Football 2023/24

charlierc

On 11/5/2023 at 4:10 PM, thetime said:

Arteta and klopps reactions are quite embarrassing. Dodgy decisions, but it happens. 

Get over it.

The thing is with VAR there will still be 50/50 ish decisions that will have to go one way or the other.

Class from Ange tonight

"You have to accept the referee's decision, that is how I grew up. This constant erosion of the referee's authority is where the game is going to get - they are not going to have any authority. We are going to be under the control of someone with a tv screen a few miles away. The decision is the decision. In 26 years I have had plenty of bad decisions, I have had plenty fall in my favour. It is what it is."

16 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I'm fearing a backlash right now, particularly with our injuries. We're absolutely f**ked if Gordon and Almiron get tired in this upcoming stint of games.

It's certainly a building problem. All of Targett, Burn and Murphy are going to be out until after Christmas with injuries picked up this week, which is also the earliest we'll see Botman and Barnes return, plus Tonali's actions means he's not playing for the rest of the season. Isak looks like he could return very soon, but we are at the point of having to play out-of-position players or kids, as happened with European campaigns in 2006/07 and 2012/13.

And obviously all this with a big game tonight against Dortmund in the Champs League and then needing to keep up momentum after being 7 unbeaten in the PL. Bournemouth away at the weekend certainly looks like a simpler game on paper, if naturally the kind that might trip us up.

16 hours ago, Neil said:

soon we'll have ai making the decisions.

The Champions League is following the World Cup in having semi-automatic offside. Premier League might well have to follow after the backlash from Spurs-Liverpool.

55 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Anyone watch Spurs v Chelsea live? Sounded like a magnificently crazy game with quite a lot going on.

Yes! never enjoyed a 1-4 home defeat before to be honest, and i'm sure there's lots of boringly efficient idiots who think it was dreadful, but i'm really happy we gave it a go. Yeah we got caught on the break and the scoreline looked a bit flattering, but at least we didnt just retreat into our shell.

Under Conte and Mourinho we'd have dropped the whole team back and lost 4 or 5-1 anyways, the difference this time was the crazy ten minute spell where Chelsea went 2-1 up and then we looked by far the better team - kept the ball well, created chances, should've equalised a couple of times. That really shouldn't be possible with nine men against a billion quid. 

We gave it a bash and didnt die wondering, and for that i'm strangely chuffed 😄 if football is supposed to be entertainment instead of metronomic perfection and boredom, then i support the right club for me 

7 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Yes! never enjoyed a 1-4 home defeat before to be honest, and i'm sure there's lots of boringly efficient idiots who think it was dreadful, but i'm really happy we gave it a go. Yeah we got caught on the break and the scoreline looked a bit flattering, but at least we didnt just retreat into our shell.

Under Conte and Mourinho we'd have dropped the whole team back and lost 4 or 5-1 anyways, the difference this time was the crazy ten minute spell where Chelsea went 2-1 up and then we looked by far the better team - kept the ball well, created chances, should've equalised a couple of times. That really shouldn't be possible with nine men against a billion quid. 

We gave it a bash and didnt die wondering, and for that i'm strangely chuffed 😄 if football is supposed to be entertainment instead of metronomic perfection and boredom, then i support the right club for me 

The way you played could have got a 2-2 draw if Son had taken that chance. I thought it was a good team performance, but felt the red cards were really avoidable.

On 11/8/2023 at 11:31 AM, Skip997 said:

Extremely "dodgy"!

Well done Arteta and Klopp

Time for some more PL managers to get involved.

Klopp and Arteta crying doesn't really have much response, as it's pretty the norm how they manage. 

Even last night, klopp meaning about the positioning of the post natch press conference. 

What it needs is a manager who doesn't tend to kick off, to have a bigger impact. 

Edited by thetime

On 11/8/2023 at 11:32 AM, Skip997 said:

Only way to go IMO.

Get rid of conscious/sub-conscious bias. 

Its worse now than ever. And added to the fact, is now the games are way too long. 

If theyre going to piss about with VAR, then cut the game to 80 minutes. It'll still last 90+ mins with VAR.

Extremely "dodgy"!

Except a PL panel said it was okay to give the goal, which was the main thing that pissed off Arteta last weekend, and there wasn't a consensus among the pundits. I don't think it was as bad a call as, say, that Liverpool goal at Spurs, or several penalties given against Wolves this season.

There were two missed red cards in that Newcastle-Arsenal game, so I'm not saying the ref was flawless, but the main goal is not really worth all the people grasping for the easy way out and saying referees are being paid to f**k over teams to order. Or at the very least, are doing so without the evidence to back it up.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, thetime said:

Newcastle fans losing it after a couple of defeats, questioning trippier.

Head wobble time one thinks, to where Newcastle were 2 years ago. 

It was one fan who has since written on social media that they shouldn't have done that. I don't really know what they were trying to achieve either.

Yesterday was a game that felt like it was coming tbh. We went into this week missing the injured Isak, Botman, Barnes, Murphy, Anderson, Burn, Targett and Manquillo, Wilson got injured in Dortmund and is likely gonna be out for a while, Bruno G got a 5 yellows ban, Tonali's out for yonks through his own misbehaviour, and then yesterday, Almiron does his hamstring, Schar & Longstaff were playing on after bad looking knocks and our best hope at game-changing subs were an 18 year old making his debut and Matt Ritchie, who I forgot we still had on our books. Plus Bournemouth were pretty good - sometimes you've just got to accept the better side won.

Basically gotta spend the next 2 weeks hoping the physios perform a miracle.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

It was one fan who has since written on social media that they shouldn't have done that. I don't really know what they were trying to achieve either.

Yesterday was a game that felt like it was coming tbh. We went into this week missing the injured Isak, Botman, Barnes, Murphy, Anderson, Burn, Targett and Manquillo, Wilson got injured in Dortmund and is likely gonna be out for a while, Bruno G got a 5 yellows ban, Tonali's out for yonks through his own misbehaviour, and then yesterday, Almiron does his hamstring, Schar & Longstaff were playing on after bad looking knocks and our best hope at game-changing subs were an 18 year old making his debut and Matt Ritchie, who I forgot we still had on our books. Plus Bournemouth were pretty good - sometimes you've just got to accept the better side won.

Basically gotta spend the next 2 weeks hoping the physios perform a miracle.

Most clubs are suffering with injuries this season. United have been dropping like flies all season. Only just recently we were on our 4th choice right back. 

2 hours ago, thetime said:

Most clubs are suffering with injuries this season. United have been dropping like flies all season. Only just recently we were on our 4th choice right back. 

I thought it was left-back where Man U were having issues given there were games where all of Shaw, Malacia and Reguillon got simultaneous injuries.

But I'm aware it's more than just a Newcastle problem. Spurs and Brighton have quite lengthy lists of damaged players atm, while Chelsea have had bad injury spells as well this season. A UEFA study says hamstring injuries across the board is on the rise as well, so it seems to be quite common problems right now.

Edited by charlierc

14 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I thought it was left-back where Man U were having issues given there were games where all of Shaw, Malacia and Reguillon got simultaneous injuries.

But I'm aware it's more than just a Newcastle problem. Spurs and Brighton have quite lengthy lists of damaged players atm, while Chelsea have had bad injury spells as well this season. A UEFA study says hamstring injuries across the board is on the rise as well, so it seems to be quite common problems right now.

Yeah left back. 

Extremely "dodgy"!

You can add a new name to the moodiness index given Brighton's Roberto de Zerbi said, "I don't like 80 per cent of English referees. I don't like their behaviour on the pitch" after their draw with Sheffield United earlier.

Irony being that the challenge that lead to a Brighton red looked like a fair call. But Brighton got 3/4 PGMOL apologies last year, so I guess it must be a residual thing.

On 11/12/2023 at 12:34 PM, thetime said:

Girona at the top of liga looks a bit of a fairytale story, then you looked into it. 

Half owned by the city owners, other half owned by peps brother. 😃

Screenshot_20231112_122837_Chrome.jpg

Even then, it's a side that has had less than 5 seasons in La Liga in its entire history and has both the league's smallest stadium and one of its smallest wage bills.

It's not exactly the sparkliest fairytale but it's not like they've suddenly got a Real Madrid/Barcelona level-wage bill.

22 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

10 point deduction for Everton. Sadly there are 3 really sh*t clubs in the Premier league this year so they'll probably still stay up.

They're on 4 points now. Utd, Newcastle, Chelsea, Spurs, City, Villa all to play in the next 6 weeks or so. They could be in trouble.