Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

That Mad Cool lineup really does nothing for me. Which is a relief after vowing to never go again. I went this year and in 2022. It has some really solid sound quality but everything about the festival is corporate and lifeless. Their new site this year was an embarrassment and enough to make sure me and my friends would never go again.

Primavera is looking pretty hot right now.

I'm committing to getting a last minute ticket as Twickets is always full of tickets for well below €200 the week before. I always get the presale tickets only to have my pals find tickets for way less in May. Really cool that the Friday is selling well but yeah I can't see it selling out this year.

8 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

We have enough proof now that the pool of artists available next year is very weak.

Massive Attack, Slowdive, Mogwai, Belle & Sebastian and The Smile will play festival-shows in early June. I would have liked to see some bands from this -not so weak- pool in the line-up...

28 minutes ago, frankburns said:

Massive Attack, Slowdive, Mogwai, Belle & Sebastian and The Smile will play festival-shows in early June. I would have liked to see some bands from this -not so weak- pool in the line-up...

I'd have liked all of the above as well but I mean in general, we've seen no great lineups. Every year Primavera will miss out on a few good bands but overall I think it's a weaker pool.

6 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

I'd have liked all of the above as well but I mean in general, we've seen no great lineups. Every year Primavera will miss out on a few good bands but overall I think it's a weaker pool.

Especially in the upper brackets. There is an abundance of very bad (Pinkpop, Rock am Ring, Reading/Leeds), very mid (DTRH, BKS, Mad Cool, NOS Alive, Roskilde, Hurricane/Southside), some relatively prominsing unfinished (Northside, oya, flow, WOW) and few really good ones (Primavera, Kalorama*, APE if you can really call it a fest).

Yeah sure, I would've loved The Smile and MA. But choices were made and vis a vis pretty much every line up in Europe, Primavera is the better line up by far in terms of exclusive names, variety of genres and quality.

*I think Kalorama has also been viewed as an outlier, because they are relatively new and obviously someone is pouring in a lot of money to establish it, so budgetary constraints work diffenrently then for many established fests.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, frankburns said:

Slowdive and Belle might come and make part of Ciudad, both are very likely.

Massive Attack I'm pretty sure were considered for Primavera but were booked for BBK for some reason, idk money or some type of conflict. PS24 is probably the worst lineup in many years for my taste, but it's still the only decent one for the price out there. Many festivals are missing to announce, but from the panorama out there looks like it's gonna be a sh*t year for all the festivals, some good names here or there but nothing as consistent as Primavera. With time I start to appreciate this lineup more and more. 

5 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

Slowdive and Belle might come and make part of Ciudad, both are very likely.

Massive Attack I'm pretty sure were considered for Primavera but were booked for BBK for some reason, idk money or some type of conflict. PS24 is probably the worst lineup in many years for my taste, but it's still the only decent one for the price out there. Many festivals are missing to announce, but from the panorama out there looks like it's gonna be a sh*t year for all the festivals, some good names here or there but nothing as consistent as Primavera. With time I start to appreciate this lineup more and more. 

Love to see this! It's not perfect this year, I feel the same, but there's so much strength in depth...as always.

56 minutes ago, frankburns said:

While I totally understand, that you would have been happy to see them on the line-up, three of them played last year and for B&S it would have been the fifth time at the festival, so I do kinda get if they didn't choose to book them to keep things fresh. Massive Attack is obviously a big miss, but yeah, things like that happen every time.

• Upvote 1

Headliners in general may be weak in 2024, but it is not synonym with festivals being weak. I mean if you find that all ~500 bands active in 2024 are on the weak side, it may just be that you like older music and bands that are inactive and may remain inactive forever.

Primavera has plenty of artists that were on popular (Lana del Rey) and critical (Lankum) best album end-of-year lists.

Today's just prove that Mad Cool and Primavera are not at all alike, except the geographical distance.

Edited by emmanuel
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, chilirocker said:

Only one Spanish tour date (no Barcelona) for arguably the biggest female Spanish speaking artist around at the moment and starts the week after Primavera ends, very strange…

Why is it strange? The capacity of the Madrid stadium is 81,000.

27 minutes ago, chilirocker said:

Only one Spanish tour date (no Barcelona) for arguably the biggest female Spanish speaking artist around at the moment and starts the week after Primavera ends, very strange… 

IMG_7237.jpeg

Classic stadium tour.

(Slightly) strange that she's not playing the Olympic Stadium in BCN. Maybe will be added once Madrid sells out.

35 minutes ago, chilirocker said:

IMG_7237.jpeg

Also, she sucks. This year we have been reminded that primavera do not book acts that suck besides their life-long agreement with disclosure 

• Upvote 1

Not a huge fan, but do we think there's any chance Nicki Minaj could be a big late addition to the line-up? Not outside of Prima's genre comfort zone and she's just announced a European run with a gap on 29/05, 30/05 and 01/06 and no Spanish dates at all - https://www.nickiminajofficial.com/tour/

Possibility? Maybe if I say she's going to collab with Massive Attack, The Smile and Slowdive? Maybe Win Butler will be there?

25 minutes ago, churlie100 said:

Not a huge fan, but do we think there's any chance Nicki Minaj could be a big late addition to the line-up? Not outside of Prima's genre comfort zone and she's just announced a European run with a gap on 29/05, 30/05 and 01/06 and no Spanish dates at all - https://www.nickiminajofficial.com/tour/

Possibility? Maybe if I say she's going to collab with Massive Attack, The Smile and Slowdive? Maybe Win Butler will be there?

No, I seriously doubt it. 

There are loads of artists doing arena tours in Europe around the same time as Primavera (J Balvin, Karol G, Taylor Swift of course) but there is no reason for them to step away from their tour to play a 90 min festival slot. If they were going to be at PS, they'd already be on the lineup. 

Just now, katyaz said:

No, I seriously doubt it. 

There are loads of artists doing arena tours in Europe around the same time as Primavera (J Balvin, Karol G, Taylor Swift of course) but there is no reason for them to step away from their tour to play a 90 min festival slot. If they were going to be at PS, they'd already be on the lineup. 

Yeah, there's more chance of this forum making Arcade Fire a taboo phrase.