Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

Both Smashing Pumpkins and Weezer have some great early music and some awful stuff. As someone else said I'd happily take both if they played hits. 

Looking at recent setlists from Smashing Pumpkins - most of their set is Mellon Collie and Siamese Dream. I know Billy Corgan is a diva but who in their right mind wouldn't enjoy that?

1 hour ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

Talking heads are possibly performing on late night with Steve Colbert.

Perhaps some news of a tour will follow 

If Primavera manages to pull of something like this for main headliners:

Talking Heads

Bad Bunny/Travis Scott

The National/Pulp

SZA/Lana del Rey/Karol G 

Then I think they will be safe for ticket sales. I think that at least half of these artists will come to PS24. 

17 minutes ago, Fabrizzo said:

I think they will talk about the documentary they are presenting at the festivals, I don't think they will perform

Then they would have said their names instead of the name of the band. Like if they act in a film. If I see the band's name written, my mind thinks (or wants to think) in the band in active or coming back

14 hours ago, Quadrophobia said:

Thats not really true. Many Acts tour Europe all summer long, especially medium sized bands tend to grab both the June and August festivals. Also, in the past Canela Party and PS have shared acts, so apart from those you mentioned that played this year, none of the acts there is ruled out at PS.

The debate here has gone to a pretty wild place, with acts that are worlds apart being treated as if they were all the same, because they are "pop". Acts like Ed Sheeran would never play PS, no nod to Calvin Harris (who sucks but is close enough to the kind of pop PS endorses) will change that. Bad Bunny on the other hand would be the best fit you could get for PS, if he was anywhere near affordable. He leads a surge in Spanish-speaking music that is on the verge of becoming the worlds dominant branch of pop - and rightly so. No matter what some entitled white indie-boys (that includes me) think of him.

I think what some people here misunderstand is that its not the content of the music that matters for PS as much as its the aesthetics of the artists and how they fit into the identity of PS.

If you compare this year´s line up with some from August (Flow, Oya, Canela, Paredes, La Route du Rock, etc), you´ll see that few bands are repeated, but yes, it can happen, it´s not a rule. On the other hand, band that played this year in august are more likely to play Primavera next year (KGLW, Walkmen, Lorde, Jessie Ware, Fever Ray, EITS, etc)

About Bad Bunny, totally agree, he fits perfectly in the festival, but i think he will sell every single ticket from this day in minutes, more than Radiohead in 2016 for example.

1 hour ago, LMDS said:

Then they would have said their names instead of the name of the band. Like if they act in a film. If I see the band's name written, my mind thinks (or wants to think) in the band in active or coming back

Because 'Talking Heads' as a name is what's attributed to the Stop Making Sense marketing and will draw more attention.

I would put money on it not being a live performance.

• Upvote 1

Mitski just announced her European tour dates. Her tour starts at the end of April until May 30th. Seems like she will be doing festivals afterwards. I think she’s 100% for PS Barcelona, specially due to her new album and for not coming to Barcelona since 2017.  

Quite curious on how her placing will look like on the poster. I would say minimum 3rd line, she’s quite big now. 

• Upvote 1

What’s the prospect of getting PinkPantheress again? I know she came last year, although her performance at Primavera Madrid was cancelled. She’s going to have her debut album next month, probably Pitchfork will love it, so would be an interesting addition to the lineup. Is it normal for Primavera to repeat artists like her 2 years in a row? 

4 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

What’s the prospect of getting PinkPantheress again? I know she came last year, although her performance at Primavera Madrid was cancelled. She’s going to have her debut album next month, probably Pitchfork will love it, so would be an interesting addition to the lineup. Is it normal for Primavera to repeat artists like her 2 years in a row? 

Seldomnly happens, only one I can think of was Fred Again the two previous years, which was justified by a) him growing in size tremendously and b) the shuffles of Post-Covid.

Ofc theres those that are always there like Shellac or who appear (or used to appear) in various constellations like Bradford Cox, but originality is something PS values highly and I think it would be highly unlikely for most acts to appear two years in a row.

However, PP was supposed to play in 2022 if I remember correctly and cancelled which she made up for this year? Then there'd be a chance.

Edited by Quadrophobia
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Seldomnly happens, only one I can think of was Fred Again the two previous years, which was justified by a) him growing in size tremendously and b) the shuffles of Post-Covid.

Ofc theres those that are always there like Shellac or who appear (or used to appear) in various constellations like Bradford Cox, but originality is something PS values highly and I think it would be highly unlikely for most acts to appear two years in a row.

However, PP was supposed to play in 2022 if I remember correctly and cancelled which she made up for this year? Then there'd be a chance.

She also was one of those artists that didn’t come to PS Madrid due to the flood. Really wanted to see her, and now she’s going to have her debut album so that would mean a and fresher set. There were rumours about IceSpice coming to PS (don’t know where it came from) so would be smart to have them both the same day. But seems a bit unlikely.