The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

4 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

I'm genuinely not trying to be negative, the vibes were immaculate start of the week.

It's just numerous runs from different sources are now predicting a much cooler / wetter festival disappointingly.  

I think its good to look across all the runs, but again bear in mind the ensembles as opposed to just one singular op run.

This was for the 00Z run and we should have the ensemble for the 06Z run later today (so it will be interesting as to where this run has sat) but we can see from the 00Z run that the op run was going pretty strongly below the mean, its also more of an outlier. Theres a fair few runs still going for something over 1010mb of pressure. Also again, as wonderful as GFS is it isn't as high resolution and it does get postionings wrong, and it can't as accurately pinpoint localised rain as say the ECMWF.

But as with this every year, what is happening now will likely not be an acurate reflection of what it's going to be on the models in 4 days time. 

prmslSomerset (1).webp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, mikeydredlox said:

If it hammers down at the festival get under cover and drink enough cider until you stop caring.

Have a great time everyone.

So many times I've had to have a word with myself after sulking, due to waking up to the sound of rain on the tent. When you realise that everyone's in the same position and you make peace with that fact, it can be a great leveller and some of my best Glastonbury experiences have been in unfavourable weather. Galvanise yourself, put on the appropriate clothes and lean into it, whatever the conditions. When you're past caring about things beyond your control, it's very liberating. 

Sure, we all have preferred weather, but come rain or shine, everything's gonna be alright.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, behindthebunhouse said:

With respect, I think you might be letting this get to you too much - these computer modelled charts, enjoyable as they are, are all basically voodoo this far out. It'll be fine, you'll have a great time, the weather will be okay 

This is the most factual post to date 

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

So many times I've had to have a word with myself after sulking, due to waking up to the sound of rain on the tent. When you realise that everyone's in the same position and you make peace with that fact, it can be a great leveller and some of my best Glastonbury experiences have been in unfavourable weather. Galvanise yourself, put on the appropriate clothes and lean into it, whatever the conditions. When you're past caring about things beyond your control, it's very liberating. 

Sure, we all have preferred weather, but come rain or shine, everything's gonna be alright.

It’s the sitting down that’s my issue . It’s a pain in the backside not being able to plonk your ass for a few mins on the ground . Sometimes need to take a little time out (medical needs ) 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

It’s the sitting down that’s my issue . It’s a pain in the backside not being able to plonk your ass for a few mins on the ground . Sometimes need to take a little time out (medical needs ) 

Lightweight camp chair? But yes I agree it makes it a lot less comfortable wet and muddy.

49 minutes ago, behindthebunhouse said:

In 15 years of attending this festival and keeping up with this thread in the weeks before, I have never known it to be anything other than a feverish rollercoaster of drivel until the festival's actually in full swing (and even then, forecasts often bear little resemblance to reality a couple of hours later). You might as well ask one of the Mystic Meg fortune tellers in the Green Fields; her guess would be as good as these GFS charts 

Feverish rollercoaster of Drivel. That’s a good band name. 

17 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I’ve considered it … something ideally I’d like to avoid having to carry 

Black rubbish bin bag. Folds in your pocket and when used fold the wet/mud internally and stick back in pocket.

Used them in 2016 and was able to sit every day.

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Black rubbish bin bag. Folds in your pocket and when used fold the wet/mud internally and stick back in pocket.

yep will be doing this for sure ... just a bit more awkward for doing injections and dealing with low blood sugars ... will cope im sure but not one to say that mud or rain doesnt take some of the fun out of things ... for me it does and its bloody exhausting .. will like everyone make the best out of it and enjoy anyway 

14 minutes ago, devonhammer said:

As I can't walk much any more, I now travel around on this (with a comfy chair attached)

image.thumb.png.8a9595e194d755a182b86306761bb3d7.png

Just out of interest, how do you find getting around the site? Do people get out the way or make negative comments etc

12 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Or a supermarket bag for life, one of the good ones, cutdown both sides and opened out flat. Easily folded back up and gives a decent surface to sit on.  Even in dry conditions it stops you accidentally sitting on the remains of a pizza that’s hidden in the grass!

IMG_2179.thumb.jpeg.809bc6d8e6239cdcfbdd58d4a9fbf87e.jpeg

this is a farmfoods one, other supermarkets available 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

yep will be doing this for sure ... just a bit more awkward for doing injections and dealing with low blood sugars ... will cope im sure but not one to say that mud or rain doesnt take some of the fun out of things ... for me it does and its bloody exhausting .. will like everyone make the best out of it and enjoy anyway 

Waterproof trousers maybe?

43 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Just out of interest, how do you find getting around the site? Do people get out the way or make negative comments etc

Almost always very good. Sometimes hard to get to a mobility platform at headliner time, but generally fine. Had one incident when a lad was showing off to his mates and jumped on the back. I think he was trying to force me to do a wheelie, but flipped the whole thing backwards. His mates absolutely ripped him a new one and made sure that I was OK.