Ban the f**king flags

Welshinexile

50 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Don't know about the Google 1 but what3words uses GPS and doesn't need a data signal (it won't load the background map if you're offline, but you don't really need that at glasto). You just need to wait 30 secs to 1 min after opening it so it can get a more accurate location for you.

33 minutes ago, stuie said:

What happened? It doesn’t even need 3G or 4G apart from when sharing/receiving a location to find. 

That's a good point both. 

If only there was a chance in 4 months and we had tickets to go and test it 🤔

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I was about to say this. The app loaded fine but it had a hard time pinpointing me and was giving me a different W3W every few seconds. And not even slightly close to the previous one, it had my location shooting around all over the place.

It sometimes takes 20-30 seconds after opening the app for the phone to calibrate it's location, during which time the behaviour you describe is possible.

It should settle down after that though - if it doesn't I'd have to assume that the GPS on the phone is playing up.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have used W3W and my family all use Life 360 https://www.life360.com/uk/   both worked fine without wifi.  the life 360 one doens't get you within 3 yards but its more life 40-50 m,   I accept that this is less accurate than a flag but you can get where they are within the site if they get lost or someone loses their phone. On the losing your phone issue - change the screen picture to one of your face and have your name on it, also have the phone number of someone you are with. If the phone is found and gets handed in this really helps. Last year we managed to reunite at least a dozen people with their phones within hours. I work up at the park - on an avarage 8 hr shift I get handed about 6 phones.  they are all loggged in a lost property book. once a day they are all sent to central lost propery office up at the farm and after that we can't do anything to reunite.  but we do try to contact if we have time.  it helps if there is a number on the phone case/open screen that we can call.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Why do I think it is going to be even more intolerable this year? I really don't get why they don't at the very least tell people to put them down when a band is playing. At £355 we do need to at the very least see a bit of stage and screen. Could be the last year I waste my time at pyramid looking at flags

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Mich1268 said:

Why do I think it is going to be even more intolerable this year? I really don't get why they don't at the very least tell people to put them down when a band is playing. At £355 we do need to at the very least see a bit of stage and screen. Could be the last year I waste my time at pyramid looking at flags

Totally agree. I love to catch a glimpse of the actual stage from time to time (and I'm short, so it's only ever odd glimpses), it makes me feel I'm really 'there'. The flags have got to the point of ruining it now, far too many. It's ridiculous when you can't even see the screens any more.

Ban them or only let them at the back of the pyramid field. Worst is when you are in Woodies or another tent and have a good position then someone rocks up with a massive unfunny flag and gets in your way. Should be banned from the tent based stages at the very least. 

I just can’t fathom why anyone would want to cart one around all day? Flag people, speak to me, why do you do it? To get on TV? Can’t surely be so your mates can find you? I went in 95, no one had a phone and we found each other every time. Used the old ‘if I lose you I’ll meet you by X after the gig’ never failed me then and it wouldn’t fail me now but now we actually have mobile phones to find each other. #bantheflags

Edited by wozwebs
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

Except the e fests one😉😊

It’ll have one outing on the wed and appear at the meet … after that I’ll have it for the evening as I doubt I’ll go back to tent with it … probably stay at the tent after that tbh 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wozwebs said:

Ban them or only let them at the back of the pyramid field. Worst is when you are in Woodies or another tent and have a good position then someone rocks up with a massive unfunny flag and gets in your way. Should be banned from the tent based stages at the very least. 

I just can’t fathom why anyone would want to cart one around all day? Flag people, speak to me, why do you do it? To get on TV? Can’t surely be so your mates can find you? I went in 95, no one had a phone and we found each other every time. Used the old ‘if I lose you I’ll meet you by X after the gig’ never failed me then and it wouldn’t fail me now but now we actually have mobile phones to find each other. #bantheflags

I was 7years old in 1995 when my parents took me to my first festival. 

We had a flag so we could find our way back to camp. It's definitely not a recent phenomenon. 

That said, I haven't continued the tradition - we use everyone else flags to triangulate instead! 

ive never taken one but they do add to the atmosphere. also ive never really thought they blocked my view... then again i normally get quite close to the front for most stuff.

Ban the people who want to ban the flags, I say!

We are a pathetic, joyless nation devoid of colour and vibrancy - the flags are a great sight. Not just when you're down there - but for everyone watching (and globally) at home.

It sets Glastonbury aside as a festival with a culture and not just a bland audience staring back as per every other festival. Glastonbury rightly won't want to lose all that.

Soften your egos and be accepting of those wanting to add colour.. far bigger things to get worked up about.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, Barkwin said:

We are a pathetic, joyless nation devoid of colour and vibrancy - the flags are a great sight. Not just when you're down there - but for everyone watching (and globally) at home.

It sets Glastonbury aside as a festival with a culture and not just a bland audience staring back as per every other festival. Glastonbury rightly won't want to lose all that.

Soften your egos and be accepting of those wanting to add colour.. far bigger things to get worked up about.

Not about egos, about being able to see the gig. The egos lie with the flag holders. Why would you take one? Other than to be seen on TV?  My mate who watches it from home said how annoying they are on telly. Not sure who likes them other than the minority who take them

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Barkwin said:

No. Got nothing to do with my ego, it's about wanting to see the bands I've paid a lot of money to see without pushing past people/taking the whole gig to get to the toilet and back

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Superscally said:

No. Got nothing to do with my ego, it's about wanting to see the bands I've paid a lot of money to see without pushing past people/taking the whole gig to get to the toilet and back

Am sure you'll survive, mate!

One of this country's worst traits is constantly pushing for bans - and trying to stamp out what we don't agree with. It's quite telling when you look at joyless English football support to what goes on on the continent. Or pubs closing at 11, fireworks banned etc. Let there be colour and joy.

It'd clearly be a big loss if they went - and much of Glastonbury's culture and distinction from your average festival is through those who add colour to the crowd. 

Anyway all the best to yas

• Upvote 1

I’m always back and forth. It’s part of the feel of the festival, picturing a crowd without them feels weird. But I can’t say they don’t piss me off more than once when they block my view. 

2 minutes ago, Barkwin said:

Am sure you'll survive, mate!

One of this country's worst traits is constantly pushing for bans - and trying to stamp out what we don't agree with. It's quite telling when you look at joyless English football support to what goes on on the continent. Or pubs closing at 11, fireworks banned etc. Let there be colour and joy.

It'd clearly be a big loss if they went - and much of Glastonbury's culture and distinction from your average festival is through those who add colour to the crowd. 

Anyway all the best to yas

I like colour and joy. Don't care if my pub closes at 11. No firm opinion on fireworks. No idea what you are talking about with joyless England support. The minority of flag holders ruin the view for many. I assume you take a flag and also assume you won't admit to it now. Either way take it down when a band plays so the other 60000 can see the gig.

I thought I had already stated my opinion on this thread about a month ago but it appears to not be here so...

I'm in the massive minority but surely Glastonbury should be accepting the minorities etc so I'll happily say that I like the flags at Glastonbury because like others have said it adds to the unique atmosphere etc of Glastonbury and it has become a bit of a tradition. Everyone I know who watches at home love seeing them all. I have an added interest, which is why I say I'm in the minority, which is that I have autism and flags are like an obsession of mine, they distract me from getting overwhelmed in the large crowds and without those distractions I wouldn't be able to stay to watch the shows. 

Now I'm not saying that things have to change or stay just for me, one single person out of 200,000 but as this is a forum to discuss all things Glastonbury I thought I'd give my 2 pennies worth. 

Maybe a few flags are pointless and get in the way of watching the shows but surely people speaking loudly during gigs or all the phones out constantly during gigs is a bigger problem . 

21 minutes ago, ourkid1984 said:

I thought I had already stated my opinion on this thread about a month ago but it appears to not be here so...

I'm in the massive minority but surely Glastonbury should be accepting the minorities etc so I'll happily say that I like the flags at Glastonbury because like others have said it adds to the unique atmosphere etc of Glastonbury and it has become a bit of a tradition. Everyone I know who watches at home love seeing them all. I have an added interest, which is why I say I'm in the minority, which is that I have autism and flags are like an obsession of mine, they distract me from getting overwhelmed in the large crowds and without those distractions I wouldn't be able to stay to watch the shows. 

Now I'm not saying that things have to change or stay just for me, one single person out of 200,000 but as this is a forum to discuss all things Glastonbury I thought I'd give my 2 pennies worth. 

Maybe a few flags are pointless and get in the way of watching the shows but surely people speaking loudly during gigs or all the phones out constantly during gigs is a bigger problem . 

I think what you say may be the whole point - should the minority be represented when the possibly 'perceived' majority do not want that? Which way lies democracy? 

Look at videos of the 90’s, crowds down the front jumping around going crazy, that’s a proper atmosphere, not people stood holding a flag which essentially is saying “look at me on TV”. Roskilde did it first and some copied it over here and a few is OK but it’s just stupid now. I’ve yet to hear a good reason for why someone would spend hours walking around carrying one?

We already had a referendum on flags once. Therefore, you must forever accept the result of the referendum.