Football 2023/24

charlierc

4 hours ago, The Nal said:

So how long before the TV deals are done for the Saudi league? Youtube highlight viewing figures are off the charts.

Won't be long they want to imitate the prems success.

4 hours ago, The Nal said:

So how long before the TV deals are done for the Saudi league? Youtube highlight viewing figures are off the charts.

Wonder what their stance will be on banned advertising currently applying to the FPL etc should they get a TV deal.

While I don’t see Saudi being too big on allowing alcohol sponsorship I can imagine them being very open to betting companies as sponsors.

Would our advertising laws ban their ability to broadcast here?

Personally I wouldn’t complain if a lot of the Premier league money goes to Saudi. They can attract all the plastic fans and hydrocarbon funded clubs they want. They may attract an occasional big player nearing retirement but I don’t see enough players wanting to go there to play to establish a proper league. 

It may get rid of some of the corruption affecting the European game if the money chasers head to the desert. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Wonder what their stance will be on banned advertising currently applying to the FPL etc should they get a TV deal.

While I don’t see Saudi being too big on allowing alcohol sponsorship I can imagine them being very open to betting companies as sponsors.

They do UFC and WWE etc so don't see why they can't do footie.

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

They may attract an occasional big player nearing retirement but I don’t see enough players wanting to go there to play to establish a proper league. 

Look at the players they've signed just in 2023. Insane. A lot of them with a few years left at their peak.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12920431/summer-transfer-window-2023-who-has-signed-for-saudia-arabia-clubs-roberto-firmino-ruben-neves-karim-benzema-and-more

4 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Well that was enjoyable,  roll on Sunday

Might be a tad difficult for me to get to this final having had such a ball of a time seeing them win the Euro's final at Wembley last summer.

It's a great development for women's football tbf that the national team has suddenly become so successful, and that they haven't just waltzed their way to the final. The standard of both the games and England's opponents in this World Cup looks at such a high level.

Spain on Sunday will likewise be a difficult one. A test, no doubt, but a rewarding one.

Edited by charlierc

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Think at this point in the development of football that such a move would be like trying to turn a chicken nugget back into a chicken.

nice phrase. 🙂 

The idea of releasing the news via a pre recorded video is pure cowardice. The idea that they are considering their duty of care to the player is also laughable. If he was a squad player with little commercial value, he would already be out of the door.

I struggle to see why the investigation has taken so long. Unless Greenwood has a good excuse for the photos and audio, it seems quite clear cut to me.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

The idea of releasing the news via a pre recorded video is pure cowardice. The idea that they are considering their duty of care to the player is also laughable. If he was a squad player with little commercial value, he would already be out of the door.

"too horrible for man utd", doesn't sell as well as as "played"for manutd" (what they usually do with the youngsters they want to ship out).

(give them a few games to increase the price)

Edited by Neil

On 8/15/2023 at 3:13 PM, The Nal said:

Neymar gone to Saudi. Still in his prime. Brazils all time joint leading scorer (with Pele). Apparently being paid to post positive things on Instagram about the country. Footie is broken.

500k per post according to this. Amongst other things:

23 hours ago, The Nal said:

Difficult to believe but there are suggestions on twitter Saudi Arabia are going to bung UEFA a few quid to allow Saudi teams to play in the champions league. If that happens you would think they could pull the money they put into the premier league as it would allow the Saudi league to over take us.

10 hours ago, lost said:

Difficult to believe but there are suggestions on twitter Saudi Arabia are going to bung UEFA a few quid to allow Saudi teams to play in the champions league. If that happens you would think they could pull the money they put into the premier league as it would allow the Saudi league to over take us.

Another way for football to jump the shark eh?

On 8/15/2023 at 9:24 PM, squirrelarmy said:

In other news, if you want to see a textbook example on how to destroy a football club just look at what the 49ers are doing to Leeds. 3rd game of the season coming up and we probably won’t have enough players to fill the bench. 

Signings aren’t really happening and players leaving the club in droves for peanuts. 

Talking of Leeds signings, given Ilian Meslier looked last season like a goalkeeper out of confidence, and the club signed a decent Championship-level goalkeeper in Karl Darlow, is it fair for me to be surprised that Meslier is still getting the gloves?

18 hours ago, charlierc said:

Talking of Leeds signings, given Ilian Meslier looked last season like a goalkeeper out of confidence, and the club signed a decent Championship-level goalkeeper in Karl Darlow, is it fair for me to be surprised that Meslier is still getting the gloves?

I was also surprised. He does seem to be getting his form back though, pulled off a couple of great saves last night and the goal conceded wasn’t his fault. VAR would have disallowed it instantly if it was in the championship. 

He does seem to be more cautious getting rid of the ball. We were pushing hard for the 3 points at the end and the crowd were screaming for him to boot it up field while we had the pressure on WBA.