had last year.

On 5/5/2023 at 8:32 PM, stuie said:

It wasn't so much the installation, although that was unique at the time, it was the party and the punter interaction that made it spectacular.

11 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

Yeah, I'd be very surprised if there'll be live music but hopefully there will be something to give the place a bit of atmosphere.

T'was always a nice place to hang out on thursdays regardless of being able to properly hear the music from the tent, hopefully CarHenge will retain some of that.

My concern is that removing live music from this area will only put extra pressure on the other places that do and won't do much to address the over crowding issues we had last year.

That’s the million dollar question isn’t it ? Fingers crossed 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

You'd expect at least a bar surely? Its quite a big area 

I'd imagine it'll be very similar to how it was last year just without the WG tent so there'll be a bar and plenty of food stalls.

It'll work as an area to go for a drink, something to eat and a sit down while you're walking between Pyramid and West Holts and hopefully the cars will provide something to look at for a bit

I'm sure they know how popular the area was on Wed/Thurs, so there must be a plan more thought through than removing musical entertainment and replacing it with just art.

For a start, these guys are apparently playing Carhenge, according to their Insta.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cr_Ri35g-NO/

https://www.instagram.com/fulumusic/

So, does look like they'll be live music there. Whoever Fulu Music is, they look the right fit for a dystopian scrap metal world, lol 

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
  • Upvote 1