Football 2023/24

charlierc

3 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I'm aware that this often can be the case that it can be hard to play against ten, and clearly Liverpool had practice thanks to the later-rescinded red card shown to Alexis Mac Allister against Bournemouth the previous weekend, in a game they still won.

Equally, I don't think we were ambitious enough against ten. Alexander-Arnold had an awful first half, yet in the second we just didn't keep poking at that sore spot, plus obviously our defending for both of Nunez's goals left a lot to be desired. Although naturally, if Alisson doesn't pull off a wonder-save to keep out Almiron just after the van Dijk red, they probably aren't getting back into it.

Gary Nev summed it up, if liverpool's front players were playing for Newcastle they would of won comfortably.

Just now, charlierc said:

But it's not a fake firestorm anymore is it? Rubiales, by accounts from people in the Spanish press and familiarity with their FA, has been a scandal waiting to happen for a while. Doing that in such a public forum was only ever going to invite the kind of things we're seeing, whether its FIFA and the Spanish government itself opening investigations, FIFA suspending Rubiales in a move that also means he can't do his other work for UEFA.

It may be going on and on but this cannot be brushed aside as little more than a few thousand people on Twitter whining about nothing, and imo, it's a good thing its not.

Which has been driven by social media.

We don't agree on this one, so we are going round in circles. 

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

"Just a social media storm"

I doubt it'd come to that UEFA throwing Spanish teams out of the Champions League and others in practice, not least give the money and viewing figures Real Madrid and Barcelona bring to them. It's a big shitshow, but feels like that's a side-show to the main problems.

Much as I'm aware this isn't even the first mess coming out of Spanish football this year after the extreme racist abuse Vinicius got in Valencia back in May leading to a week of some pretty strong condemnation.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I doubt it'd come to that UEFA throwing Spanish teams out of the Champions League and others in practice, not least give the money and viewing figures Real Madrid and Barcelona bring to them. It's a big shitshow, but feels like that's a side-show to the main problems.

Much as I'm aware this isn't even the first mess coming out of Spanish football this year after the extreme racist abuse Vinicius got in Valencia back in May leading to a week of some pretty strong condemnation.

It's the Spanish FA who want the Spanish teams kicked out, if they insist on punishing Rubiales

Sounds like it's a long history in the Spanish system

They really love Rubiale

Edited by zahidf

6 hours ago, zahidf said:

It's the Spanish FA who want the Spanish teams kicked out, if they insist on punishing Rubiales

Sounds like it's a long history in the Spanish system

They really love Rubiale

This seems to be moving quickly throughout the day, given the Spanish FA also announced plans to investigate him under a sexual violence protocol, and prosecutors have also opened a case into his conduct. It's been a wild week. Really if Rubiales had just admitted he did the wrong thing on Monday, it's hard to think this would be the story it's become.

Clearly there's a case here where this is where the more interesting parts of the football is what's off the pitch, given it seems like a lot of dubious characters seem involved. At the very least, it'd make for a half-decent HBO/Netflix boxset drama.

(I just started watching The Dropout and Dopesick, hence why that might have come to mind)

2 hours ago, thetime said:

Nunes on strike, footballers are twats.

Same as it ever was. Yohan Cabaye went on strike at Newcastle in 2013 to try and force through a move to Arsenal, then backed down when Arsenal signed Ozil instead and they apparently said on a phone call "You're asking too much for someone we only want as a back-up"

17 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Same as it ever was. Yohan Cabaye went on strike at Newcastle in 2013 to try and force through a move to Arsenal, then backed down when Arsenal signed Ozil instead and they apparently said on a phone call "You're asking too much for someone we only want as a back-up"

Yeah footballers have always been mercenaries, no time for most of them.

But then you gets gems like Lou Macari and Juan Mata. 

11 hours ago, lost said:

Think they'll stick with Dyche (or at least should) constantly changing manager doesn't fix the fundamental issue of the owner being unable to get money into the club due to the war in Ukraine. Just look at Moyes at Sunderland, sometimes a decent prem manager can't make a difference when there is so much sh*t going on in the background.

They've also still got a hearing in October and possible points deduction.

must have got some money in cos they've started work on the new stadium .

19 minutes ago, zahidf said:

oh as in its not a major thing, just a few people on twitter moaning according to some people on here. 

Probably not much like you say. Matey needs to resign so things can move on

6 hours ago, Neil said:

Probably not much like you say. Matey needs to resign so things can move on

The whole thing has got out of hand really, and just makes the Spanish FA look incredibly ridiculous. Rubiales staying on is just hurting Spanish football the longer he refuses to go of his own accord given its tricky for them to outright fire him.

That idea of asking UEFA to throw them out feels like it was somebody high up in the Spanish FA doing a "f**k you" to Barcelona and Sevilla for doing public protests against Rubiales, although I'm guessing that was a long shot given Champions League draw this week and it would've been a bit last minute to find replacements for the Spanish clubs in it. Plus UEFA like money and there's lots of money in televising Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Edited by charlierc

13 minutes ago, charlierc said:

The whole thing has got out of hand really, and just makes the Spanish FA look incredibly ridiculous. Rubiales staying on is just hurting Spanish football the longer he refuses to go of his own accord given its tricky for them to outright fire him.

That idea of asking UEFA to throw them out feels like it was somebody high up in the Spanish FA doing a "f**k you" to Barcelona and Sevilla for doing public protests against Rubiales, although I'm guessing that was a long shot given Champions League draw this week and it would've been a bit last minute to find replacements for the Spanish clubs in it. Plus UEFA like money and there's lots of money in televising Real Madrid and Barcelona.

European league will probably be mentioned again. 

Today was the first time in nearly 20 years I have watched 2 premiership teams play each other live. Unfortunately it was Forest v Burnley and what a terrible game it was. So bad that a game that looked  destined for 0-0 from the first kick somehow found a goal to deprive some excitement of a penalty shootout. Both teams looked like they will struggle to me.