Ban the f**king flags

Welshinexile

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

IMG_4850.jpeg

who takes a kite to a festival 

Do they mean those other things people put on top of flag poles, sorry don't know how to describe them... Often they're spinny things?

Like this

rainbow-spinsock-std_1.png.2435203e90700febbc90b0ae3b0a5a5a.png

Anyway, where is that sign from? Are they actually banning flags? 

11 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Do they mean those other things people put on top of flag poles, sorry don't know how to describe them... Often they're spinny things?

Like this

rainbow-spinsock-std_1.png.2435203e90700febbc90b0ae3b0a5a5a.png

Anyway, where is that sign from? Are they actually banning flags? 

The sight is from the instagram stories of one of the sign writers at the festival. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Think about the various thoughts that someone goes through to get to the end result of taking a flag into the pyramid crowd.

1. I’ve got a really funny idea/ country flag that I think everyone will think is funny/ appreciate seeing it just like I do. How could they not? I like it so everyone else will. 

Or I don’t care if anyone thinks it’s funny. They are wrong and I am right.

2.  Make the flag at home whilst chuckling to yourself all week thinking how funny/ original you are. Have a w*nk you deserve it.

3. Take the flag in the car/ train and carry all the way to the campsite. Still thinking this is the funniest flag ever and everyone is going to like it. 

4. Come Friday morning carry it all the way to the front or the pyramid and stay there most of the day thinking this is the funniest flag ever. I can’t wait to see it on tv. My friends will think I’m so cool.

5. Go home Monday and immediately watch BBC footage to try and spot your hilarious flag. 

6. Cry realising you’re a f**kwit. 

7. Do it again the next year.

To be honest the flags and the attitude attached to flag bearers is one of the main reasons I now avoid the Pyramid.. I always like to be in the sweet spot by the sound desk, great view, nice to put your back on the barrier, and sounds awesome.. now you just can’t see anything.. how the hell do the sound and lighting techs manage?

saw leftfield at the Park last year and some prick a few rows back was waving his flag really low into the crowd through the whole set.. literally an inch from my face.. find it so distracting.. 

some announcements and putting up notices about flags on the screens would really work..  in a sort of “Don’t be a Selfish Flag w*nker” kind of way.. 

Edited by mrfunk
Fat fingers
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, mph said:

Isle of Wight on TV now, no flags in sight

People can see the stage

Sky arts channel

Tis interesting in the coverage on the beeb recently when you see sets, so from a decade or so (Beyonce) you can certainly see plenty but a lot less than at headliner time today. 

1 minute ago, clarkete said:

Tis interesting in the coverage on the beeb recently when you see sets, so from a decade or so (Beyonce) you can certainly see plenty but a lot less than at headliner time today. 

5 or 6 years ago it did seem to be tapering off a bit again, but post Covid it's definitely back with a vengeance.

On 2/25/2024 at 8:54 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

The vote was - what? - 10 years ago now. No harm in another one.

I remember the vote. GF didn't advertise it very well. When they counted up it was a slim win for a none ban.
Thing is they left the actual page running, probably by accident,  people kept voting, a couple of days later the vast majority wanted them banned.

Lets be clear, I only want them banned in front of stages, not in the camping fields or walking around the site.

Selfish, selfish. Obscuring the view of 100's of people behind them

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

flags are just a continuation of the 'i'm the main character' syndrome pervading society at the moment. Especially when you add a bit of narcissism and 'f**k everyone else' to it. 

Looks great on their insta for their 4 followers though thats the main thing.

yes i hate flags.

• Upvote 2

Jeez, how good is all your eyesight, I'm pretty much always looking at the screen.

We bring a small inflatable with a few lights on it. We fire it up when one of our gang can't find us in the crowd - I couldn't tell you the amount of people over the years that have asked us to put it to help find their lost friends too + how incredibly grateful they've been to us for having it.

On 6/22/2024 at 6:48 AM, TheDayman said:

Jeez, how good is all your eyesight, I'm pretty much always looking at the screen.

We bring a small inflatable with a few lights on it. We fire it up when one of our gang can't find us in the crowd - I couldn't tell you the amount of people over the years that have asked us to put it to help find their lost friends too + how incredibly grateful they've been to us for having it.

People are sh*tty at finding friends in crowds apparently. And dont know bow to use a mobile and text

Personally at Coachella I have a weird radar and know where to find my mates at most sets I assume theyre at or interested in. Helps when most just go to the sound desk and hang out there so its easy. No flags or totems needed. 

On 6/22/2024 at 2:48 PM, TheDayman said:

They block the screens too. They're not just used by people in the middle.

9 hours ago, maelzoid said:

image.thumb.jpeg.6d57b80dd39c1472d12d5394ebf3206f.jpeg

Tell me again how the flags are cool and add to the vibe.

Is that this weekend? 

Surely the final straw? Advertising a commercial brand, and a sh*tty middle class, tory one at that! 

I’ve done a 180 and I’m fully on board with the no flags in the pits, inside tents, or at small venues rule now. Still don’t want to see them banned entirely, but get them off the bloody tv and away from the stages. 

It doesn’t help that the flags are sh*t this year, and were predictable… I’ve seen at least 3 ‘Hawk Tuah’ flags… Like that was ever going to be an original idea. 🥱

13 hours ago, ICESTONE said:

White middle class people waving sh*tty Chinese mass produced Palestine flags they've clearly just bought (you can see the creases) is cringe as f**k, especially when most of them will be left in their sh*t covered tesco tent they will leave behind on Sunday/Monday.

Smile a bit, pussycat.