Football 2023/24

charlierc

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Newcastle would do well to distance themselves from city. 

not going to happen, newc's owners took their lead from city.

10 hours ago, thetime said:

Newcastle would do well to distance themselves from city. 

‘Mail Sport understands that Chelsea, Aston Villa and Newcastle all believe the champions have valid concerns ahead of a hearing on Monday at which City will attempt to get rules that limit how much companies linked to club owners can spend on sponsorship deals thrown out.

‘While Chelsea have provided a statement which challenges the updated rules on associated party transactions (APT), especially with regards to multi-club ownership, it is understood that Villa co-owner, the Egyptian billionaire Nassef Sawiris, is close to City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak and that he shares frustrations over imposed limits on spending.’

But the Daily Telegraph claims that Newcastle are expected to take a neutral stance over Man City standing against APT rules to ‘avoid being caught in crossfire of bitter dispute over financial rules’.

‘Newcastle United are reluctant to outwardly join forces with Manchester City in the Premier League civil war over state-sponsored spending freedoms.

‘The Saudi-owned club are expected to take a neutral stance in other competition-wide financial discussions on Thursday to avoid being caught in the crossfire of an escalating dispute.

‘Club sources also refused to be drawn on whether Newcastle are the undisclosed team backing City at their landmark legal hearing next week.’

9 hours ago, zahidf said:

‘Mail Sport understands that Chelsea, Aston Villa and Newcastle all believe the champions have valid concerns ahead of a hearing on Monday at which City will attempt to get rules that limit how much companies linked to club owners can spend on sponsorship deals thrown out.

‘While Chelsea have provided a statement which challenges the updated rules on associated party transactions (APT), especially with regards to multi-club ownership, it is understood that Villa co-owner, the Egyptian billionaire Nassef Sawiris, is close to City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak and that he shares frustrations over imposed limits on spending.’

But the Daily Telegraph claims that Newcastle are expected to take a neutral stance over Man City standing against APT rules to ‘avoid being caught in crossfire of bitter dispute over financial rules’.

‘Newcastle United are reluctant to outwardly join forces with Manchester City in the Premier League civil war over state-sponsored spending freedoms.

‘The Saudi-owned club are expected to take a neutral stance in other competition-wide financial discussions on Thursday to avoid being caught in the crossfire of an escalating dispute.

‘Club sources also refused to be drawn on whether Newcastle are the undisclosed team backing City at their landmark legal hearing next week.’

One paper saying Newcastle are all in on backing City's crusade and another saying Newcastle aren't quite as invested. Clear as mud.

I thought it would have been Grealish over Gordon or Eze (as much as the latter is in scintillating form).

The new partner to Stones and the lack of a fit left back are concerns…

30 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I thought it would have been Grealish over Gordon or Eze (as much as the latter is in scintillating form).

The new partner to Stones and the lack of a fit left back are concerns…

Left-back is unquestionably the problem area. Plan B appears to be sticking either Trippier or Gomez out of position into the role. It's why I was a little surprise that Chilwell wasn't taken, despite his poor form at Chelsea, or that one of the 83 Crystal Palace players being taken a chance on was Tyrick Mitchell, who was one of the many players who impressed at the end of the season just gone.

Some strange decisions. I would think an early exit and he won't be able to talk his way out this time.

Edited by lost

2 minutes ago, lost said:

Some strange decisions. I would think an early exit and he won't be able to talk his way out this time.

Off to united anyway.. 😃

On 6/6/2024 at 8:13 PM, lost said:

It's seemingly harder to get knocked out of the Euros now then it is to progress from the group, given that in 4/6 groups, the top three progress.

Serbia, Denmark and Slovenia are possible banana skins, or at least certainly have potential for England to stumble against judging by the slog against Iceland that England are playing out as I write this. Though given Danish fans think they've gone backwards since being semi finalists at the last Euros and Slovenia lack quality beyond 2/3 players, 4 points from those two should avoid that scenario.

... maybe.

On 6/6/2024 at 8:16 PM, thetime said:

Off to united anyway.. 😃

I mean, there's about 40 different names linked with that.

Be something if they do the equivalent of Leeds randomly hiring Dave Hockaday, whose only previous experience before taking the Leeds job was midtable in the National League with Forest Green Rovers.

16 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I mean, there's about 40 different names linked with that.

Be something if they do the equivalent of Leeds randomly hiring Dave Hockaday, whose only previous experience before taking the Leeds job was midtable in the National League with Forest Green Rovers.

Given some of the names being bandied about, I hope we stick with ETH for another year. 

I certainly don't want Southgate!

15 hours ago, Neil said:

were not going to win the euros when we cant beat Iceland.

Portugal won the Euros in 2016 while only beating Wales in 90 minutes, while Greece have won the whole thing. Ridiculous things can happen in tournament football.

Saying that, I don't feel convinced that England's defensive options are robust enough to win this tournament. I see lots of people claiming Southgate is wasting the squad, but to me it feels unbalanced with the attackers being of higher quality.

Still, guess we'll see what turns up against Serbia next week.

On 6/7/2024 at 10:13 PM, Neil said:

were not going to win the euros when we cant beat Iceland.

Not so sure. These pre-tournament friendlies are hopeless. Scotland game was awful last night. Resting players, avoiding injuries and getting “minutes” into players who might not feature is often the name of the game.

Looking forward to the tournament starting next week.

1 hour ago, Comfy Bean said:

Not so sure. These pre-tournament friendlies are hopeless. Scotland game was awful last night. Resting players, avoiding injuries and getting “minutes” into players who might not feature is often the name of the game.

Looking forward to the tournament starting next week.

good to see your goalies are still sh*t. 😛 

On 6/8/2024 at 1:56 PM, charlierc said:

Portugal won the Euros in 2016 while only beating Wales in 90 minutes, while Greece have won the whole thing. Ridiculous things can happen in tournament football.

Saying that, I don't feel convinced that England's defensive options are robust enough to win this tournament. I see lots of people claiming Southgate is wasting the squad, but to me it feels unbalanced with the attackers being of higher quality.

Still, guess we'll see what turns up against Serbia next week.

Absolutely this, 100%. Southgate has enough nous to know the only way to win tournaments is to keep clean sheets/concede very little, like Portugal and Greece both did, hence the focus being on dour shitbag football when in the knockout stages.

BUT england just dont have the defenders good enough to do that - and most definitely not without a left back who isnt broken, or out of position. My prediction - standard tournament where england are knocked out by the first decent team they face, wherever that may be - second round, quarters, a lucky run to the semis- they just cant do it when it really gets to the coalface. Pretty much every tournament winner has to win a penalty shootout too, and england are very lacking at those historically. (though those runs do come to an end, at some point) 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

Against a team still TBC. I read The Netherlands is likely?

Seems England are in a much easier route to the final. Potentially Holland and then Italy, both average. 

28 minutes ago, thetime said:

Seems England are in a much easier route to the final. Potentially Holland and then Italy, both average. 

Just a shame England are playing below average.  Last night was a little more encouraging, but still pretty bad.

19 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

Just a shame England are playing below average.  Last night was a little more encouraging, but still pretty bad.

Southgate just needs to put his faith in Mainoo and Palmer. 

I know the festival have said no to officially showing it in a field etc but I wonder of they end up listing all the smaller venues that might have it on. Could be tweeted out for example Sunday morning. 

OR will they just not mention at all to avoid massive crowds flooding smaller bars etc.

• 4 weeks later...