Ban the f**king flags

Welshinexile

22 minutes ago, wozwebs said:

Look at videos of the 90’s, crowds down the front jumping around going crazy, that’s a proper atmosphere, not people stood holding a flag which essentially is saying “look at me on TV”. Roskilde did it first and some copied it over here and a few is OK but it’s just stupid now. I’ve yet to hear a good reason for why someone would spend hours walking around carrying one?

It's just as bad as the seemingly new trend of watching a gig through your phone. Just don't get it. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

It's just as bad as the seemingly new trend of watching a gig through your phone. Just don't get it. 

Yes, they’ve basically killed mosh pits. Was at the James gig last week and they said over the speakers just before they came on “James politely ask you to please put your phones away” and the vast majority did. Made for a much better gig. 

Edited by wozwebs
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Talcroft said:

I was 7years old in 1995 when my parents took me to my first festival. 

We had a flag so we could find our way back to camp. It's definitely not a recent phenomenon. 

That said, I haven't continued the tradition - we use everyone else flags to triangulate instead! 

I don’t think anyone is complaining about people having a flag by their tent to help them find it.

7 minutes ago, duke88 said:

I don’t think anyone is complaining about people having a flag by their tent to help them find it.

No, that’s perfectly acceptable, it’s not blocking anyone’s view of a stage and you don’t have to carry it about for days on end. 

31 minutes ago, stuie said:

We already had a referendum on flags once. Therefore, you must forever accept the result of the referendum. 

But what if we held another one? Just to be sure 🤷‍♂️😉

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I predict this year will be the year people really go all out on using flags for advertising, and because of that it'll be the last year of the flags.

I am willing to mange and cope with the flags, I do appreciate the funniniess of some of the flags, but I do think we're going to end up with lots of advertising ones/tiktok handles/86 of the same flag purchased from Temu. 

Flags are fine and some are funny but only when used before the band/performer comes on stage. 

If you have flags anytime after then your just a selfish p rick 

The phone things annoys me more that Flags, I with Sheldon Cooper on this , Flags a whimsical,  people standing there filming a whole set or gig with their phone. they can get in the bin.

The only reason to take a flag to a festival is to locate your tent. Flags should be banned from all stages. They don’t add to the atmosphere, they don’t add anything. All they do is block the view. About 2% are funny, the rest are just crap.

Rant over.

Oh, yeah, anyone who films any gig, especially at Glastonbury, is an idiot. Nobody wants to see your sh*tty, jerky footage of Shania Twain on the Pyramid as they can watch a professionally filmed version on iplayer. 

Second rant over.

On @gazzared's lines, have the flags up before bands, down during em and of your mate genuinely can’t find you, whack em up briefly. That would at least massively cut down the number of em and make watching bands bearable and still have some flags for those who seem to like them more than the bands...

• Like 1

Too many funny posts on here and all out of reactions. 😂👏😂👏😂

from available video footage I’ve not seen any flags on EDM stages - maybe BPM too high for waving?! 

Over the years I've gotten used to them, if that's what people want to do, have at it. Personally I'm baffled why anyone would bother carrying one. I guess its a mix of trying to see themselves on the telly / finding mates / bantz.

The radio x flags need to get in the bin along with that I heart sausage flag from 09.

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRiZfU7i3_Dw2HNprg6Re

But who can turn down an offer like this?

I think the only way to get rid of them is if all the flag haters turn up this year carrying commercial flags like this.

It will be a sacrifice but will force organisers into banning them next year. 

Filming on phones is mildly annoying but at least they aren’t blocking the view for thousands behind them. 

Edited by I am Jon

11 hours ago, wozwebs said:

Yes, they’ve basically killed mosh pits. Was at the James gig last week and they said over the speakers just before they came on “James politely ask you to please put your phones away” and the vast majority did. Made for a much better gig. 

I was at Richard Hawley last week and we remarked on how few people were filming for any length of time, just a quick photo or video for less than half a song and that was it.

On the filming topic, that's a part of life now.  There's plenty of folks on here who hungrily consume loads of vlogs as a way of hyping themselves up in the run-up to the fest. Those don't created without pointing a phone at something.

11 hours ago, DeanoL said:

I predict this year will be the year people really go all out on using flags for advertising, and because of that it'll be the last year of the flags.

Maybe in the long run Radio X will have done us all a favour