Football 2023/24

charlierc

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I would argue a promotion with Burnley makes you more qualified than an ex player with strong links with little/no managerial experience at the top level. 

2 hours ago, thetime said:

Of course yeah, but they don't usually get the top gigs in world football. 

Bayern might of identified the next great coach. Be interesting anyway. 

I mean, pretty much - rebuilding Burnley after their 2022 relegation and getting promoted was good work by Kompany. But that's not normally the prelude to being thrown straight in at Bayern Munich.

Perhaps the only parallel I can think of was Frank Lampard's first Chelsea appointment on the back of Derby County getting into the play-offs, although even then, that probably owed a lot to other circumstances such as Lampard's acclaimed stint as a player there.

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I mean, pretty much - rebuilding Burnley after their 2022 relegation and getting promoted was good work by Kompany. But that's not normally the prelude to being thrown straight in at Bayern Munich.

Perhaps the only parallel I can think of was Frank Lampard's first Chelsea appointment on the back of Derby County getting into the play-offs, although even then, that probably owed a lot to other circumstances such as Lampard's acclaimed stint as a player there.

what's fat frank doing now?

On 5/27/2024 at 9:49 AM, pink_triangle said:

Martin seems to be a complete idealist  in terms of style so I think the lack of pragmatism may be found out in the premiership. Interesting only 5 northern teams left which apparently lowest in the premiership era.

as a southerner, its nice to see more southern teams doing well at the moment.in the past it tended to be just soton. now there's Brighton & b'mouth too. and no sign of Pompey.

22 minutes ago, charlierc said:

There's been a few successes of ex players doing well. Most notably daglish, pep, souness and zidane, even di matteo won the champions league. It's nothing new, even going back to wilf mcguinness. But they all had strong links to previous clubs. 

57 minutes ago, Neil said:

as a southerner, its nice to see more southern teams doing well at the moment.in the past it tended to be just soton. now there's Brighton & b'mouth too. and no sign of Pompey.

I mean, the Premier League has barely any northerners for next season. Just the two Manchester clubs, two Merseysiders and Newcastle, with nothing from Lancashire and Yorkshire. Will be a very lop-sided look next year.

And indeed for Newcastle fans, a lot of time spent on trains and buses to go to any away game. But then that seems to be the case more often than not.

41 minutes ago, thetime said:

There's been a few successes of ex players doing well. Most notably daglish, pep, souness and zidane, even di matteo won the champions league. It's nothing new, even going back to wilf mcguinness. But they all had strong links to previous clubs. 

Sure. I know not every situation is one where a great manager is a failed or frustrated player, as were Wenger, Mourinho, Klopp, etc.

But it is also a point that usually if a big club is chucking in an ex-player, it tends to be the actual club's greats, as we had even with why Lampard got the leg-up into Chelsea. 

Certainly it will be intriguing next season to see if Bayern Munich haven't just bet the farm on a weird hunch. And indeed how Kompany adapts to working for FC Hollywood with all their behind-the-scenes politicking.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Sure. I know not every situation is one where a great manager is a failed or frustrated player, as were Wenger, Mourinho, Klopp, etc.

But it is also a point that usually if a big club is chucking in an ex-player, it tends to be the actual club's greats, as we had even with why Lampard got the leg-up into Chelsea. 

wasn't he roman's favourite?

Edited by Neil

3 hours ago, charlierc said:

Certainly it will be intriguing next season to see if Bayern Munich haven't just bet the farm on a weird hunch. And indeed how Kompany adapts to working for FC Hollywood with all their behind-the-scenes politicking.

To be fair to Chelsea they give English managers a chance, not many of the top sides do. 

Utd not appointed one since 1981.

Arsenal not had one since the mid 80s.

Liverpool only a couple since joe Fagans.

14 hours ago, Neil said:

wasn't he roman's favourite?

I think that was part of the reason why, yes.

Tbf in his first season, finishing 4th in the Premier League despite a transfer embargo was not a bad way to go about it. Everything after however... yeesh.

There were so many Real Madrid fans on the Strand in London yesterday ahead of their trip up to Wembley. Can only assume that they are rather delighted with how things panned out with winning title 15 of a competition their chairman wants to replace.

On 6/2/2024 at 9:40 AM, charlierc said:

There were so many Real Madrid fans on the Strand in London yesterday ahead of their trip up to Wembley. Can only assume that they are rather delighted with how things panned out with winning title 15 of a competition their chairman wants to replace.

Imagine winning the champions league on the saturday, your fifteenth in total, and then signing one of the best players in the world on a free a couple of days later. 

FFS, spoilt bastards need a bit of down to make all this upside a bit more appreciated! 

14 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Imagine winning the champions league on the saturday, your fifteenth in total, and then signing one of the best players in the world on a free a couple of days later. 

FFS, spoilt bastards need a bit of down to make all this upside a bit more appreciated! 

They've won more champions leagues in the last 10 years than league titles. 

Which is a bit crazy. Although perhaps not so crazy. When you think Spain and England have had a stranglehold on the champions league in the last 14 years, only Bayern breaking that. 

Edited by thetime

12 minutes ago, thetime said:

They've won more champions leagues in the last 10 years than league titles. 

Which is a bit crazy. Although perhaps not so crazy. When you think Spain and England have had a stranglehold on the champions league in the last 14 years, only Bayern breaking that. 

Also seems to demonstrate that Barcelona aren't all that far behind Real after all despite their financial self-sabotage.

25 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

They just don't do things by halves, clearly.

Vinicius Jr is a fantastic player and they're lucky to still have him.

6 hours ago, balti-pie said:

And yup, Mbappe to Real Madrid confirmed.

Reportedly taking a pay-cut on his weekly PSG wage, albeit boosted by the fact they're paying a gargantuan golden hello.

6 minutes ago, thetime said:

Was wondering what this was about given it was broken by The Times, but behind a paywall so unable to read the actual content.

Given this was a rule brought in thanks to complaints about the potential for the Saudi PiF to plough money into Newcastle, I can see why the similarly funded Man City would complain. But given a majority of PL clubs voted for it, I'm not sure what they can exactly do.

just found out that historically, arsenal played a part in enriching Richard tice ( the guy who was leader of the reform party until a few days ago).

maybe without arsenal we would have never left the EU.

2 hours ago, thetime said:

Newcastle then.

Screenshot_20240605_192656_X.thumb.jpg.e666b3530dfc7a0ff39b379b17499a6e.jpg

I can see it. The related party sponsorship rules that Man City are protesting was brought in just after the Saudi takeover. Though so far, the reports are that we're more passive than the Sky Blues in going hell for leather with this.

4 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I can see it. The related party sponsorship rules that Man City are protesting was brought in just after the Saudi takeover. Though so far, the reports are that we're more passive than the Sky Blues in going hell for leather with this.

who'd have thought that the despots would support each other.

51 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Newcastle would do well to distance themselves from city.