Football 2023/24

charlierc

On 9/11/2023 at 7:38 PM, Neil said:

pogba tested positive for doping, wonder if we'll get all the same guff as when rio tested positive.

Well, under the rules, Pogba needed to conduct a second test and the second test also came back positive...

I mean, I don't know where this will end up, but it's not looking great.

19 hours ago, Skip997 said:

New VAR protocol for this weekends games according to the guardian:

But of course it was all about Liverpool and never meant to improve things for all teams.

Well, it's a new round of Premier League fixtures ready to go. Guess we'll see if there's anything of a similar magnitude f**ked up this time around, enough to cause long circular arguments for time on end. Even moreso given next weekend is internationals.

I did enjoy the contrast that the infamous goal came from the refs rushing their checks, meaning we reached a consensus that patience should be shown to get the right result, then when Newcastle's second against PSG on Wednesday had to be diligently assessed for both a possible handball and offside (ultimately being neither of those two) and it needing 3 minutes to verify, there was talk it was too slow. There's probably a happy medium somewhere.

Clearly we don't need VAR to have referees making odd calls when you can get a yellow card for taking slightly too long for a free-kick. Apparently this ref did similar in the Arsenal-Liverpool game last weekend so... must be a thing about being that aggressive with time-wasting.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Who are Liverpool fans going to blame for that goal? Can't be their own team's fault.

Apparently Brighton fans have responded to not getting a penalty by chanting "We want a replay, we want a replay"

Well at least people can still laugh at the madness of it. Or at least be semi-serious

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Who are Liverpool fans going to blame for that goal? Can't be their own team's fault.

Do you think it should have been a red card for the Brighton player who gave away the penalty? Just the way it goes sometimes but can’t figure out how it’s not 

Perhaps the main thing in the PL football this weekend is sympathy for Chris Basham. That injury he suffered in the Fulham-Sheffield United game is one of the worst football-induced injuries I've seen footage of in a very long time, to say nothing of needing well over 10 minutes of on-pitch treatment and an ambulance to come onto the pitch to take him straight to hospital, and at age 35, you have to wonder if that might be if he'll ever be able to play pro football again.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Well done arsenal.

Just wondering what people here think of when they hear Brentford?

The only interesting thing about Brentford ended when they left Griffin Park. And yep, I did go to all four on both of my trips there! 

27 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

The only interesting thing about Brentford ended when they left Griffin Park. And yep, I did go to all four on both of my trips there! 

maybe its just my age but i can't hear Brentford without hearing "Brentford nylons".

3 hours ago, #1SzigetFan said:

Kovacic receives just a yellow despite he had nothing to do with the ball, meanwhile Curtis Jones received a straight red for a misfortune last week. 🙃 EPL refs are a joke.

West Ham fans think Bruno Guimaraes got away with something similar during Newcastle's game at West Ham earlier. Consistency eh?

5 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Do you think it should have been a red card for the Brighton player who gave away the penalty? Just the way it goes sometimes but can’t figure out how it’s not 

Just had a look and honestly, no. Absolutely a penalty and I'm surprised it wasn't a yellow card for Gross, but I don't think it was enough to get sent off.

54 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

no ... the officiating is terrible just like the red cad incident with Man City surely people can agree that whoever they support 

Of course they won't. People don't care about the game being officiated properly.

It's all tribal bollocks, the game is a farce and all people want to do is make pathetic comments about Klopp wanting replays.

If you could all get your heads out of your arses (@Crazyfool01 excepted) and come together over this then just maybe we might be able to watch a game won and lost on merit, not on the wims of at best incompetent refs.

Edited by Skip997