Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

This edition was way too strong for just top 10:

GOLDEN MEDALS:

The National (ciutat)

VAMPIRE WEEKEND (absolute winner of this edition)

Justice

Hannah Diamond

ATARASHII GAKKO!!!

SILVER MEDALS:

Maustetytöt (first set of PS24 and it stayed with me the whole week)

Barry Can't Swim

The Lemon Twigs (Parc del Forum)

Romy

Charli XCX

BRONZE MEDALS:

Voxtrot (ciutat)

Phoenix

The Last Dinner Party

Troye Sivan

Royel Otis (Parc del Forum)

SoFTT (ciutat) - what a fun way to end the fesfival

Also hard to narrow it down, but roughly in order...

- Pulp

- Ethel Cain

- Royel Otis & Lemon Twigs (back to back at Ciutat)

- Mitski (The lightning!!)

- PJ Harvey (The rain!!)

- Romy

- Lankum

- Atarashii Gakko!

- The Last Dinner Party

- The National/Vampire Weekend (both consummate performers that I respected more than loved)

5 hours ago, Gnarler said:

Book a refundable hotel and don't buy a ticket to the fest. Plenty of tickets for under €200 on Twickets this year in the weeks leading up to the festival. The only thing you can't plan for is flights. They will for sure be crazy expensive like always if you don't book early.

is twickets legit the same way ticketswap was? never used that. I live outside uk (i think is a uk website?)

2 hours ago, bobhoward said:

Hard to pick out but highlights for me I’d say we’re 

both Johnny Jewel and Desire shows

Yo La Tengo covers set

National at Razzmatazz

Pulp

Clipse

PJ Harvey

Charli 

Teki Latex closing set 

That Charli - DJ Playero - Teki Latex run was an absoluty perfect closer

Aside from that my favourites were The National (Ciutat), Voxtrot as my Forum opener, Beth Gibbons, Justice, Mannequin Pussy, 070 Shake and Disclosure. Loved SZA too, but it could not beat that show of hers that I saw in London last year.

Bummer Atarashi Gakko ended 10min earlier, only caught the last song; and that I missed Romy.

Also great this year: the flawless organisation. Best festival status confirmed and I’m already very much looking forward to 2025

• Like 1

is it doable to find free canc hotels near poblenou at max 200euro/night? Is the budget too low? is it too early to book 1 year in advance? 

never seen any of these hotels going under 1500/1400 euro for 4 nights tbh. But I am tired of airbnb-induced anxiety. 

Still recovering...

My Highlights: Romy, L'Imperatrice, Blonde Redhead, 070 Shake, Barry Can't Swim, Roisin Murphy, Eartheater & The National in the Razz. 

What a good festival this was! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

is it doable to find free canc hotels near poblenou at max 200euro/night? Is the budget too low? is it too early to book 1 year in advance? 

never seen any of these hotels going under 1500/1400 euro for 4 nights tbh. But I am tired of airbnb-induced anxiety. 

The Ibis near Glories is around that price.  Book via Accor hotels and the member rate. 

• Upvote 1

Been back at my desk for 90 mins and needed a breather (I am that knackered) after coming into the office straight from delayed Rome flight after seeing The National again in Milan/ Rome (first ever gigs in Italy - what a terrible venue in Milan)...

Anyway on topic.. I think the year was broadly as I expected (a few good acts but nowhere near the depth I wanted). Only found three acts I enjoyed walking around (Mannequin Pussy, Amyl and the.., some Spanish surf-pop act) and lots that were truly awful (the guy on Santander before Lana, Yo La Tengo). I don't like 'club' music confirmed x1000 after staying for Justice and Disclosure with a mate. Didn't queue up at a bar once. 

Pulp was the absolute highlight, I saw them six times last year and started to get a bit bored of a static setlist - that was incredible though - the first 45 minutes was arguably the best start to a set I've seen.

I wish Lana would open up about whatever her problems are - turning up 25 mins late and then blaming the festival for curfew is not on. The sound from Santander side was atrocious until literally the last handful of songs. It's hard to judge that set but she seems to have some problems she needs to work on if she wants to be top biller at a festival - her backing band did all the heavy work whilst she nonchalantly sung half-arsed - then the fangirl love-in at the end was a bit too much for me (being kind).. 

Before I went to Barcelona I said - I think this will be my last time, I've been about ten times and don't need to again - I take that all back. What a great place (even without super heat). Loved walking around the City before and after The National at The Razz which was great (Matt's voice not the best). 

I was hoping to bring my kids next year but those dates might not be half-term so will have to see. I will maybe look for a cheap room as they got super pricey this year. 

• Like 2

Top 10. Pulp, Faye Webster, Atarashii Gakko, Rita Vian, SZA, A.G. Cook, Mitski (apart from all that faffing about with a chair), Balming Tiger, Billy Woods, Charli XCX. Bonus mentions to Sophia Chaplau, Tercer Sol and Royel Otis for all their 'I can't believe we are here and doing this' looks - very refreshing. Very, very good as always. Huge thank you to all involved in making it happen!

My third year running at Primavera and it was as beautiful as always (if anything getting better, the more you know the site and the organisation seems well improved since ‘22). My top 10:

1. Justice

2. Barry Can’t Swim

3. Charli xcx

4. Lankum (the Auditori really was special for them)

5. Pulp

6. Romy

7. Obongjayer

8. Lanark Artefax

9. Freddie Gibbs Madlib

10. Vampire Weekend 

The first day was super Mordor heavy for me, but only went there once the other 2 days. A nice change. Hope to be back next year once again

5 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

I would say maybe closer to 250-350 for those four nights. 200€ would be difficult. I've stayed in airbnbs every time I've gone but I think I'll choose a hotel next time. Too many small issues with every airbnb (nothing major but after spending 5 days in one, it adds up) and I don't think it's worth the price anymore. Plus anxiety over cancellations! 

I don't know who flies with easyjet but you can already book flights for that week and they are quite cheap (yeah it's easyjet I know ofc it must be cheap) 

Edited by katyaz

I still havent recovered from an amazing few days of music

Hard to put a list together but

1. Model Actriz (Cuitat) - if you were there then you know what you saw was special. I was a broken man by 00:40 on Monday morning and my god that set was electric

2. Pulp - Knew it would be special, didnt know they would steal Thursdays crown from Justice

3. The National (Cuitat) Never thought I'd have Matt singing six inches away straight into my face (I'm claiming duet)

4. Lankum - just beautiful

5. Justice - brilliant, but didnt feel they have stepped up at all in terms of their show since the last tour

6. Ethel Cain 

7. Romy 

8. Arab Strap (not ideal in the sun tho)

9. The National - Forum

10. Lana - yeah she was late but as the set went on it really got good (Ocean Blvd was a highlight)

Edited by RifleSmile

Okay now I'm sat here stewing in a post-festival flu missing the weekend more than usual, it's a nice excuse to review. I like the gold/silver/bronze system so let's try that

🥇 GOLD

- Troye Sivan's live show. Wow. He hasn't played much in the past 5 years and seeing that latest album come alive on stage was everything I wanted it to be and more. Also seeing Tosh Peterson slap the living crap out of the drums was a great surprise. Big fan of his

- Deftones was supposed to be special and it was. Get more heavy music on big stages again at Primavera

- Justice are my favourite act playing at my favourite festival. Was always going to be amazing and was definitely the best sound I heard all weekend. Was most wrecked at this point so can't remember the specific moments but maybe that's a good thing.

- HiTech was so much fun. I was trying to go home after Disclosure but friends convinced me to stay and I'm so glad they did. Wild show.

- Never queued more than 1 second for a drink. Love that

🥈 SILVER

- So happy i came in early on the Saturday for The Lemon Twigs. Was worried it'd fall flat on the main stage but no, it was perfect.

- Jessica Pratt has a voice like I've never heard before and hearing it in the Auditori was an honour.

- Barry Can't Swim really shocked me. I'd heard lots of hype but couldn't really get into the tunes I'd listened to. The live show was so much fun I can definitely see myself heading to his tour later this year.

- The Messthetics. Tbh this whole night in Apolo 2 could be on here but wow that opening show was everything I want from live jazz. Absolute chaos held together by some of the tightest musicians I've ever heard.

- Amyl have taken such a massive leap since their last show at Primavera. Loved the new songs and thought they did well despite some shaky sound from where I stood.

- Shabaka take a bow. Didn't know you were allowed to do things like that to a flute. What a monster musician.

🥉 BRONZE

- SZA sounded great but playing 25 songs in 75 mins is a BAD thing. If I wanted that I'd listen to the recorded versions. A show designed for different kinds of audiences I think.

- Charli was a massive vibe but I thought the setlist stunk. Not interested in the new tunes outside of Von Dutch and missing songs from Crash was a weird move. I like that she pulled some deeper cuts like Part For You and Track 10 but to then finish with I Love It seemed totally disloyal to her new party era. Seen her 10+ times and thought she'd let it die by now. I also thought her previous tour had a way more impressive live show with the staging and dancers. Maybe this era just isn't for me.

- Jai Paul sounded great by the end of his set but bad sound kind of killed the hype during the first few songs.

- I was SO excited for Atarashii Gakko but I thought their set was a bit dead. Jumping around to a backing track isn't a fair way to put it but after seeing so much amazing music and standing at the front where everyone was stood still that's how it felt. I ended up leaving after 4/5 songs.

- I hate how much the rain got to me. I did not prepare well and stood there cold and wet for too long. Won't let that happen again

This was my 6th Primavera and here's where I'd put it in the standings.

2019>2023>2022>2024>2017>2018

I live 20 mins walk away so will 1000% be there next year. I thought it was really well run but they need to sort out the queues for good dance music and they let the sound slip on some of the stages a bit too.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/4/2024 at 2:30 PM, Ecclestone82 said:

Been back at my desk for 90 mins and needed a breather (I am that knackered) after coming into the office straight from delayed Rome flight after seeing The National again in Milan/ Rome (first ever gigs in Italy - what a terrible venue in Milan)...

Anyway on topic.. I think the year was broadly as I expected (a few good acts but nowhere near the depth I wanted). Only found three acts I enjoyed walking around (Mannequin Pussy, Amyl and the.., some Spanish surf-pop act) and lots that were truly awful (the guy on Santander before Lana, Yo La Tengo). I don't like 'club' music confirmed x1000 after staying for Justice and Disclosure with a mate. Didn't queue up at a bar once. 

Pulp was the absolute highlight, I saw them six times last year and started to get a bit bored of a static setlist - that was incredible though - the first 45 minutes was arguably the best start to a set I've seen.

I wish Lana would open up about whatever her problems are - turning up 25 mins late and then blaming the festival for curfew is not on. The sound from Santander side was atrocious until literally the last handful of songs. It's hard to judge that set but she seems to have some problems she needs to work on if she wants to be top biller at a festival - her backing band did all the heavy work whilst she nonchalantly sung half-arsed - then the fangirl love-in at the end was a bit too much for me (being kind).. 

Before I went to Barcelona I said - I think this will be my last time, I've been about ten times and don't need to again - I take that all back. What a great place (even without super heat). Loved walking around the City before and after The National at The Razz which was great (Matt's voice not the best). 

I was hoping to bring my kids next year but those dates might not be half-term so will have to see. I will maybe look for a cheap room as they got super pricey this year. 

I really don't think it was the National's first concert in Italy...

1 hour ago, Quadrophobia said:

Man I really hope for a line up without the likes of Lana and SZA, not because I dont like them but because those reddit Americans need to stay home. Exchanging their best drug stories now...

Which thread, if you don't mind sharing?

First day back at work after Primavera and have had time to ruminate on the experience. 

The Festival:

The best Festival in Europe for sure but the 2022,2023 editions were much better than this one.

I reckon the organisers did their conkers this year. The place felt empty at times....(which was handy for beer/mobility).

Getting a beer was super easy but the toilets could still do with an uplift in numbers.

Shuttle bus was perfect. 2 Euro is fair. Good system.

Cupra is the best stage. The Amazon/Pull and Bear area does nothing for me.....a bit of a turn-off and a grim grotty feel.

The sound desk and bars dividing the main stages are a real eyesore. You have to stand far out to the right of Santander or far out to left of Estrella Damm to get them out of your eye line. The one way entry system is also a pain in the ass when you are running from somewhere else to catch an act in Mordor. I think its a worse bottleneck than just letting people come and go.

The Music:

My expectations were low for this year and unfortunately they were met. The lineup was wafer thin.

Disclosure, Justice, Vampire Weekend and the National were highlights although im disappointed that the National basically did the same set twice between the midweek show and the headline slot. Expected something more novel.

I have rewatched Disclosure and Justice on YouTube and they were class upon rewatch also.

Justice was an attack on the senses. A really unique experience.

Pulp were decent but are a few songs light of a proper sing along setlist.

The highs were high (disco 2000, common people) and the lows very low. Stop start. Jarvis is a great front man.

SZA. Over rated and ill-befitting of a headline slot. Karaoke'd and mangled her own songs.

PJ Harvey. Great artist but it's a bit too dour at times. Especially that high on the bill. Got bored. The female Nick Cave.

Lana Del Rey:

I felt like I have nothing in common with the fans that turned up for this show. A sea of mobile phones from start to finish, footage of the crowd in floods of tears as if the Beatles had reformed. I don't get the adulation. She is not remarkable looking, cant dance and a lot of her songs are slow tempo. And I say that as someone who listens to her stuff from time to time.

The hype is simply not commensurate with the performance provided. She treated the audience with contempt by being late again, miming for some songs and letting backing singers do the heavy lifting during others.

Amazing what marketing can do after witnessing the re-branding job they done on her from her Lizzy Grant days.

A real cult of personality that herself and Taylor Swift seem to have tapped in to.

No wonder Carles from hipster runoff was so vexed by her!

Atarashii Gakko:

Music for children, deaf people and the Eurovision Song Contest.

Back to Sonar next week to see Air (who should have been at Primavera)

Best City and Festival in Europe...Bring on 2025!!!!

Edited by Drums Please Fab

5 hours ago, Quadrophobia said:

Man I really hope for a line up without the likes of Lana and SZA, not because I dont like them but because those reddit Americans need to stay home. Exchanging their best drug stories now...

I was surprised by how many folks from the USA were there. Must cost them a fortune.

1 hour ago, Drums Please Fab said:

I was surprised by how many folks from the USA were there. Must cost them a fortune.

USD salaries are way higher plus cable is strong in their favour (and USD festivals cost about double for entry and drinks/food).

Edited by xxialac