Football 2023/24

charlierc

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

You just felt the tournament was there for England to win, the draw opened up, USA eliminated early. Then just like the men’s team they lost against the first decent team they played against. 

You look at the age profile of their squad and think they should be contenders in 4 years time.

I don't think that was the case. Nigeria played better than England and were unlucky to lose the penalties, while the Australia game was absolutely one they could've lost - home advantage, a brilliant player in Sam Kerr, needed a substitute or two to regrasp control.

This one imo got away from them in a different way. It felt like, for all the internal strife in the Spanish team with them hating their manager and leaving several stars at home, they just got the tactical requirements spot on, and I think the half-time changes didn't work as intended.

Maybe it was just everything running out at once. Losing Beth Mead, Leah Williamson and Fran Kirby to injuries wouldn't help when they were all so important last year, plus there'd been questions about if England's attack were doing enough all tournament (save perhaps for demolishing China and the double to win against the Aussies).

41 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I don't think that was the case. Nigeria played better than England and were unlucky to lose the penalties, while the Australia game was absolutely one they could've lost - home advantage, a brilliant player in Sam Kerr, needed a substitute or two to regrasp control.

This one imo got away from them in a different way. It felt like, for all the internal strife in the Spanish team with them hating their manager and leaving several stars at home, they just got the tactical requirements spot on, and I think the half-time changes didn't work as intended.

Maybe it was just everything running out at once. Losing Beth Mead, Leah Williamson and Fran Kirby to injuries wouldn't help when they were all so important last year, plus there'd been questions about if England's attack were doing enough all tournament (save perhaps for demolishing China and the double to win against the Aussies).

The best team England beat were ranked 10th in the world. I think if they had been on the other half of the draw they could have lost earlier to 3 or 4 teams. I just felt it was a flat performance and their best players didn’t turn up.

As you say they were without players, but so were Spain. In some ways it reminded me of the 2006 World Cup where the France squad effectively managed themselves.

14 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

s you say they were without players, but so were Spain. In some ways it reminded me of the 2006 World Cup where the France squad effectively managed themselves.

that was England men in 1990 who, its widely reported sidelined Bobby Robson.

Statement

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/man-utd-official-club-statement-on-mason-greenwood-21-august-2023

”Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged. That said, as Mason publicly acknowledges today, he has made mistakes which he is taking responsibility for.”

And Richard Arnold with a lengthy statement.

Edited by The Nal

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Statement

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/man-utd-official-club-statement-on-mason-greenwood-21-august-2023

”Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged. That said, as Mason publicly acknowledges today, he has made mistakes which he is taking responsibility for.”

And Richard Arnold with a lengthy statement.

Very 1984 statement.... ignore what you heard, trust us when we say didn't do it lol

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Very 1984 statement.... ignore what you heard, trust us when we say didn't do it lol

Well technically, legally, he didn't do it *wink wink*

Legally he was never convicted. Even though theres the audio and pics of her with bruises.

She got back together with him and withdrew the complaint so, not guilty. Legally.

32 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It’s a statement written by lawyers who will have spent hours to make sure the wording covers them in the best way possible.

Oh its a very lawyered up statement. Its one step away from saying ' we wanted him back but the woke mob wouldn't let us'

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Oh its a very lawyered up statement. Its one step away from saying ' we wanted him back but the woke mob wouldn't let us'

I don’t think that’s it. I think it’s a negotiated statement that has been agreed between the Man Utd lawyers and Greenwood’s legal team. It’s probably worth doing to move on. 

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

A lot of people did Tweet feeling it's basically that they were gonna bring him back until they got an almighty backlash. Not that I can feasibly see how easy it is for any other Premier League club to be a return destination when everyone else is likely going to be as hostile to him playing for them as a majority of Manchester United fans.

It is quite something for there to be a consensus they did the right thing the wrong way.

16 minutes ago, charlierc said:

A lot of people did Tweet feeling it's basically that they were gonna bring him back until they got an almighty backlash. Not that I can feasibly see how easy it is for any other Premier League club to be a return destination when everyone else is likely going to be as hostile to him playing for them as a majority of Manchester United fans.

It is quite something for there to be a consensus they did the right thing the wrong way.

It’s pretty clear they wanted him back, I always thought that was difficult. I guess they could have messed it up more by announcing it. They may feel floating the idea was worth it, not convinced there will be significant reputation damage to the club now.

6 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

It’s pretty clear they wanted him back, I always thought that was difficult. I guess they could have messed it up more by announcing it. They may feel floating the idea was worth it, not convinced there will be significant reputation damage to the club now.

Oh neville is having a massive go tonight

It's bad for Utds rep for sure but they've stemmed rhe bleeding by telling him to get lost

7 hours ago, zahidf said:

Oh neville is having a massive go tonight

It's bad for Utds rep for sure but they've stemmed rhe bleeding by telling him to get lost

I think it’s slightly bad, but won’t have any impact on the metrics they care about. Won’t cost sponsorship, fans or players. I think people will quickly move on.

On 8/21/2023 at 7:19 PM, pink_triangle said:

There's certainly been a bit of reputation damage given the criticism people have had for club figures - not least Richard Arnold. How significant it will be, I guess we'll see.

It may also be easier said than done to offload Greenwood given it's difficult to know who would want to take on the baggage from bringing him on. It's hard to imagine any Premier League club doing it, for instance.

7 hours ago, charlierc said:

There's certainly been a bit of reputation damage given the criticism people have had for club figures - not least Richard Arnold. How significant it will be, I guess we'll see.

It may also be easier said than done to offload Greenwood given it's difficult to know who would want to take on the baggage from bringing him on. It's hard to imagine any Premier League club doing it, for instance.

United actually handled it well initially, with the suspension. Whilst at Arsenal Partey is still playing. 

On 8/23/2023 at 10:15 AM, charlierc said:

utd sold on that other troubled kid just a few years ago, forget his name.(memory tells me west ham are in the mix with that other kid, i might be wrong!)